Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Corner Shower - Door vs Curtain

Hi - We love our 2003 Journey (new to us 2 years ago) but I've never like the corner shower and the swing open door. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken the door off and just used a nice fabric curtain. It just always seems like a challenge to either adjust the water temp or get in and out without getting a lot of water on the floor.

Is it Spring yet? Looking forward to Camp Freightliner March 13 & 14!

Thanks
Ben
Old 02-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We changed ours out and are well pleased with the results. The amount of water was less that when the door opened
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

That's funny. We were just at the Salem (OR) RV show and I was thinking I'd rather have a door. Guess I'll have to actually try out the shower and see how it does before I start thinking about adding a door.
sinnettc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am a fairly big guy (6'1 1/2" shower dressed by 300 pounds) so the door makes that telephone booth a tad small.. A curtain would make it easier to turn around.. But.. I think I like the door better.. I did add an aux latch which I can operate from INSIDE to keep it closed (It is at the top of the door) when I'm showering, A plastic disc screwed (Near the edge of the disc) turned one way the door operates normally, turned the other it blocks the door, Heaven forbid something bad happens, the plastic will either bend or break allowing the door to open with moderate force. (IE If I pass out or otherwise fall down).
Old 02-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I agree I like the look of the door but having it swing out into our pass-thru bath is another issue I don't like. I just had another thought to used a curved shower curtain bar to give you just a little more room inside. The main downside to all this is if we don't watch the bottom of the curtain the floor would get soaked.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We just picked up ours and the shower has a curtain but the bar is three bars (short on each end and longer one in the middle) attached together with joints that allow it to stick in the shower when not used and add an extra 8" to the depth when pulled out. Actually looks like a pretty good idea.

Link: RV Extend-a-Shower
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #7

I like the door because when using ANY curtain your are never able to capture ALL of the water and trust me, it WILL go places you do NOT want it to.

I really don't see any advantage of removing the door and replacing it with a curtain.

We place a towel on the floor adjacent to the Bath Rug that sits under the main vanity to capture the water drips from the shower door when opened.

WRT adjusting water temperature, we step into the shower and close the door. Remove the Handheld and turn on the water to adjust the temp. Replace the Handheld and take your shower. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0962.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	56296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0963.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	56297  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

DR4Film - That's pretty much what we do now. I noticed on your door you have 2 towel bars. Did it come that way or did you add them?

Thanks
Ben
Old 02-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #9

Ben,

I am positive the original owners ordered it that way from the Monaco factory.

The door to the toilet room and second vanity had only one towel holder so I added a second one up higher.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Trashed the old door and panels a few weeks ago. Now has a Recmar ceiling track, rollers, and a fabric shower curtain that complements the pattern in the wall paneling. Best thing I've done in awhile. We love it !! ... I'm 6'3" - ish and slammed my head into the crossbar for the last time !! We do have tile floors ...

and that was the last remaining item in "gold trim"....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1193783small.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	56298  
Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

bruceisla - That's awesome looking! I know what you mean about the gold trim. I just spend 2 hours replacing gold cabinet handles with nice brushed nickle ones in 21 degree temps this weekend. I had to cut every bolt since they were too long. I was that bored and disliked the gold that much Then I looked up and saw I hadn't thought about the hinges arrgh! One good upgrades always seems to lead to another. I'm thinking the gold hinges aren't soo bad but the gold shower stall ...now that would be something to see gone.

I now have a couple of good ideas, the folding bar and the track method.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
bruceisla - That's awesome looking! I know what you mean about the gold trim. I just spend 2 hours replacing gold cabinet handles with nice brushed nickle ones in 21 degree temps this weekend. I had to cut every bolt since they were too long. I was that bored and disliked the gold that much Then I looked up and saw I hadn't thought about the hinges arrgh! One good upgrades always seems to lead to another. I'm thinking the gold hinges aren't soo bad but the gold shower stall ...now that would be something to see gone.

I now have a couple of good ideas, the folding bar and the track method.

Thanks everyone!
Thanks! Flexible track kit is available from Sailrite ... nice folks, reasonable prices, fast shipment. The track is little more expensive to ship because it comes in an 8 ft. tube. I used the spare tire on my Geo Tracker to form the bend in the track ... it's easy to bend ... just pick an appropriate radius ... a 5 gal. paint bucket is also close.

