Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

We occasionally get a black residue coming from the kitchen sink faucet or the shower. It looks like the carbon particles that come out of the Kitchen sink water filter after a new filter is installed. After running the faucet for a short time the water is clear.

I do not think it is coming from the shore line water. I have a sediment filter on that water line prior to entering the coach and the filter is still white and clean.

This is our first trip using the kitchen water filter. Could it be leaking carbon into the water lines?

What else could cause this?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We occasionally get a black residue coming from the kitchen sink faucet or the shower. It looks like the carbon particles that come out of the Kitchen sink water filter after a new filter is installed. After running the faucet for a short time the water is clear.

I do not think it is coming from the shore line water. I have a sediment filter on that water line prior to entering the coach and the filter is still white and clean.

This is our first trip using the kitchen water filter. Could it be leaking carbon into the water lines?

What else could cause this?
Old 03-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

LK23,

When is the last time you completely drained and sanitized your fresh water tank? It could be residue from the tank walls, or, dare I say it, mold.. Drain your water tank completely, refill with a bleach mixture, add a bunch of "Ice Cubes" (I know it's strange), then go drive around making some lefts and rights (or even a good mountain road would do). Drain it by running it through your faucets to your grey tank, fill your grey tank (and if you want, your black tank too by running your toilet valve open for awhile. The Bleach will run through your system, into your tanks and clean it out too. Drain the tanks, what's left of the water tank and refill. Run water through your faucets again getting rid of any bleach in the lines and drain. I usually do this twice. Everything after that is nice and clean. Then see where it goes from there.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:

This is our first trip using the kitchen water filter. Could it be leaking carbon into the water lines? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgot to mention that the water filter (at least the built in unit) only goes to the water spigot next to the main faucet in the kitchen. It is not a "Whole House" filter, so this would be an impossibility.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

LK23

We had the same problem once. Had black colored water coming from the kitchen faucet and toilet. After some consternation about this I changed the under-sink water filter and had no more black-colored water. The filter media separated and somehow back fed into the other water piping. Our piping was translucent and I could see the darkness in the lines from the filter.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm also getting the black carbon-like specks but they show up when I flush the toilet. I'll check my ADC undersink filter but I can't understand how they would end up in the toilet cold water line. The line after the filter goes to my ice maker and the ice has been fine.

Tom
currently in Crystal River, FL
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had exactly the same problem in my former Suncruiser. All I can tell you is that it clears up after a while and never returns.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

LK23,
I would suspect mold in your water lines. As we know, the plastic lines are not run true level and will tend to hold a small amount of water when drained.
I agree with BigTrace, you need to sanitize your fresh water system. But do not let the bleach mixture go through your carbon filter at your kitchen sink as the bleach will destroy the carbon cartridge. Actually all filter cartridges should be changed annually.

You should probably do a search on the proper mixture of bleach to water to santize your system. It doesn't take much bleach to do the job.
Good luck and I'm sure the black residue will be a thing of the past after a proper sanitization.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I know I do not have mold. Our coach has been in almost constant use since new connected to a city clorinated water supply.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I do not think it is mold. If it was it would come out of the bath sink and commode. And why is it intermittent. It seems to happen after disconnecting and reconnecting water pressure.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I used a carbon water filter in my Whole House Filter never again some how carbon particals every where toilets, sinks and glass of water now use fiber or paper. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I would have to agree that it is probably your exterior filter. If you disconnect it and hook a hose to it and run it, I bet you will see the black carbon coming out of it. i have seen that problem with new ones if you dont run it for a few minutes without it being installed in the line.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I had the black flakes showing up in my toilet when flushing. I did not have a filter on the water supply. I then installed a taste and odor fitler on the water supply and the black flakes are still showing up when flushing the toilet.

I did have to winterize for the month of Dec. in Myrtle Beach. I removed my ADC undersink filter before winterizing and place the filter up side down in the kitchen sink. I then de-winterized the day after Christmas and re-installed the ADC under sink filter. Possibly the filter media moved when I had the wet used filter inverted in the sink for a month.

I have no idea how carbon from the undersink filter could show up when flusing the toilet but I'll replace the ADC filter when I return home in a couple weeks. I see no black flakes in the ice maker or the sink drinking water tap.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Tom N,

You described pretty much the same scenario I had with my 2001 Adventurer. I had no discolored water until I removed the ADC filter and re-installed it later. Beats me how the discoloration went to some outlets but not others, but installing a new filter cured the problem right away.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:45 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Am I dreaming or did I read somewhere that the filter should be put in a baggie and kept in the refrigerator over the winter? This is susposed to make it last longer? Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:49 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a good idea. Even better would be not to reuse it.

I only winterized for 3 weeks and I turned the frige off since I was in a storage area in Myrtle Beach with no power.

I think the filter does not like to be inverted. I have a new filter at home and I'll replace mine in April when we get home. I'll cut the old filter apart and take a look at it.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I know this is an old thread - but if you are on city water and the utility uses monochloramines to disinfect your city water - then there is apt to be a discoloration (yellow or commonly black) in the water that has been sitting a while and exposed to heat and/or light.

Monochloramines is the introduction of ammonia mixed with chlorine as a disinfection process.

It is common here in FL and around the U.S.

Flushing your system will remove the discoloration,

Just my 2 cents.

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Thinking about this 'problem' and just possibly the black thingies are coming from the carbon in the undersink filter. The sink faucet, when opened, may create a slight back pressure on the filter and suck some of the black carbon dust out of the filter.
Same when you step on the toilet valve. It is a full open and full closed valve so the quick opening may create a vacuum on the filter line and back feed carbon dust into the line.
I have no direct knowledge that this is the answer to your problem but it could be!

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote