Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Is it just me, or is there a design problem with Winnebago's dump valve compartment? You open the outer door, then rotate the cover on the bottom of the compartment to allow the hose to go through. Then you discover that the female end of the hose (the connection that hooks to the dump valve connection) will not fit thru the opening from the bottom. So you have to take the other end of the hose, run it thru the opening (and it barely fits), then feed the entire length of the hose thru the opening before you can hook the hose to the dump valve. And worse is when it is time to leave. You dump, flush the tank from the inside with the built in gizmo, then you have to feed the entire hose, which is now dripping, no matter what you do, back thru the compartment before you can remove and store the hose. Wouldn't a larger hole in the bottom of the compartment make this whole thing much easier???
Old 09-18-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Is it just me, or is there a design problem with Winnebago's dump valve compartment? You open the outer door, then rotate the cover on the bottom of the compartment to allow the hose to go through. Then you discover that the female end of the hose (the connection that hooks to the dump valve connection) will not fit thru the opening from the bottom. So you have to take the other end of the hose, run it thru the opening (and it barely fits), then feed the entire length of the hose thru the opening before you can hook the hose to the dump valve. And worse is when it is time to leave. You dump, flush the tank from the inside with the built in gizmo, then you have to feed the entire hose, which is now dripping, no matter what you do, back thru the compartment before you can remove and store the hose. Wouldn't a larger hole in the bottom of the compartment make this whole thing much easier???
Old 09-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Huh? What model Winnie do you have? On mine, the semi-circular opening at the bottom easily allows me to fit the hose in from the side. Does yours only have a circular opening?

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

OBG must have the same or earlier year as my rig. The whole deal is awkward and messy. Far as I can tell, my rig cannot be modified with the semi-circular opening that the newer rigs have, both in the dump compartment and the shore power compartment.

What say you, DriVer??

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have the same design. Not one of the smarter examples of engineering I have ever seen. I would be interested in suggestions of how to fix this.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
My female end fits thru easily, you just have to angle it corectly
Old 09-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My female end fits thru easily... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mine fits not REAL easily, but the key is on angling it just right. I use the red connectors. Others may be more difficult or impossible...
Old 09-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fossilhog:
My female end fits thru easily, you just have to angle it corectly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My twin tab/ear coupling fits through with some english however my Rhino four tab coupling will not go through. It is just too heavy duty to make it through. If anyone finds an upgrade that would allow it to feed through I would be interested too.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

My former rig was a 1999 Adventurer ... while attending a rally I ordered a pump-out from the "honey wagon" ...

When I returned to my rig I found that my "discharge" had been rotated so that they could attach their suction hose from the side ...

I just left it that way ... I never used the ugly "feed it through the bottom of the compartment opening again"
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My 01 Brave had the same problem however my 05 Adventurer has an opening that when open exposes the edge allowing the hose to fit nicely.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have the same problem with an 01 Itasca dump hose hole being too small. Sure hope some enterprising individual has come up with a way around this. If it is raining when you break camp this can be a real bummer.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have no problem passing my sewer hose thru the access port. One poster mentioned a four lug connector that would not fit,I can visualize the problem that would cause.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:09 AM   #13

I had forgotten what a "pain" it was to try and fit the hose through the circle. You had to get it just right or it wouldn't pass through. It was esp. annoying in the dark or in the rain to fool with. Our coach now has the drop down trap door so the hose fits and the door can close. One of the reasons we traded up ! Just kidding
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:29 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

The Quick-Port used on both the sewer and electrical compartments floors on '04 (and newer) Winnies can be retrofitted to many earlier coaches. Just need a sawzall, razor knife, drill & pop rivet gun. Takes about an hour; not a big deal. I have a friend that retrofitted it on his coach. For those of you who are interested, take a look at the Quick Port on a '04 or newer coach, and you'll see it probably can fit yours.
The part can be purchased at:
Lichtsinn Parts or from Winnebago Parts
It's part #142226-02-01A, costs $17.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

troth, thanks for that info. I tried to find the part number in both of those hard to use on-line parts catalogs, and couldn't, but I will keep trying. If nothing else, I think that I will just remove the current too small rotating cover and just lay of piece of plastic or something over the hole while traveling...
Old 09-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

The correct Winnebago part number is in my post above. Same port for either electric or sewer compartment. -You're correct about the difficult to use parts books, but that's the way Winnebago publishes them. Frankly, I just give the guys a call on their 1-800 phone number and tell 'em what I need. Oh yeah, and if you don't need it next-day-air, better tell 'em, because that's usually how it's shipped.