Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Blue Streak System for Toilet

I recently purchased a Minnie Winnie 31K it had some upgrades one of which was a system called "Blue Streak". The Blue Streak is a system that a measured amount of "disinfectant with each flush. in my previous TT I used the Thetford tablets. Each tim I flushed the black tank I would add a couple of gallons of water and a Thetford tablet. The folks where I bought the MH said that this blue streak system adds the disinfectant each time you flush.

Does anyone have experience with this system and advice. I am currently in the 3rd day of a 5 day shakedown to get familiar with the MH and its functions. The Blue Streak is functioning, but I wonder about the effectiveness of it.
legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't see the need for a system to "disinfect" the black tank. There are enough toilet chemicals on the market to control odor in the black tank and they are pretty cheap to use. The Blue Streak just seems like something else to break.

Like your avatar. I spent one summer installing C-130 outboard wing section anti-fuel slosh bulkheads for Lockeed. I know all the Huckbolts in that wing section quite well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:28 AM   #3

Unnecessary to "disinfect" the black tank. Answer looking for a problem to solve.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Agree. Believe disinfecting waste tanks is counterproductive. Had a long career dealing with Trinity, Jetx, and CHT waste systems. Big believer in the power and efficacy of enzymes and bio treatments.

On the road, we use surficants like Thetford, Camco, whatever, no preference, since we are dumping every few days anyway. And they are usually less expensive than bios.

Moored alongside our home, we always flush both tanks thoroughly, to get rid of the chemicals, then fill with and dose with bios every several days for a couple of weeks. Let those little bugs eat their fill so our level sensors, tank rinser heads, et al, are spotless before the next trip. We use the same bios we dose our home septic system with. No, we have not had odor problems.

Then again, it depends on how you use your rig.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I never heard of a blue streak system, but since you have it you might as well give it a try.

Hope it works for you... if it fails you can always go to adding your favorite tank chemical when dumping.

I've used "Happy Camper", one jar has lasted me for two years since I use only one scoop (probably around 2tbs) after each dump. Whatever bio bugs are in there work great and help break everything including TP, as long as it is "Septic safe" and no chemical smell.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

NyBobbo,

thats my plan, where do you get the "Happy Camper"
Old 06-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Site Team

It was installed when we bought our RV as well. I've continued to use it and am happy with it. We don't add any additional chemicals and don't have any issues.

Could we do without it? I'm sure we could. I think a bottle lasts us about 1.5-2 months and I order through the manufacturer in either packs of 3 or packs of 6. My last supply was a pack of 6.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:23 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas View Post
NyBobbo,

thats my plan, where do you get the "Happy Camper"

You can get "Happy Camper" from Amazon or Camping world, I'm sure some RV dealers also carry it.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
It was installed when we bought our RV as well. I've continued to use it and am happy with it. We don't add any additional chemicals and don't have any issues.

Could we do without it? I'm sure we could. I think a bottle lasts us about 1.5-2 months and I order through the manufacturer in either packs of 3 or packs of 6. My last supply was a pack of 6.
ThomB,

Mine was already installed as well. You say packs. My Blue Streak is a liquid and we bought an extra bottle from the rv dealer when we picked up the motor home.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas View Post
ThomB,

Mine was already installed as well. You say packs. My Blue Streak is a liquid and we bought an extra bottle from the rv dealer when we picked up the motor home.

Right, we buy replacement bottles from the distributor/manufacturer in either a 3 or 6 pack of bottles (last purchase was 6). They are cheaper than Amazon as they include shipping when ordering from their website.

https://www.bluestreakchem.net/

Since we showed ordering from them when I called for support --we were getting air leaks into the line -- they ended up sending me (free) a new t-adapter for getting the chemicals into the supply line. I thought that was pretty awesome considering that I didn't buy the system itself. In the one year we have been full-timing I think we've used about 6 bottles (and I have 3 in storage).
Old 06-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Blue Streak

I had one installed on my previous coach and really liked it. It does not disinfect. it simply is an automatic way to add your holding tank chemical. Personally I did not like the chemical that was supplied by the manufacturer. I used the RV Trine Green. You can use any liquid holding tank chemical. It works very well. Once you use it and understand how it works, you will like it as well. Another benefit is that it adds the chemical proportionately to how you use it. Over time you will use less chemical.

I hope that this helps!
Don
Old 06-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

The simplest solution is to just not add ANY chemicals to the black tank.

#1: Well over 50% of full time RV'ers don't add and chemicals

#2: The same goes for those who spend months at a time in their RV

When we started traveling in RV's which had toilets and black tanks I added chemicals for a few months. Then I realized there were times I didn't add chemicals and I couldn't detect a difference. Maybe there was a slight difference at a dump station when we dumped a mostly full tank. Once I realized the chemicals didn't help or hurt the process, I discontinued the use of chemicals. Now 14 years, and 5 RV's later I still don't use chemicals. We did fulltime for 4 1/2 years and still travel 5-10 months of the year in our RV.

Try discontinuing the use of chemical for a while and see if it works for you.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Unnecessary bells and whistles IMO. Just before hitting the road, last dump, I use a coffee mug full of cheap enzyme type power dish washer detergent dissolved in a pot of hot water and add some extra water to allow sloshing as I drive. Better for local septic systems and keeps the tank gauges working just fine.