Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2009, 02:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

China toilets anyone?

I have a problem that I'm curious if anyone else has had the same problem. We have the china toilet in our Journey. I noticed that the ball seal looked out of position. It worked okay, and it wasn't leaking, I thought.
My wife says, "hey, why is this carpet wet?" Upon inspection I found that water was trickling down the front side of the bowl pedestal. On further inspection, I found that the bowl moves, and when it moves, the seal position changes around the ball flush valve. The water trickle then stops. The bowl actually twists on the pedestal. This is the second toilet of this type we have had. The first one was in a Cedar Creek 5'er. It was always something with that one. Are all of these things junk or am I just lucky?
Dave
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
I helped | retired moderator

You are just unlucky.

Mine is quite securely mounted and does not move.

The Sea Land toilet is a good one except I seem to need a new seal about once a year.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If your toilet is like mine this can be adjusted & fixed. First make sure the water is completely drained out of the bowl. Any water in it will end up on the floor! There should be screw holding the outer casing together. I believe you will find it towards the back. There maybe 2 screws? After you have the casing or outer shell off, you will see a scrap . Loosen this scrap & adjust bowl on seal so that it is equal on all sides. . Re-tighten scrap really good . Test by adding water to bowl. Put on outer casing.
I've been down this road a few times myself!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Had two toilets do same thing when coach was new. As Dave said adjust the bowl to bottom of toilet mounting and tighten the stainless steel strap.
While you have base cover off check the floor mounting bolts on flange and make sure they are tight.
Had one of the sewer pipes fall out of floor flange on a trip also, pipe wasn't glued in floor flange, was a mess until discovered!!!
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from MN View Post
If your toilet is like mine this can be adjusted & fixed. First make sure the water is completely drained out of the bowl. Any water in it will end up on the floor! There should be screw holding the outer casing together. I believe you will find it towards the back. There maybe 2 screws? After you have the casing or outer shell off, you will see a scrap . Loosen this scrap & adjust bowl on seal so that it is equal on all sides. . Re-tighten scrap really good . Test by adding water to bowl. Put on outer casing.
I've been down this road a few times myself!
Thanks for the suggestion, but this is a Thetford aqua magic 2. It is a horse of a different color. It's not like the Sealand Traveler. The base pedestal doesnt come away like on the Traveler. There is an awkward opening at the back of the china bowl. Practically useless. I looked with a mirror and the bowl seems to be bolted to the pedestal. I don't see a band for tightening. Looks like this one has to come out to work on it. I think I give up. It's still under waranty so I guess I'll let the dealer worry about it. Have a good day.

Dave
Old 09-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would take back to the dealer also. But I was curious about that toilet. It looks like it is bolted to the floor like a toilet in a house. The bowl is separate from the pedestal with a gasket in between. Looking at the parts diagram: too tighten the bowl down would have to be done from below with the toilet removed from the the floor? If so, it is better to let the dealer do it!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from MN View Post
I would take back to the dealer also. But I was curious about that toilet. It looks like it is bolted to the floor like a toilet in a house. The bowl is separate from the pedestal with a gasket in between. Looking at the parts diagram: too tighten the bowl down would have to be done from below with the toilet removed from the the floor? If so, it is better to let the dealer do it!
Yep, just like in a house. I think it has to come out too, Dave. I had a heck of a time with the Sealand Traveler in my Cedar Creek, finally gave up and put in an Aqua Magic with the floor pedal. Totally trouble free.
We'll give the dealer a chance to fix it, but if it turns out to be a constant headache, like the Sealand, it's gone. China looks nice, but.......being full timers, using it every day, we don't need the aggravation. Have a nice day.
Dave