Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

98 Winnebago Adventure Black Water tank

I've noticed on our last trip (a couple of days ago) that my black water did not completely drain when I was at the dump. I let it drain for at least 15 minutes before closing the tank and opening the grey water. I went the the RV shop for some cleaner and it seems to have broken everything down when I checked the gauges which read empty. After looking down the drain I noticed that it was still at a high level (this was after we returned home). My plan is to go to the storage spot to dump again and with any luck it will clear out.

Has anyone experienced this same problem? Please I need all the help or suggestions I can get.
Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It is posible that some tissue or other waste has formed a mass near the drain. When I experienced that type of problem I dumped a cup of simple green into the tank, filled the tank to about 3/4, drove around for about 15 minutes and then dumped.
It solved my problem at the time.
Good luck.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I will try that in the morning or afternoon and will post the results. I hope it's that easy.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I let mine empty then close the valve and open the black tank rinse. Let it fill -empty and repeat If you don't have that go inside and fill from the toilet. I've done it as many as three times and still get some solids coming through but when I'm done I think it's pretty clean. You can search YouTube and see it done. Good luck.
Bob-Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

thanks for all the input. Yes i'm sure that there is no blockage between the toilet and tank I've dropped a clean out hose and it goes down to the bottom. I've added water to the tank and with any luck I will dump it again tomorrow evening. My plan is to empty a couple of bags of ice (without the bag) and drive it to the dump. I'm praying it works. I will post tomorrow. I also plan on using the dump fitting with the hose adapter to shoot water back into the tank.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

OK this is what I tried. I filled the tank to about 1/3 to 2/3 full and added chemicals and let it sit for 4 days. Then it was off to the dump station so I poured 2 medium sized ice bags into the tank. Drove to the dump station about 15 miles away and hooked up the dump and used my cleaning jets (internal) and dumped the fluids while using the jets. I ran the jets about 5 to 10 minutes. I'm almost positive that the tank is now empty (verified by looking down the toilet tube). Now that the tank is empty the gauge on the wall says it is 2/3 full. What the heck am i doing wrong.

Or should I just let it go and know that it's empty?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohsirr
OK this is what I tried. I filled the tank to about 1/3 to 2/3 full and added chemicals and let it sit for 4 days. Then it was off to the dump station so I poured 2 medium sized ice bags into the tank. Drove to the dump station about 15 miles away and hooked up the dump and used my cleaning jets (internal) and dumped the fluids while using the jets. I ran the jets about 5 to 10 minutes. I'm almost positive that the tank is now empty (verified by looking down the toilet tube). Now that the tank is empty the gauge on the wall says it is 2/3 full. What the heck am i doing wrong.

Or should I just let it go and know that it's empty?
Those sensors are known to be a problem. I would think you're safe in assuming it's empty. One thought - you should add the ice to an empty tank then drive around so the ice breaks up anything stuck to the floor of the tank. Sort of like a scrub brush.
Bob-Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Best thing you can do is put a piece of black electrical tape over those little level sensor lights. They always lie about the true tank level.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Try the 'GEO' method to clean the tank and internal sensors. The water softener makes the detergent more effective at breaking down any sludge on the tank walls and floor. https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, winnebago