Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can't access a leak

I have a ’97 30’ Winnie Adventurer. It's new to me and I'm not sure the previous owner winterized it. I filled the water tank, turned on the water pump, left the motorhome for a few minutes and when I returned the carpet in the closet and in front of the bed we're soaking wet. It appears that the leak may be coming from the shower but I don't see an access panel. Any suggestions on how to get to the plumbing under the shower?
Vwbjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Inside the shower, looking below the faucets, are there white "bumps" covering fasteners?
I just checked mine and it appears these may hold the faucet and give some access to pull tubing up, but I also think it may require removing some paneling in my bedroom. Perhaps some help even though my unit is different?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I saw those (4 of them) and thought I might start there. What about accessing hoses through the pssthrough compartment, the second one from the rear? I was looking and there is a 2” thick what panel I'm just wondering if it is structual? I don't want to mess with it if it is. It's just I don't see any other way to look at the hoses since the rear wheels are in front of the compartments. Any thoughts?
Old 07-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Assume you meant "white" panel? Darn those auto correct!
Sounds like a form of white insulation. Look like it is made of small beads of foam?
On mine, there is a n obvious bulge about six inches across which is directly behind the shower plumbing so that it sticks our in the bedroom. IF I ever need to plumbing, I plan to pull that small section of paneling to see what's there.
Give me a bit to look for drawing to show how/where the tubing is run.

Back in a bit?
Old 07-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Checking drawings, I find less than I hoped for. The drawing is here:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...30wq_plumb.pdf
First page seems to be drains and second the supply but it doesn't show WHERE the tubing is routed. My drawing gives more info so I can trace it better, so we may have to fall back on guessing!
My theory is that the tubing itself is pretty flexible and more likely to simply expand when frozen, while the fittings like elbows, etc. are a hard plast and prone to breaking. So I look first at those fitting/connections as being easier to find and also more prone to break?
Since water comes out in the floor, I'm guessing it may be the fitting on the back of the faucet, right in the shower or some part of the faucet itself.
Perhaps the easy out is to pull the faucet, hope there is enough slack to get it out far enough to spot any problem there?
Familiar with this site for lots of good info when we need to dig deep:
https://winnebagoind.com/product-res...ct-information
Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Checking drawings, I find less than I hoped for. The drawing is here:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...30wq_plumb.pdf
First page seems to be drains and second the supply but it doesn't show WHERE the tubing is routed. My drawing gives more info so I can trace it better, so we may have to fall back on guessing!
My theory is that the tubing itself is pretty flexible and more likely to simply expand when frozen, while the fittings like elbows, etc. are a hard plast and prone to breaking. So I look first at those fitting/connections as being easier to find and also more prone to break?
Since water comes out in the floor, I'm guessing it may be the fitting on the back of the faucet, right in the shower or some part of the faucet itself.
Perhaps the easy out is to pull the faucet, hope there is enough slack to get it out far enough to spot any problem there?
Familiar with this site for lots of good info when we need to dig deep:
https://winnebagoind.com/product-res...ct-information
Thanks so much for digging in so deep. I see what your saying about the hose and fittings, and agree with you. I’ll pull the faucet to see if I can find the problem. The white panel is made of something solid and about 2” thick. Looking at it, it appears to be sealed in place. It would be a major undertaking to remove it. To the rear of the shower stall, there is a closet, it does have some paneling that I may need to cut out in order to get to the plumbing under the shower. Another option would be to access the plumbing via carpeted paneling/plywood that is just below the shower pan and shower door. I’m going to look and see if there is a way to remove the carpeted panel versus cutting it. Sure is frustrating, guess I’m finding out why I got it for free. Thanks again for all your advice.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Before cutting which is pretty hard to redo, I look really carefully at what it takes to pull an entire panel as many of them are on with small staples which pull real easy, once we get any trim out of the way. But it is a trek every time to figure which is more fun.
But after having some "pros" do some work, I decided I'm better!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I agree. There is some plastic molding (maybe 2.5” wide) that runs beneath the metal shower door frame and covers the top edge of the carpeted panel that I’d like to remove. I think it will give me access to the shower faucet plumbing. But my luck that won’t be my problem. Or maybe I should just cut a hole in the skylight, run a hose through the hole, put a spray nozzle on the end and call the shower good ��. Oh wait, my wife said no! Thanks again for the help.

Tags
leak