Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Black Water Tank Valve Problem

We have a 2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage and have a real problem. We are fulltimers (15+ years) and know not to dump before we're 3/4 full, etc. One week ago when I dumped I flushed the tank, as I do monthly and by the time I was done only clear water was coming out of the black tank. On Thursday we were starting a trip and I decided to fill the tank to 2/3 and go ahead and dump again so as not to carry the extra weight. I pulled the dump valve handle and nothing, not one drop came out. This unit has the cable type release valves. We were running late so I thought I'd wait until that night and then check it out. As it turned out do to other troubles on the trip we had a 420 mile day, so I didn't try to dump again until today. Still nothing.

I'm sure it's not a block because we are always careful about being sure there is plenty of liquid in the tank. And even in a blockage, after driving that many miles I'd think something would come out, even if only a few drops of liquid. Nada. I took the wall panel off in the pass through bay and was able to get to the valve. It's in a very tight space. When I pull the dump handle the cable pulls the rod out and when I push it in the rod goes back in. But no release from the tank. Also, while there is some resistance, it doesn't feel normal.

I tried the power flush, which resulted in the tank being full to the very bottom of the drop into the tank. Any more and it will back up in the tank. Still nothing. So I’m stuck with a very, very full tank and can’t figure out what to do. If I were able to figure out how to get to it and remove the bolts and pull out the valve itself, I think I’d have a real mess on my hands. But I don’t know what else to do. Any ideas? Please post here or e-mail me at [email protected]

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Nick Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Ouch. You might try giving Winnie a call. Their tech support guys are great.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Plumbing Diagrams
I hope this helps you.If the gate is opening on the valve then you may have Ice in it.Its a simple system but messy if you have to replace the valve.
Good Luck
Old 02-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Does the blade come out with the rod? I believe the rod screws into the blade might have just unscrewed. Also you might be able to grab the back of the blade with a small pair of vice grips and pull it out. Good luck
Rbeckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckwith View Post
Does the blade come out with the rod? I believe the rod screws into the blade might have just unscrewed. Also you might be able to grab the back of the blade with a small pair of vice grips and pull it out. Good luck

Good call
There is a jam nut on them.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I do believe "Rbeckwith" is correct and the rod screws out. It may have unthreaded and would need to be somehow screwed back in. or it may have stripped the threads in the gate portion of the valve. If stripped, and if possible insert a round toothpick in the hole in the gate. Then thread the rod in. It might hold enough to at least dump, so you can disassemble the valve and replace the parts Good Luck
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

3" Slide Valve with Gate Seals - Valterra T1003 VPM - Sewer Valves - Camping World
hope this helps
Watch the video near the bottom

Tags
tank, water