Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Black water tank cleaning

how to clean blackwater tank on vista 26he
bblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblack View Post
how to clean blackwater tank on vista 26he
Why cleaning? Is it a gauge problem or more serious.

If you have access to a washing machine so that you can run a hose from the hot water faucet to the coach, this is a good start. Dump a goodly amount of cheap power dish detergent in the tank and add about 2/3 a tank of water. Guess as best as you can. This is not rocket science. Take a half hour or so ride down your city streets. This will slosh the tank. When you get back leave the coach set overnight. Dump the next day as normal and rinse the tank well. If there is still a problem repeat the above.

On a regular basis we use a large coffee cup of Walmart brand dishwasher power and baking soda, same amount, dissolved in hot water, in the tank after each dump and again at about 1/2 full. The baking soda 'sweetens' the tank (eliminates smells) and the detergent keeps the gauges working. Nothing is perfect but my method seems to be working for us for over a year now.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 10-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

hi - we do something similar to what Rick has outlined. i like to use TSP rather then soap. we do this when we are having a travel day between places.
cheers,
pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up

When I travel home to put the motor-home to bed for the winter , I always put a bag of ice into the black tanks . As you drive the ice scrubs your tanks clean and melts at the same time, works for me been doing it for years with no problems .
Old 10-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

But what about the grey tank ? I've tried cleaning it the same way by driving around with soap & water in it. Then dumping and rinsing. But some of the level indicators still don't read correctly.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

For both the black tank and the grey tank I use Happy Camper cleaner every 6 months just as described on the directions. I also use Happy Camper tank treatment after every dump. They are available from Amazon and really work.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I had problems with the gauges when I first use mine, I purchased a back wash attachment and use it every time I dump, haven't had a problem since implementing this procedure.
tvarges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

One thing to consider is that the older gauge pickups were probes on the tank. They were very prone to getting gooked up and giving false readings. Replacing them was often the only fix. Newer systems use external sensors. If the wall of the tank becomes 'dirty' in front of the sensor flushing usually works. I think the older systems can be retrofitted with newer systems for a price. If you like your rig and need better info about the tanks this might be a good option.

Rick Y
Old 11-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Without going into specifics of the GEO method, it is the one that has worked well for me. This involves adding a water softener to the tank. This helps to break down hard water deposits on the tank walls and probes. I use 20 Mule Team Borax and will add Dawn dish washing detergent.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Our black tank came with a rinse fitting, have only used it a couple times in the 12 years we've had the rig. Our tank sensors are external also so they can't get stuff wrapping them up.
I NEVER dump till the tank is at least 1/2 full even if I have to add fresh water. Been doing that since RV's started coming with holding tanks and have NEVER had a "pyramid" or plugged valve problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Over the years I've had (previously owned) four motor homes, one 5th wheel, and two cab over campers. I guess I've never done it right because on none of them did the tank sensors ever work correctly. I've tried the GEO, ice cubes, assorted chemicals etc but without success in getting the black and gray tank gauges to work. So now when I see the fresh water is low I know it is time to empty the holding tanks. (The built in rinse tank connections are not working as they should) Fresh water is the only one that consistently registers correctly. I don't hook up to city or campground water except to fill.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfart View Post
But what about the grey tank ? I've tried cleaning it the same way by driving around with soap & water in it. Then dumping and rinsing. But some of the level indicators still don't read correctly.
Purchased a backflush piece for my thor and haven't had a guage problem since I started backflushing. Be surprised what comes out of the tanks once you backflush. It gets all the stuff that screws up gauges and doesn't allow the tank to empty completely.
tvarges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I used to allow my tank to 'fill' before I dumped. I now dump at 3/4 but I do add the baking soda and dish washing power after each dump. I have a built in Sani-flush that I always use. The gauge on the black tank is still working well after about 1 1/2 years in this rig. I can't say the same for my first two rigs. I must, finally, be doing something right.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Just stick a flushing wand in the toilet opening. Works very well.
Save the ice for a nice drink. Was proven on youtube ice does not work.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Cleaning the black tank is kind of an exercise in futility.

If the problem is the sensors always show full, or partially full, even when you can visually verify that the tank is empty as many can.

See Level sensors is the answer..

The standard sensor is basically Junk.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Cleaning the black tank is kind of an exercise in futility.

If the problem is the sensors always show full, or partially full, even when you can visually verify that the tank is empty as many can.

See Level sensors is the answer..

The standard sensor is basically Junk.
This is true for older coaches. I don't know if the industry has moved to the external ones yet but Winnebago has used them for several years now. If they don't work correctly the problem is most likely on the tank wall behind the sensor. True, the old probe type would get all gooped up almost the first time used. Replacing the sensor system with externals sounds like the best idea.

The worst one I heard of was when I was at a project in FL. A lady was staying in a small trailer owned by the school director. One day she came to one of my volunteer coworkers complaining that her toilet would not flush. The quest asked was "When did you last dump your tank?" Answer: "What thank."

Well, the guys involved used a backflush fitting and statred freeing things up with hose water. She had not been using water either. Soon things began to flow but before all was done they did overfill the tank a little. That was known when they saw stuff coming out of the vent.

With a little instruction all was well after that. No more "black water issues".
Old 11-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

There is a back-flushing item called "Flush King". flushking.com On a Vista you have to use a 10'' clear extension then hook up the Flush King. It allows you to back flush each tank one-at-a-time. It works great. These items are sold at Camping World.
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, tank