Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I searched on "extra water."
Has anyone added an additional fresh water tank in a basement? Or on the roof? Seems like an extra 30 gallons would be the ticket. Or maybe it's so common nobody talks about it?
Farmerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I searched on "extra water."
Has anyone added an additional fresh water tank in a basement? Or on the roof? Seems like an extra 30 gallons would be the ticket. Or maybe it's so common nobody talks about it?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I carry an extra 10 gals, in 5 gallion containers under the bed, if I need it I pour it in the main tank. The problem with adding an additional 30 gals as I see it is I would runn out of waste tank space.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You would also have to watch the weight limits on your rear axel 30 gals a extra 240 lbs approx.
May have to remove items you want in compartments.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would definately not put an extra 30 gallons of water up on the roof. Too much weight, I don't know what it might do to the structure or handling of your motorhome. I would think of ways to save water instead ( paper plates, cook over the campfire, etc. )
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

ppl has a tank that will slide into the basement beside the existing fresh water tank. That makes the fresh water equal to the capacity of the two waste water tanks. No, there's no way to preciseley meter 40 into the black and 50 into the grey. But i figure i would not top of the Aux. fresh water tank. So far, on average, we use about 30 gallon of fresh a day without rationing. Another 30 would add an extra day. Another 240lbs on a 17000lbs rig is factional. The equivalent of another rider my size. (give or take 10-20lbs)
Old 06-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It's not the weight added to your chassis that I would be concerned about but the location of it. I just don't think up on the roof is a good place to add 240lbs. In the basement area on your frame is a whole different story than up on the roof. Either way good luck with your pursuit of more water and let us know how the project turns out.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Easyrider:
It's not the weight added to your chassis that I would be concerned about but the location of it. I just don't think up on the roof is a good place to add 240lbs. In the basement area on your frame is a whole different story than up on the roof. Either way good luck with your pursuit of more water and let us know how the project turns out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Good point - you certainly don't want to raise your center of gravity by adding too much weight on the roof, but you need to be careful even with a concentration of weight in a basement compartment. The compartments in my coach are only designed to hold about 200 pounds per space. The "board" that makes up the basement floor is fairly stiff, but it will break under too much load unless reinforced with steel bracing.

On our last boat I removed leaky aluminum water tanks and replaced them with rubber bladders which worked extremely well for several years. A bladder would make an ideal auxiliary tank due to the large footprint which would reduce the PSI loading.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I go to nascar and it is very difficult to find extra water while at the race for a week. So I purchased a tilt a rack which is an extension platform for the rear trailer hitch and a 70 gallon water fresh water tank, which i will strap to the rear tilt a rack. I put a spicket on the water tank and plan on then draining it or pumpoing it into the rv. I think the weight will be around an extra 800 lbs. Is this ok for the rear hitch?
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I can't speak directly to your Suncruiser, but my Vectra, which has a 10,000lb hitch, is limited to 500lb load on the hitch.

On edit: Actually, the brochure for your Suncruiser: 2006 Suncruiser
indicates a maximum 500lb vertical tongue weight as well.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The 500 pound vertical load limit for the hitch most assuredly was designed with dynamic loading as a consideration (up and down movement of the hitch) which would multiply the static load by some factor.

Putting 700 pounds on the 500 pound-rated hitch while the coach is *not* moving is probably safe but this is just my *guess*.

If it was my coach, I would not be too concerned about it.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

We bought one of these and store it in a medium size rubbermaid container. When we need water and don't want to move the motorhome it goes into the toad and we fill it up and pump it into our water tank.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote