Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Drain plug for water tank on 2015 Sunstar 27N LX

Manual says the drain plug for my fresh water tank is under the bed (and remove a panel). Looked there and could not find it. Checking other Sunstar models the plug is in the bay after the rear wheels on the drivers side. Can anyone help me find the plug?

Anybody have this problem. When I am hooked up to water I sometimes get water slowly leaking into my fresh water tank. I think there is a faulty check valve from the tank to the system. It usually happens after using the pump and connecting to a water source. Sometimes I can stop it by disconnecting the water source and running the pump, then reconnecting. Anybody know where the check valve is?

Thanks.
rhb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have the exact same RV, the Winnebago Vista 27N version. No it's not under the bed in this model.

If you open the basement door where the shore cable and fresh water connections are, on the back wall behind the round access door in the floor the drain from the bottom of the water tank is there with a hand operated valve. There is no drain plug you just open the valve.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

My 31BE’s drain valve is under the bed. Out in the bay would be a much better place :(
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
Site Team

The city water filling the fresh tank issue is almost always a faulty or failing check valve built into the water pump. The fix when it happens all the time is to replace your water pump.

Be sure to not use the pump and city water at the same time as that hastens the problem.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I've got that model. If you go to the back storage, there is a metal panel on the passenger side. remove panel and you will see both the bypass valves for the hot water heater to winterize the system as well as a drain valve for the fresh water tank.
DavidMorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:05 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

It is so strange that Winnie put the winterizing valves under that panel. I didn't find them for a few years!

The drain valve that is in there is, I believe, the drain for the water heater, not fresh water tank.

The fresh water tank is drained with a valve behind the outdoor shower area, as described well a few posts ago.

At least on mine that's how it is.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
It is so strange that Winnie put the winterizing valves under that panel. I didn't find them for a few years!

The drain valve that is in there is, I believe, the drain for the water heater, not fresh water tank.

The fresh water tank is drained with a valve behind the outdoor shower area, as described well a few posts ago.

At least on mine that's how it is.
On mine, it is not for the water heater, valve goes to line that goes up above the top of the water heater heater to back and bottom of fresh water tank. there is no connection on that line to hot water heater. You have to pull the plug that is accessed via the exterior hinged panel to drain the hot water heater and flush it out.
leastways for mine that is.

2016 Itasca Sunstar 27N
Old 07-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

After rereading thread, i went back out to RV and looked and sure enough there is a line with a valve in wet bay as well. not real obvious as valve is different kind from all others that i have i coach. It does look like it will empty tank more than the valve I was using. I guess I am still learning about the coach.....
Old 07-25-2019, 02:12 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

So now I am wondering: What is that valve that you thought was a fresh water tank drain and I thought was a water heater drain. Seems like it is neither.

Maybe just a "low point" drain to drain all the piping?
Old 07-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

27N has the water tank drain valve, and 2 drain valves in the cold water piping. One is located by the outlet of the water pump. The other is located behind the inlet of the hot water heater and can only be accessed by removing the metal cover above the hot water heater.

Note that every Winnebago model is different so take all answers from owners that don't have a 27N with a grain of salt.

Note that the way the 27N hot and cold PEX lines are laid out opening these two drains does not completely drain all the water from the lines when winterizing. You have to use RV antifreeze per the Winnebago winterizing instructions or blow the water system out with low pressure compressed air.

I have found this out the hard way over owning my 27N across multiple winters.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:12 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

And, I think, have some concern about the black water rinse line, sprayer, and valve.

Where did your pipes freeze up? Did it crack, or did the Pex handle it?
Old 07-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
And, I think, have some concern about the black water rinse line, sprayer, and valve.

Where did your pipes freeze up? Did it crack, or did the Pex handle it?
Black flush = there is a air admittance valve under the sink at the highest point in the black flush so all water in the black flush line drains out, just make sure not to put the plastic hose cap on until after all the water drains out.

Freeze up =Some water froze in the PEX in the basement somewhere between the water pump area and the bathroom. The runs go right under the bottom of the floor above some un-insulated metal protective covers. No leaks, just could not use water until I got things thawed out. I had winterized without blowing out air or putting in antifreeze and traveled to Memphis TN for the Independence Bowl in January. Temps there were below freezing at night and slightly above freezing daytime. The water had not yet thawed driving from Kansas to Memphis in late December. Had to put an electric heater in the basement to get to the point where I could use water again.

I did have one leak event = When I drained without using anti-freeze, I did not get all the water out of the water line between the tank and the pump. The plastic debris filter next to the inlet side of the water pump had water in it, froze and split the clear plastic part. So, either remove that plastic cap from the filter or use RV anti-freeze. I just go ahead and use RV anti-freeze. It take 2 gallon jugs - one just is not quite enougth to do the job right.

Tags
tank, water