Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Another Plumbing Water Leak Problem

Hello,

I went through the search function for water leaks in this forum and came up with six pages that were not my problem, I feel for all of you!

During the course of winterizing our '05 Journey K I discovered a leak under the sink. It appears to be the upper connection for the filtered water fixture. I say appears because I tested the lower connection, which plugs into a three way 'T' connecter and it was tight. The fact that there was potable anti-freeze at the top of the same line makes me believe the leak is there. My question is, has anyone ever worked on this connection? I am unable to get to it from the bottom compartment and have considered taking the sink out or, preferably, the drinking water faucet out of the counter to be able to access this fitting.

I really would appreciate the benefit of those who have been there and done this! There has to be an easier way!

Thanks,

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Unfortunately, every Winnebago is different in terms of how they installed the sink and the plumbing. To access our plumbing, I had to remove the 12-volt breaker panel and the compartment that holds the two-way radios. Removing the sink can often be a real pain in the neck so I would see this as a last resort. I wish I could get a picture of your sink area to be of more help.

Jack
Old 12-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Jack,

Thanks for your response. A picture would have been a good idea but I store the unit at another location and I just went out yesterday to put some anti-freeze in the lines as I had already blown them clear. Not anticipating a problem, I did not have a camera with me! Our layout is one where there are two compartments under the sink. One contains all the plumbing and 'J' traps while the other contains a slide-out storage area. This slide out will not come out without at least one slide being deployed. Needless to say, it is very tight in there.

I have no desire to try to get into the cabinet and work on this problem so I suspect I may have to try to pull the filtered water spigot out?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you had already blown the lines clear. then there is not need for antifreeze except in the traps. Again if you have blown the lines there should be very little water and a bucket under the leak may take care of it till spring. I removed a couple of drawers to the right so as to access my purified water faucet as it was very loose. You may consider this later. Yes it is very tight I would wait till I could get the slides out..Happy holidays and Be Safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
Jim
Winnebago Owner

hi..my 2001 itasca has a moen single lever faucet where the head doubles as a sprayer and is detachable..i had a leak in the same area.. i called moen as it was still under warranty and they sent me a new valve assembly for the sprayer which was replaced from the top..the valve was leaking from the top and running down so it appeared the pipes below were leaking..it's been several years now and still ok..jim..
Old 12-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Jim, Thanks, I suppose it could not hurt to call the manufacturer and I never gave any thought to the leak being in the assembly because we have never used the filtered water! Hard to believe, but we always carry a supply of bottled water for coffee and drinking so I have never even put a filter on the mount. I suppose that's an argument for it being defective by drying out?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The filtered water spigot on my 03 Journey was a poc. It failed after a couple of years. I replaced it with another from Winnebago. It too failed. Got a similar one at Home Depot for half the price and it has worked for 5 years.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

ernieh,

What did you have to do to get it out of the counter? I'm all for redoing the whole thing with tubing and connectors but I have no idea what has to be loosened to get the thing out of the counter top?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

To remove just remove the water line and then the "nut" that holds it in. My original was an Everpur and the nut was a thumb nut (no wrench required).
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote