Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Black Tank Flush valve leak

Hi, I have an 03 Winnebago Adventurer 38g When I went to flush my black tank through the flush valve water came gushing out from on top of the tank I think... Does anyone know how I can access the top of the tank to check it out? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Dean
deanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hello deanc! :welcome: Welcome to the discussion forums. Someone will be here shortly who has an Adventurer and will offer their expertise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanc View Post
Hi, I have an 03 Winnebago Adventurer 38g When I went to flush my black tank through the flush valve water came gushing out from on top of the tank I think... Does anyone know how I can access the top of the tank to check it out? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Dean
my flush system had a vacuum breaker located on the bathroom wall behind the drawers. it leaked, showering water from above down into the water service compartment.
i removed the vacuum breaker, and installed 2 ea. 90 degree brass barbed fittings and about 2 feet of coiled plastic tubing with double worm drive clamps on both ends. i always use an external vacuum breaker when i connect the flush water hose.
i recently discovered that lowes sells vanguard and apollo push on plastic fittings that work with the plastic pex lines installed in my moho. pex tubing is to stiff to make a loop so you would need several 90 degree angle fittings.
the loop is needed to keep black water from draining through the flush line by gravity and syphoning when the black tank is full.
the right size vacuum breaker was not available when i made my modification.

http://www.lowes.com/pl_PEX+Compress...sales_dollar|1
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar issue with my 06 Journey. I found a simple repair solution that cost less than $20 to fix and I bet it would be a similar repair on your Adventurer. The explaination is a little lenghty but you can find it by searching "Black Water Flush Repair". (If I wasn't computer illerate I would try to import it to this thread for you, but...) Good luck, MDPD
MDPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Just repaired my neighbors Winnie, same thing. His was a piece of foreign material, looked like a piece of casting slag, that had wedged in the flush valve mechanism. Took it out, all works fine now.
Accessed the valve, by removing the dresser drawers in the bedroom, the dresser drawers were on same wall as bathroom, on the streetside, the valve was just under the top drawer level. A bit of a pistol to get to, but serviceable none the less...The valve is a nice brass casting, rather a better quality than I had expected. Stuff happens!
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Dean,
I have a similar problem at times. The flush connector is on a metal partition, and I have a 90 degree adapter on the connection. Most of the time I have no leakage, but sometimes the connector gets bumped and it leaks from behind the panel. By readjusting the connector it stops. Yeah, I know it's a PITA, but it doesn't happen that often, so I live with it.

As previously mentioned, sometime I'll have to take the drawers out of the dresser above and see if I can tighten it from there.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks to all that answered but on my Winnebago 38g in the bedroom behind the dresser I don't see a valve. But I do see the water fill which is about 3 to 4 feet behind my flush valves. The leak seems to be coming from on top of the tank which I can barely see if I pull a access cover just below the control panel for the MH for the stat , pump switch, gen start and other items, Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks,

Dean
Old 12-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Dean that sounds somewhat like what happened to our RV when new. I filled the grey tank and it overflowed, both into the RV and ran out the bottom of the underbelly. I returned to the dealer, and the technician discovered that the vent pipe was not sealed in the top of the tank. He worked hard to just access the pipe/tank opening, even asked if he could cut a larger hole in the floor so he could reach the joint with sealant. (tank was installed tight against the floor underside)
He did a good job, eliminated the leak and sealed the enlarged hole in the floor so it appears untouched.

I should have thought of that when I first replied, my bad.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Ray, But this is a new problem this trip that only happens when I hook up the hose to the black water flush line.to rinse the black tank out..I'm thinking a line must of broken but just don't know how to access it.
Dean

Tags
leak, tank