Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have a Meridian 36G but don't know other floor plans for Journey/Meridians. If the humidity is a little high in the coach and after both of us have taken a shower, I notice moisture on the narrow strip of wall covering and the ceiling material just between the shower wall and the ceiling sun dome (or whatever that sunlight covering is called). I always try to blot this off after the last shower but eventually it begins to show some stain on the ceiling cloth or fabric. About once every year or so I use an oxyclean spray on it and blot off most of the stain pretty well.
Is this a common problem or am I just not controlling the moisture in the coach well enough?
I keep a moisture gauge in the coach and it gets up around 70-80% lots of times, but even in Colorado where the outside humidity may only be 15-20% and we can get the inside down to 50-60%, this condensation after a shower still happens to a lesser degree. Another Winnebago goof by not having a power vent in the bath. The kitchen vent is close but still doesn't get rid of the humidity.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have a Meridian 36G but don't know other floor plans for Journey/Meridians. If the humidity is a little high in the coach and after both of us have taken a shower, I notice moisture on the narrow strip of wall covering and the ceiling material just between the shower wall and the ceiling sun dome (or whatever that sunlight covering is called). I always try to blot this off after the last shower but eventually it begins to show some stain on the ceiling cloth or fabric. About once every year or so I use an oxyclean spray on it and blot off most of the stain pretty well.
Is this a common problem or am I just not controlling the moisture in the coach well enough?
I keep a moisture gauge in the coach and it gets up around 70-80% lots of times, but even in Colorado where the outside humidity may only be 15-20% and we can get the inside down to 50-60%, this condensation after a shower still happens to a lesser degree. Another Winnebago goof by not having a power vent in the bath. The kitchen vent is close but still doesn't get rid of the humidity.
Wagonmaster2
Old 01-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Forgot to include, this only happens on the outside (curbside ) section of the wall.
Wagonmaster2
Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have you checked to make sure the skylight is not leaking. Just had to reseal mine. Had a small crack.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Yes, I completely resealed the skylight the first time I noticed the moisture, which happened to be right after a rain storm. But that was 1 1/2 years ago and the moisture is still there whenever we use the shower. I can usually see moisture on the vertical section of wall between the shower stall and the ceiling right after our showers. We usually vacation during the cooler temperature of the year, which may contribute to condensation between the colder outside wall and the warmer inside warmed by the hot shower water. Which probably means Winnebago either left out the insulation along the shoulder of the roof, or cheapened it by using very little, same as they did with the clear coat paint along the shoulders which is why it is pealing now. The longer I own this coach the more I can understand their reason for only a 1 year warranty, nothing they use will hold together any longer.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 01-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
Wagonmaster2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The parts manual says you have the following vent in the toilet room:

14* 123780-10-01A EA FANTASTIC VENT-4"ROOF-W/FAN/PWR LIFT/DBL DOME-W/O THERM
009440-01-000 EA GEAR/ARM - LIFT - ROOF VENT COVER

If I am reading the floorplan correctly you are supposed to open the toilet room door to section off the shower area from the rest of the coach. The Fantastic Fan in the toilet area should have plenty of oomph to take care of the shower.

You mention the Kitchen vent however the one in the toilet area seems more appropriate.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We have same floorplan and have used the coach in some cold weather. We've not had a problem with condensation (except on inside of the windshield) but we do have a powered vent in bathroom ceiling near the shower (between the shower and door to toilet room). Also, whenever we are using the rig in colder weather, we always keep one of the roof vents barely open which seems to help control moisture.

As far as Winnebago having only a one year warranty, that seems to be the case with all the major coach manufacturers. Even the famous Newmar 3 yr. warranty is a thing of the past on most of their rigs.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My floor plan has the powered vent in the kitchen area and in the toilet room right over the stool, which has door seperating it from the shower room. There is no vent in the area of the shower. To use a power vent while showering, either the pocket door between the shower room and kitchen would need to be left open and/or the door between the stool room and the shower room would need to be left open. I have run either or both of these after showering but since I'm usually ready for bed by then, this doesn't last very long. Especially in cool/cold weather this can make a very drafty shower and normally a window should be open slightly, air out must have an air in to exit the moist air.
Wagonmaster2