Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Crack around drain

I have a 2009 Winnebago journey 39 z. I notice today i have a crack around the drain in the shower. Anyone know an easy way to fix without having to replace shower pan. All suggests appreciated
garyclegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

How fussy are you?
I suspect it is a fiberglass pan.

I would try to get some dicor down into the crack.
Your first problem s getting the crack cleaned out for a good bond.

Could aso try bondo, but it may crack again later.

Any chance that you can get access from under the shower pan?
And use fiberglass cloth snd resin, thix would be best.
Maybe look for a larger drain.

Regards,

Dan
Old 02-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You could also try some good epoxy glue and work it in the crack and around the area.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

However you fix it it would be a good idea to support the shower floor. Mine flexes some and I plan to put a 2 x 4 on edge under it and use some low expansion foam to support it. there is a vent under the shower that will allow access. I won't block the airflow to the water compartment that is right under the shower as that is how the compartment is heated.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 02-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Used JR weld putty for under water worked great. So far not leaking.
Thanks for the input
Old 02-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Your best bet is something that is flexible as the plastic floor is not rigid. I have the same coach and you can get at the underside of the plastic floor pan through the opening in the front. You best bet for a sealent is 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive/Sealent. It is available at marine stores as well as Lowes. You can use it to apply a plastic patch around the affected area underneath and then use it on the surface to seal the surface crack. It will withstand the flexing that the floor takes. This product is widely used by boaters, is very VERY strong and permanent and cannot be easily removed. It comes in black or white, in tubes or a caulking tube, and in 24 hour or 7 day cure versions. You can also use it on exterior adhesive failures - it is much better than epoxy as it is still somewhat flexible when cured and much stronger. Once you have used it, I am sure you will find other uses for the rest of the tube and wonder how you did without it. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, will give it try
Old 02-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Repair job didn't hold. Called Winnebago and order new shower pan have none in stock has to be made will take four to five weeks to get it.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Had that happen to our 2010 Suncruiser a couple weeks ago. We're in a park in Florida and had a local repair guy do a temp repair with epoxy. It's holding so far. He put it underneath and some on the top. He also put blocks of wood under the drain. We also picked up a teak shower mat that keeps us from stepping on the drain and flexing it. So far, so good. We'll look into a perm repair when we get home.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier, 2014 CRV toad
Old 02-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hope it work for you. Mind lasted about week. Have been making repairs until pan arrives
Old 02-19-2016, 11:56 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Had the exact problem on my shower. Winnebago said our shower pan was ABS plastic, not fiberglass. So I drilled some small holes at each end of the 3" crack that curved around the drain. That took the stress away.

Then I used a dremel grinder to widen the top edges of the crack just a bit making room for the repair. Reached in through the access panel and sanded the underside of the pan a bit. Then mixed up some JB Weld Plastic Epoxy putty 250psi designed to work with ABS plastic, and put about a 1/2" ribbon on the underside of the crack for support.

Used fine sandpaper to dull the plastic on either side of the topside of the crack about 1/4" out from each side. Then used JB Weld Plastic Epoxy PlasticWeld 4000psi, again designed to work with ABS plastic, worked into the crack and holes at each end of the crack, creating about a 1/8" thick cover over the crack out about 1/4" on each side.

I know, a bit overkill, but I'm an old engineer. After one year of fulltime living with two over 200 pounders using the shower several times each week, the repair is still looking great, and holding strong!