Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Brave SE water tank drain

I have a 1999 winnibago brave se 29a. I recently purchased it from the 2nd owner. I thought I would sanitize the fresh water system. The manual states to drain the tank first. I have opened the two drain valves under the bottom drawer in the galley and the two waterline valves under the lavatory plus the tank valve under the lavatory. But the manual doesn't say how to get any water to drain. I've searched for a low-point drain on the outside of the mh to no avail. Is there anyone with this mh or similar that could be of help? BTW the previous owner said that he pumped the tank dry into the grey tank to empty it. Must be a better way.
dennwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Chapter 7 in the 1999 Brave Operator Manual describes the plumbing system, including the location of drain valves, etc. You can also take a look at the Plumbing Diagram for your coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

cbeierl, thanks for your reply. I have read the operators manual several times, I have located the two waterline valves under the bottom drawer of the galley, the two waterline valves under the bottom of the lavatory and the tank valve under the lavatory and the water heater bypass valve. But nowhere in that manual does it tell you how to actually drain the freshwater holding tank. I have watched several videos on youtube of other makes and they usually show some sort of low-point drain valve on the outside of the coach. The previous owner said that he used the pump to run the water down the drain into the grey tank. That doesn't seem like the proper way. I was hoping someone on this forum could tell me how to drain the freshwater tank. I have opened all of the drain valves on the inside of the coach. I have not drained the water heater yet. I'm trying to sanitize the system since I just purchased this motor home.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I went ahead and added the bleach and water mixture and filled the water tank. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow. I'm going to try and lay the outside shower hose on the ground and see if that acts as a low-point drain. If not then I guess I'll just pump it into the grey tank.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have a '99 Brave SE 26 foot and it has a valve in the compartment where the water pump is located ... all under the bed. The valve controls the water coming out of the tank to either the rest of the system or to drain out the bottom of the RV. Our RV also has two valves roughly in the centre of the RV that can drain the lines to the galley sink, the bathroom sink, toilet and shower.

The documentation is pretty sketchy and really doesn't provide enough detail to manage the system.

Our old girl was not abused but was neglected. We added a bleach solution to the fresh water tank twice. We decided not to use the water for drinking or cooking. Even after filling the tank with fresh water and draining it twice there is still an odour of bleach especially from the hot water tap.
Radioflyer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply Rod. I really appreciate it. I think that I've found all of the valves inside the coach. I need to remove a cap or turn a valve on the outside to allow the water to drain (can't find one) After adding the bleach solution and filling the water tank I was watching for the overflow under the coach but it never happened. The water eventually just started running back out of the gravity fill where the hose was. Anyway, I'm about to take it for a drive and slosh the solution around for a bit. Then I'll try and figure a way to drain it. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Finally found the drains on the underside of my coach There weren't any caps or valves so I knew that I only had to work inside. The manual pic indicated that when the valve knob was inline with the waterline it was closed and to drain it you turned away from inline. So I turned it 90 degrees. My mistake, it needs to go 180 and still be inline with the waterline. Thanks to the ones who tried to help me and I hope someone else may see this and it will help them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_113 Jun. 23 18.04.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	131002  
Old 06-23-2016, 11:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Good for you
Radioflyer3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags