Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Black water valve leaking

My black water valve is leaking, and I was wondering if any of the water treatments that have a lubricant would help?

If replacement is necessary how hard is it to change the valve?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not hard to change the valve. Obviously, make sure both of your tanks are empty and flushed well. Remove the slider valve/s and replace. Took me about 30 minutes to change both valves on my rig a few years back.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Easy to replace... but OMG!! I cleaned my tank first but but when I removed the valve.. a small stream of the foulest, most disgusting crap in the world drooled out!!! Be prepared with a bucket and wear rubber gloves of course. Might even want a mask and eye protection for this job... it can be nasty!!!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If the valve is accessible be sure to be sure to check the area where the slide seals against the rubber gasket. Ours was leaaking a bit only to find a piece of paper stuck between the slide and the gasket. A little scrubbing with a large diameter bottle brush cleaned the area and it now seals just fine.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Nasty, smelly, gross are all good words for the job, but it's a pretty simple fix and replacement slides are relatively cheap. Mine always had an odor about it and leaked a little. Found out during the change that the previous installer failed to make certain the rubber seals were correctly positioned before tightening the bolts. The seals I removed were kinked and were causing the problem(s). The valve itself was in good shape and is being kept as a spare. Alignment is the key to reinstallation, go slow, don't force and dont overtighten........then shower for and hour while remembering how much $$$$ you saved by doing it yourself.
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
My black water valve is leaking, and I was wondering if any of the water treatments that have a lubricant would help?

If replacement is necessary how hard is it to change the valve?

Thanks,

Ron
i carry this valve from camping world for this condition so i can deal with the leak at a more convenient time.

Valterra Products - Twist-on Valve - Sewer Fittings - Camping World
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

How hard depends on the coach ...it took me around six hours a few years ago. I replaced just the seal as it would have been a couple more hours to do the entire valve. Most of my time was figuring out how to get to it and then tearing compartments apart to get to the valves, and then putting stuff back together.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

update on black water valve leak

I tried brushing out the valve seat and so far the leak has stopped.

I'm hopping that it was nothing but debris that was preventing the valve from sealing off completely.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
I tried brushing out the valve seat and so far the leak has stopped.

I'm hopping that it was nothing but debris that was preventing the valve from sealing off completely.

Thanks,

Ron
i use one of these all the time.

RV Hydro Flush - Product - Camping World

i carry one of these buggas... just in case.

Valterra Products - Twist-on Valve - Sewer Fittings - Camping World
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote