Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Black tank odor

Any recommendations would be helpful. Vent is not plugged, bad odors when tank is flushed (toilet). And bad smell from roof vent as well.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46490 View Post
Any recommendations would be helpful. Vent is not plugged, bad odors when tank is flushed (toilet). And bad smell from roof vent as well.

The odor from the vent means iit's working as designed. Odors when flushing usually depends upon how full the tank is.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
The odor from the vent means iit's working as designed. Odors when flushing usually depends upon how full the tank is.

Ron

Or if any ceiling fans are on
If the AC is on also when flushing, will pull odors from the tank right now.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have found that when the black tank is about full is when the odor starts. Then I know its time to empty.

Are you using a black tank odor control product? I have found that the product Breakup Plus works best for me.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Happy Camper is also a great odor/septic product.

Agree, the fan will pull unwanted fumes out of the tank during flushing.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Happy Camper x2 !!!! Cured our "odor" problem !!!!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I've been using this stuff for 16 years. Ordorlos. The nice thing about it is that after a while I don't have to put it in every time, the enzimes seem to build up in the tank and take care of business. I must say through that in hot weather we use it more often then in cold.

https://www.amazon.com/Yara-PA352LU2...ywords=odorlos

Be sure you are waiting to dump your tank until it is at least 2/3 full, the solids will not all wash out if there is not enough liquid in the tank. Think of it like dumping a bucket full of dirty water, you always get that little bit settled down in the bottom even with a full bucket. You may have to "stir the bucket" by using a "wash out hose" down your toilet to move the "solids" that have built up under your toilet dump pipe.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465825366.076015.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	130075Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465825384.557585.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	130076
Looks like good stuff!
I will have to try
Thanks
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1959 View Post
Happy Camper x2 !!!! Cured our "odor" problem !!!!
Stuff seems expensive: $28+ for 18 treatments.

We use Campa Chem from Walmart, etc. (Thetford Campa Chem Natural Dry Toss-Ins - Walmart.com), at $8.97 for 12 treatments. Never have an issue with odor in our motorhome or fifth wheel we spend the winter in.
oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

FWIW, we never use any black tank chemicals...never. We keep plenty of water in the black tank prior to using it, and we use plenty of water "when" using it. Every time we travel, I first drain it, then I put about 5 gallons of fresh water in the tank plus a cup of a liquid laundry detergent and a cap full of liquid Calgon water softener. The sloshing of the soapy water will remove any thing stuck to the sides of the tank and the water softener will make them slick so it will be more difficult for anything to stick. Once at the destination, I drain and flush with fresh water and then put several gallons of water in the tank...once again prior to using it.

Of course, we don't boondock so using lots of water is not a problem for us.

Yes, keeping the bathroom fan on may pull odors out of the toilet when you flush it and also if you have your fan on reverse (sucking air into the rv) you may pull odors coming out of the vent back into the rv.

Using chemicals is typically not required. If an odor persists, you probably have a problem where odors are getting past seals or maybe a cracked pipe/hose/connector. See if you can pinpoint exactly where the odor is coming from. Using chemicals is just masking the odor and is money down the drain.....pun intended.

Also, grey tank odors can sometimes be just a bad as black tank odors and is usually caused by a malfunctioning Air Admittance Valve (AAV) this is located under one or more of your sinks.

Hope this helps

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Just ordered another round of Happy Camper.

Somebody check my math.

$50 ÷ 64 treatments = $0.78 cents per treatment.

We go about 5 days per dump living fulltime the past 20 months.

64 treatments × 5 days = 320 days of Happy Living / Camping for $50 bucks.
What's that, 15 cents a day.
-----
We have Santi Flush on our black tank and it gets used almost every time I dump. Rinse it out 2 times.

As someone indicated above - the enzymes may hang around because I don't use the HC every time we dump. As the days get hotter we do use it every time.

We do keep our grey tank open most of the time. And occasionally give it a dose.

In Yuma this winter I decided to let a tank service do his thing on both tanks. The black tank yielded very little. The grey tank was pretty gunky.

The coach is an '08 and we've had her since '12. I know people will say the tanks don't need to be cleaned professionally if there isn't an issue, but I think - after seeing it done - that it's not a bad idea perhaps every 2 years regardless of how odor free you are or if your gauges are functioning properly.

I do suggest you follow the directions and mix the powder in the bowl. I read one complaint on the forum awhile back that the powder didn't disolve in the tank and they had to have it cleaned out. That OP admitted to just pouring the powder in and expecting it to disolve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465832867707.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	130081  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have learned that you do not turn on the roof vent without opening a window to give it air to pull through. The maxxair vent in the Fuse will cause slight negative pressure if the windows are closed and when you flush you will get a snoot full of black tank. Open a window and it does not happen.

Don
Tallahassee, Fl
2017 Fuse 23a
The conFUSEd RVer
dp226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, odor, tank