Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air compressor for winteriztion

I plan to do my own winterization and will need to purchase an air compressor. What size of unit will work just for this? It is also my understanding that a regulator should be used to limit the pressure to 40-50 lbs psi to avoid damaging pipes and connections. Also, if all the tanks are drained and the lines are blown out, other than antifreeze in the drain traps, how important is antifreeze in the water lines.

THX
Starguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Most small pancake compressors have an adjustable regulator and will do the job. If you get the water out of the lines with air then no need for antifreeze.

Let me just add this. You need to buy RV antifreeze to poor in the traps. For me it's just easier to by 2 gallons, around $2 to $2.50 a gallon and just run antifreeze through the lines. 2 gallons is enough for our MH and when I'm done flushing it through the lines the traps are already taken care of. We have a valve and tube that you stick in the gallon of antifreeze. Turn the valve and turn on the pump and it will pump antifreeze through the system. Also gets any water out of the pump. Don't forget the outside shower and toilet sprayer if you have them.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I use air on mine .....my Dad always used air, not much else available back in those days. As far as the pressure, we purchased the "blow out" attachment and a water pressure regulator at Walmart and attached the two together and then onto the "city" attachment (where you hook up the hose in the summer) of the rig. The regulator keeps the pressure at 40ish PSI and we use the on board air to blow it out. Open all the faucets until no, or very little moisture on both hot and cold side (I drain water heater first) while pushing air through the system. Before the addition of the kit for the pump we would just remove it and take it in the house, now we just pump a little R V antifreeze into it to protect the pump. We have the electric water heater bypass that has never worked since we bought the coach so we use air to avoid pumping a ton of antifreeze (10 gallons in my case!) in the hot water heater. Don't forget to put about a cup of the pink antifreeze into each trap and you are good to go, no need to put antifreeze in the now empty lines.

As far as the compressor, get one with as large of a tank as you can. Takes a little longer to build up the pressure in the tank but lasts longer and makes the job quicker with less stopping to let the compressor "catch up" IMHO.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have a little brass fitting that screws into the fresh water port. The other side of the brass fitting has an air hose quick connect attachment. I just hook up the air hose and set the compressor regulator to 40 psi. Drain the HW tank and bypass it. Blow out the water lines at all fixtures including the toilet and outside shower. Pour about a cup of RV antifreeze into drain traps and into toilet bowl. I use about 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze. Takes 15 minutes. We live in the South so we use our camper during the winter months if we get a warm spell. If I lived up North and was putting the camper into hibernation for 5 months, I would probably fill the lines with RV antifreeze.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

One of those 5-6 gallon pancake compressor works well. I would get one that does 135 to 150 lbs so you can use it to fill your tires easily. I bought mine on a Black Friday sale and it came with a nail gun. I keep my compressor in my garage when I am not traveling and take it with me when I am on the road to fills tires etc. Here is an updated version of what I have https://www.amazon.com/Bostitch-BTFP...air+compressor While you're at it get one of these adapters for the water intake https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-B...07R4942TB78P9R Remember use the maximum pressure your manual calls for - mine says no more than 30 psi. I only use the air when I have a late trip planned and when I get back I use anti-freeze for the rest of winter season.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

i use a porter cable pancake compressor just like you use for an air nailer it is also big enough to fill my tires 19.5 works great. I keep it in the basement
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #7

This Viair compressor works well for me ...
SALE PRICE ALERT: Viair 400P-RV Air Compressor - TheRVgeeks
SteveD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I use a 6 gallon pancake compressor for blowing out the lines and only put antifreeze in the traps. I set the compressor to 40-50 psi.

A couple of things you should also do is remove the pump filter housing to empty the water there. I also remove the inlet and outlet hoses to let them drain and run the pump to clear the housing. Last is depending upon how the toilet is plumbed I remove the hose to let any trapped water drain from the toilet valve.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I blow mine out every year and put antifreeze in the traps only. Be sure to remove and drain the pump including the trap with the mesh filter. If your fridge has an icemaker, be sure to disconnect the water feed to it and the line to the fridge. Also remove the icemaker water supply solenoid as they are difficult to drain and you will not be able to blow air thru it. Leave the drain valves open for a couple of weeks to insure everything drains out. Good luck.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, winter