Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
$34 each retail for that 360 Siphon Plumbing Vent Cap? You can accomplish the same thing with a plastic 'T' from the bathroom section of Home Depot at $4 each.

The plastic "T" does not do the same as the 360. The 360 is designed to use Venturi and Bernoulli forces drawing odors out of the tanks no matter which direction the wind is from, either head on while driving or from any angle while parked. A plastic "T" is really only effective while driving or if the wind is from the front or back of the coach. So while you save $26 you do not get the most for your money.

Most people do not use enough water when they flush, thinking that the less water used the longer it will take to fill the tank. While this may be true, it is not in your best interest to conserve water here. When I empty my black tank I use the flusher to fill the tank to about 15%. Then with each flush I add another bowl full of water, not just enough to move things along, but a full bowls worth. Unless your have 14 teenagers with you, you will not fill the black tank in a week and if you do have 14 teenagers with you, show them the CG toilets, you nose will thank you. I empty the black tank only after it is at least half full. In our case this works out to about once a week. I empty the grey tank as often as required, being sure I have a full grey to flush the stinky slinky with when I dump the black.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Happy camper in tank. Also use a gallon of bleach every so often to kill everything. Not both at same time. Good luck
Trapperbob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

The residual bleach kills Happy Camper.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I solved our tank-smell issue with the 360 Siphon Plumbing Vent Cap, available in black or white, from Camping World and others. It was easy to remove the OEM cap, cut down the black pipe by just a little bit, and seal/install the new cap.
Plus one!
I have installed these on two RVs and there is absolutely no odor with the exception of during actually flushing the toilet if the Fantastic Fan on at the same time. They are $30 each and will replace the $3. Winnebago vent. You do not need chemicals of any kind with this vent save annual cleaning. The savings from not needing chemicals will more than offset the replacement costs. I have been using these since 2008. For 2017, they are standard on Entegra coaches - a tribute to their effectiveness. They are now distributed/marketed by Lippert.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmike View Post
Jim HiTek, How does the "T" rotate to accommodate changing wind direction?
It doesn't rotate, and it doesn't need to. When you're driving the open ends of the T are parallel with the air flow causing a slight draw. When you're parked, the openness of the T allows air to flow freely, no matter what the wind direction. It's not trapped like with a dome type.

There's no whistling that I can hear, rain won't get in because the openings are perpendicular to rainfall, and even if a tiny amount of rain did get in when driving, it goes into a holding tank, and it won't be much. The way it's situated, while driving, it encourages a negative pressure in the tank, which exhausts odors, even when you open the driver's window. When you're parked, the lack of any blockages helps the exhaust process because the biological activity in the tanks creates warmth, and warm air rises. Even when experiencing varying changes in humidity, changing air pressures, and swirling winds while parked, a T seems to keep the odors to a minimum.

And for $8 compared to $60, (need two for both black and grey tanks) it's worth experimenting with.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
Happy camper in tank. Also use a gallon of bleach every so often to kill everything. Not both at same time. Good luck
A gallon of bleach?! Not a good idea for the sewer system wherever you're staying, especially if it's a holding tank system. Bad idea. Not good for many seals either.

The actual formula for a troubled holding tank in a RV is:

0.13 oz of bleach X Tank size in gallons = oz of bleach needed at most.

For a 60 gallon tank, that's only 7.8 oz. Less than a cup.

Please rethink your usage of that much bleach.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnariley53 View Post
... the toilet is used while underway.
I realize this will make me sound like a jerk, but does your toilet have seatbelts? Why on earth would you be using it while underway?
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

I am pretty sure many of us use the bathroom while traveling down the road, I also get things from the fridge & make the occasional sandwich. Thought most with a motorhome did this, can't imagine I'm the only one.
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I solved our tank-smell issue with the 360 Siphon Plumbing Vent Cap, available in black or white, from Camping World and others. It was easy to remove the OEM cap, cut down the black pipe by just a little bit, and seal/install the new cap.
I installed two of these units, one on the black tank and one on the gray tank.
No more odor.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:49 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter27C View Post
We had the same issue and fitted one of the Venturi type caps on the vent pipe. Made a big difference for a few dollars

Pete
Yes, change your roof vent to a 360 Syphon. This will fix your problem. I replaced both roof vents with these.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
I realize this will make me sound like a jerk, but does your toilet have seatbelts? Why on earth would you be using it while underway?
I don't suppose you ever have the urge to go while someone else is driving...?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

360 Siphon Vent.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, odor, tank, toilet