Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cleaning faded exterior

What is the best way and what liquids to use on old, faded exterior? Not expecting it to look new, but just better than it is.
booyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Do a search on redmax pro on this site
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Cleaning Faded exterior

I had the same problem when we bought our latest coach. Tried everything that was out there. What worked best and looked the best after, was the use of 2000 grit wet/dry aluminum oxide paper. Wet sand it with the paper until the material stops coming off. You will know when it does as the surface becomes very slippery. Then after that step go over the surface with a polish. I used Nu Finish. It will look like a new coach when you're done. Much easier than using the chemical route. If you can find 2500 grit paper you could use it also. Probably the only place will be is a commercial body shop. I found the 2000 grit to be just fine and is easily available at auto stores.
Ret Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You didn't mention what kind of finish you have. If it's a full body paint I wouldn't be using the RMP stuff. If it is full body paint a good rub out or wet sanding with a follow up of a good polish/wax is the way to go.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

The method outlined by RET SMOKY will work on a fiberglass body. But, to me, there's an even easier way to make fiberglass look like new.........go to a boat yard and buy some Aqua Buff 2000 buffing compound. Mix some Star Brite Teflon Polish in with it so that the buffing pad doesn't "grab". Spread a little on and use a med to high speed buffer and it will look like new. It's not easy but the results are well worth the effort.
If you have trouble finding Aqua Buff PM me for a seller.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Kix,

Thanks for the tip!!!!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the information. It is a fiberglass exterior and it is very faded. Also the widows and windshield have white streaks from the roof coating running down that was applied. I tried cleaning them but have not found anything yet that removes it.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah View Post
Thanks for the information. It is a fiberglass exterior and it is very faded. Also the widows and windshield have white streaks from the roof coating running down that was applied. I tried cleaning them but have not found anything yet that removes it.

Booyah, If you really want a great job that will last for years without doing over and over you need to look at Poliglo. http://www.myboatstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=10%2DPGK One $ 65.00 kit will do your motorhome and it will come out like brand new. Three years ago I did our 1996 Bounder and it still looks great today. We purchased a 2003 Phaeton and I did it. It looks like a new coach. Once you poliglo, No waxing ever. A simple wash and the finish looks new. I listen to a lot of others and tried a lot of products before I found Poliglo I will NEVER use anything else again.
With your glass problem. I put a cut piece of cloth in my vibrating sander, apply tooth paste (not gel, paste) and sand the glass. The tooth paste will not harm the glass. It will cut off any impurities embeded in the glass and polish it to a super smooth surface.
Ron
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I always used the line of 3M products that are found at Auto stores and RV dealers. Always shined my 90 Bounder real nice. Took a lot of work though but it always looked good for its age!

Regards,
RovinOn
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #10

You may want to look into Collinite's #920Fiberglass Boat Cleaner followed up with Collinite #885 Heavy Duty Fleetwax. It has worked well for us. Those boat people have seemed to figure it out.
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Has anyone tried the product called "Shine On" if so please tell me how it works.
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah View Post
To clean the white residue from your windows use 0000 (4 ought) steel wool. Wipe as hard as you like. After going over the entire glass area then use a product like Windex but one without ammonia. No need to wash the windows before using the steel wool
Old 01-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I tried the steel wool on the windshield. Some of the streaks did come off but it was a lot of work. I am going to try the sander and toothpaste next.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Booyah, If you really want a great job that will last for years without doing over and over you need to look at Poliglo. http://www.myboatstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=10%2DPGK One $ 65.00 kit will do your motorhome and it will come out like brand new. Three years ago I did our 1996 Bounder and it still looks great today. We purchased a 2003 Phaeton and I did it. It looks like a new coach. Once you poliglo, No waxing ever. A simple wash and the finish looks new. I listen to a lot of others and tried a lot of products before I found Poliglo I will NEVER use anything else again.
With your glass problem. I put a cut piece of cloth in my vibrating sander, apply tooth paste (not gel, paste) and sand the glass. The tooth paste will not harm the glass. It will cut off any impurities embeded in the glass and polish it to a super smooth surface.
Ron
2X that. Made my 5th wheel look new! Got it on Ebay for $59 for the whole kit.
MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote