Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Black tank water

It's been over 6 years since I have owned an RV and I don't remember how much water to put into the black tank prior to use. It is still empty from winterizing and I'm about ready to hit the road soon. Any advice would be helpful.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
I would want at least enough water to cover the bottom of the tank. Depending on the size of your tank 3-5 gallons should be more than enough.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm,,,,, The black tank will get some water after the first flush..

But seriously, I don't know why you would need to add any water to the black tank before using it.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Adding water to black tank

The reason you want to add some water to the black tank is to avoid the dreaded poop pyramid which can really mess up your system. I usually add about three gallons of water to the black tank after dumping.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #5

As long as the holding tanks are left closed in between dump sessions, you should never have an issue with pyramiding. I rarely add any water to either tank after dumping and let the natural amount of water used in washing and flushing fill the tanks. As long as you wait until the tanks are at least half full before dumping there will be more than enough volume of water to take care of any solids.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We've owned rvs in one shape or another for about 20 years now and the only water we add to the tank before using it is a bowl full of water when we put the deodorizer in it before we take off in the camper. We've never had any problems doing it that way.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I like to add a gallon of hot water with 2 cups of water softener like Calgon dissolved into it. The water softener makes the sides of the tank slippery and the solid waste lets go from the sides of the tanks easier. The first time I added water softener to the tanks the water coming from the black tank was actually black (not brown) and the gray tank’s water was also black (not brownish). That told me that the water softener had actually helped release what had been stuck to the interior of the tanks. I've also found that because it keeps my tanks cleaner [and the Calgon has a perfume scent] I can generally get away without adding toilet chemical.

Jimmy
Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

They do recommend 1-5 gallons.. I don't add any and have never had a problem in the 5 years I've been using it.

The only time I add clear water is when I'm adding Calgon and Dawn Dishwashing Liquid.. THen I add six gallons. > Why six

Cause that's the size of the water bottle I have.. .That's why
Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

After reading all the helpful comments I can see why I didn't remember what I did 6 years ago! Thanks one and all.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
They do recommend 1-5 gallons.. I don't add any and have never had a problem in the 5 years I've been using it.

The only time I add clear water is when I'm adding Calgon and Dawn Dishwashing Liquid.. THen I add six gallons. > Why six

Cause that's the size of the water bottle I have.. .That's why
Who are "they" anyway? I have never seen this kind of a recommendation from any coach manufacturer. Some of the folks who want you to add unnecessary chemicals to your tank will often refer to adding their product and some amount of water but based upon what?
Hot water? Ice cubes? Calgon? Dish-washing liquid?
Regular old water has worked for me for the last 10 years of full-timing. I do like the idea of using software to clean a tank but I don't believe that Calgon will magically dissipate the "hard" in water when it's already in the tank.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
I add water so I don't have a dry tank. I guess it depends on your setup, but on mine, I suspect the first gallon of "material" will end up in the drain pipe next to the dump valve if I don't add anything after dumping. I just let my tank flush run for a minute after I close the valve. To each their own I guess...
Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I'm at the other extreme from most of these posts because I put about 1/3 tank of fresh water after flushing. With a 57 gallon black tank that's about 20 gallons. It just seems to makes sense to me and I've assumed it helps with cleaning but have no evidence because I've never tried it any other way.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Very simple. None. It's worked for last 20 years, and not that I'm an eco-nut, but it will save a little H2O for the next flush when I really need it.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

We have had several RVs and read the manuals. They saw to add 1 or 2 gallons of water after dumping. During the use season, we will add the chemicals to the first bowl of water and then add a second bowl. 25 years plus of Rving and no potty problems, but we use plenty of wate ron a flush and make sure we have close to 3/4 of tank before dumping.

Ken