RECMAR 4372 Deluxe Shower Curtain Kit 72" Long

I replaced all the trim (lighting fixtures, drawer pulls, faucets, drains) with Oiled Bronze finish. The shower was the last ... yay !!

If the hinges are annoying you can paint them (and screws) with Krylon ... works pretty good and saves a bunch of money. Walmart/HomeDepot etc.

Krylon Brushed Metallic Paint - Walmart.com
Old 02-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thats funny - We just got back from our walk around the neighborhood and I thought about painting them also since not much of the hinges shows. But I hadn't thought about spray paint and I forget now there are so many options in the spray can these days. Back when I would paint my motorcycle tank every few months all there was available was the basic colors.

Thanks again for the rail info and the paint link! Be gone all ye gold! although there 2 on the pull out pantry that I'm not sure how they are mounted, the backs of them are covered up. May be a candidate for paint in place.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thats funny - We just got back from our walk around the neighborhood and I thought about painting them also since not much of the hinges shows. But I hadn't thought about spray paint and I forget now there are so many options in the spray can these days. Back when I would paint my motorcycle tank every few months all there was available was the basic colors.

Thanks again for the rail info and the paint link! Be gone all ye gold! although there 2 on the pull out pantry that I'm not sure how they are mounted, the backs of them are covered up. May be a candidate for paint in place.
Gotta' be better than gold ... Uh Oh ... the gold people are gonna' be all over me
Old 02-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post

Gotta' be better than gold ... Uh Oh ... the gold people are gonna' be all over me
I wouldn't be painting that "Gold" stuff as the price keeps going up and up. With paint all over it, you have just devalued all of that RICH looking Gold.

I think the correct term is Polished Brass which is worth only pennies on the dollar if that!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I wouldn't be painting that "Gold" stuff as the price keeps going up and up. With paint all over it, you have just devalued all of that RICH looking Gold.

I think the correct term is Polished Brass which is worth only pennies on the dollar if that!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Too funny !!! ... reminds me of other polished "stuff" ...

BTW, my stuff was "Antiqued" ... probably REALLY valuable
Old 02-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I on the other hand prefer the shower doors and to date had very little problems if any with water escaping. I place a bathmat outside the door when we use the shower of which traps any excess water. We typically dry ourselves off while still in the stall and then squeegee the inside prior to exiting.

The other reason we like the doors is that I use the shower stall as a dog pen for our small dog when we go out for extended periods of time. I have a mat that covers the entire stall to avoid her scratching the floor. We used to carry a crate but forgot it one time and found the shower to be a much better solution. More room to roam, ample light during the day and a night light does the job at night. She is now a happy camper...
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm - hadn't thought about the pet angle. We will be traveling with a cat whose never traveled (should be interesting) but he is family well thinks he is and I couldn't leave him behind. Having a place to leave him, food, his kitty condo and a litter box while away from the RV during the day for the first few weeks may come in handy. I can see some pros and cons for each option now. We'll be full timing workampers soon so maybe the best option will present itself then. I'll be the first to admit I've had a few ideas go astray after being put into practical use.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hmmm - hadn't thought about the pet angle. We will be traveling with a cat whose never traveled (should be interesting) but he is family well thinks he is and I couldn't leave him behind. Having a place to leave him, food, his kitty condo and a litter box while away from the RV during the day for the first few weeks may come in handy. I can see some pros and cons for each option now. We'll be full timing workampers soon so maybe the best option will present itself then. I'll be the first to admit I've had a few ideas go astray after being put into practical use.
I have a cat (actually the cat owns us). Charlotte (the kitty) has no issues with roaming the RV. They make there own decisions, you know. People are the one's with weird issues ... kitties adapt. However, I can guarantee you that your kitty will not like being confined in a shower stall. Don't believe me? Try it at home !!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Yeah I agree about cats. I'm sure he will adapt. He was a fierce outdoor cat before we downsized to our condo. Now he is the biggest lap cat and is happy to stare out the window. Maybe just the litter box in the shower when not in use will be a better solution.

Tags
door, shower