Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cool Black water tank flush check valve

Hello All, would anyone know where the black water tank flush check valve is located. My flush stopped working. I've been told that there is a Vacuum breaker and check valve in the flush line that should be able to be changed. Has anyone had to repair their black tank flush ?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Typically the check valve is put inside a bathroom vanity cabinet. Ours is a clear plastic mushroom shaped thing. The other common issue with the flush systems is the holes getting clogged - that is a bit harder to fix normally.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, I've had to replace mine once when it stopped working... the check valve had died. On mine, the tank flush check valve was on the back of the water hookup for it... removed the 2 screws on the round trim ring and gently pulled it out. Was able to replace it easily. Yours may be there, 5 mins with a screwdrive will tell you.

I've heard of others having a breaker under the bath sink in the cabinet, like jzick said.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

What is a tank flush check valve? Thanks,
frazierdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Some RVs come with a black tank flush system factory installed. Those that do have some sort of check valve to prevent blowback of black tank contents into water hose.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem with my 06 Journey several years ago. The check valve was inside the wall behind the toilet and the only way to get to it was to remove the toilet and cabinets behind it. I circumvented it by cutting the pex pipe going to the factory installed check valve and return line from it. I then installed a PVC check valve between the hose connection and the spray inlet in the tank (which was visible behind the metal control panel) with flexible tubing. Took about an hour and cost only a few dollars. I did a complete write up on it and posted it, search under "Black water flush repair". It was very easy and saved a lot of work and money.
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Either a breaker or a check valve but generally not both.

The vacuum breaker will be ABOVE the tank, it may be in the bathroom or it may be below it but it will be ABOVE the tank.

A check valve may be at the tank wall or it may be in the hose connector

How to tell if you have a vacuum breaker or check valve.

Use a "Quick disconnect" type hose coupling and charge the line, Now shut off the water (I have a valve at the END of the hose) and disconnect, if water shoots out the coupling you have a vacuum breaker, if not, check valve. IF it 'Drips" out, the check valve is at the tank.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hello All, thanks for your input. The Winnebago plumbing diagram for my model shows a Vacuum Breaker and Check valve together inline with the fill and the tank. Could be one unit by the diagram but may be two pieces because both are labeled on the diagram. The diagram is on page 152 of the Winnebago plumbing diagrams for the 2000 Adventurer 37G. I can access the plumbing in the shower wall by removing the mirror in the dinette, maybe it will be hidden there. Keep your ideas coming. thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Check Valve Location

In my coach it was located in the wall of the bathroom that the door is on. About 3 feet up and just beyond the door frame (latch side).
Seems the thing was installed at the factory backwards and had never worked but had not been discovered by the previous owner. A tech at Lazydays said he had seem many cases of this since most people do not have a clear section of drain hose and so cannot tell if water is flowing.
The valve had clearly marked in and out arrows and was obviously installed backwards. The biggest problem was finding it since the diagrams are not clear as to its location.

Happy hunting,
Roy
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
I had the same problem with my 06 Journey several years ago. The check valve was inside the wall behind the toilet and the only way to get to it was to remove the toilet and cabinets behind it. I circumvented it by cutting the pex pipe going to the factory installed check valve and return line from it. I then installed a PVC check valve between the hose connection and the spray inlet in the tank (which was visible behind the metal control panel) with flexible tubing. Took about an hour and cost only a few dollars. I did a complete write up on it and posted it, search under "Black water flush repair". It was very easy and saved a lot of work and money.
After all these years, I have the same problem with my check valve. It was working a couple of months ago, now when I apply water, it runs out on the floor from behind the toilet. Now I'm struggling to find your other post describing it in detail...
mdahlco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water