Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
Owner and Traveler

2018 VISTA 27PE HW Bypass Valve

How in the heck do you get to this rascal? I threw out my back last summer being a contortionist tearing apart the macerator and don't want to go thru that again with the HW bypass valve. Thanks for any suggestions.

John
2018 Vista 27PE
jcr5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Go to WinnebagoInd.com and look at the plumbing diagram for your specific year and model. It will show you exactly where the HW bypass valve is. You can call Winneabago Customer Service if you can't figure it out from the drawing yourself. It's a quarter turn plastic valve in the cold water inlet pex tubing to the hot water heater with a pex teed into the hot water outlet pex line. There's a check valve threaded into the hot water outlet port of the water heater, that's how they are able to do it with only 1 valve vs. the old style way which was to use 3 valves.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
Owner and Traveler

Yeah, I know exactly where it is and can even see it. Just can not get to it. Its at the bottom front of the HW heater, which is behind the drawers (about 3 feet back from front of drawers and not reachable by me that way if I take out the drawers). From under the sink, there is a partial wall up almost to the bottom of the sink. Getting to it from there, even if climbing into the small cabinet, would require twisting my arm several different directions to get around plumbing and the partial wall. Even if I could twist that way not sure I'd have enough leverage to turn the valve.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You may have to remove that partial panel. I had to on a previous Winnie model. Just made it easier for me. Panel is probably held by four screws.

Wish it were easier.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr5353 View Post
How in the heck do you get to this rascal? I threw out my back last summer being a contortionist tearing apart the macerator and don't want to go thru that again with the HW bypass valve. Thanks for any suggestions.

John
2018 Vista 27PE
Not sure if your 27PE is same as my 2014 27N on my unit the hot water bypass is under the hot water tank panel located in rear storage unit RH side. Remove metal cover to expose water heater plumbing and plastic valve is easy to reach. Hope this is helpful.
rereaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
Owner and Traveler

Finally was able to reach the bypass valve by taking out the drawers, laying on the floor (and half way into the cabinet). Mine is not located the same as the 2014 27N. Mine is under the sink and way back behind the kitchen drawers. I'm thinking a piece of 1/2" PVC trimmed on one end to accept the valve handle might work as an extension arm and avoid having to remove the drawers. They are a pain to get re-installed in the tracks correctly. Thanks for the assistance.

As an aside, while blowing out the water lines I learned to remember how the HW heater blow-out valve is in the open/closed position. Can't get much pressure in the lines if it's in the open position, and no apparent easy way to tell which way is open and which way is closed.

John

2018 Vista 27PE
Old 01-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I know the pain you are experiencing. We too have a 27PE. The drawer slides are difficult. No indicators on the bypass valve to indicate open or closed and you have to crawl into the space to reach the valve. Very poor service design, but it follows a pattern of poor design on this model. Obviously cost accounting overrode all common sense engineering ideas. Our solution will be a Newmar or Tiffin as soon as possible.
ddbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Which position is open vs bypassed?
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The valve is a tee configuration with two opposite lines horizontal and one going up vertical. Os the normal operating position horizontal or vertical?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
Owner and Traveler

Bypass mode is when the valve handle is in line with the vertical hose. Normal operation is when the valve handle is in line with the horizontal pipes.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks
Old 03-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #12
Almost Retired

PVC handle extender

I share your pain. I made an extender by putting a notch in a two foot piece of 3/4 inch pvc. I was then able to reach it without removing the drawer. Works great!
Sturgis is offline   Reply With Quote