Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 Vista 35f Half bath black tank will not dump

We stopped at a local campground to dump and hubby went to dump the half bath and when pushing the button nothing happens but we hearing the macerator grinding noise, but nothing comes out the sewer. We hooked up the water hose to flush the tank and you can hear the water going into the tank but again, nothing happens when he tries to dump. Now the tank level says it is full (of water I'm guessing as it was third full prior). The full bath dumps fine, grey water dumps fine. We left things alone and came on home to settle back in. Just for information, he dumped the tank fine last Thursday before leaving Friday morning. What happened and what should we do? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
Wandering Winnie

I am sure you already know, but I will say it anyway. There are two valves , one in with the macerater. And one in with the main valves. The in the back has the valve above and behind the panel with the power button. Both need to be opened to drain the tank. And don't forget to close valves when done. Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes we know there are 2 valves; have done this enough by now to remember. I believe that there is a clog. Maybe my question wasn't clear enough, how do we remove the clog? The tank is now full of water and added more TST chemical. It will sit for a day or 2 and see if this loosens up the mess.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

DH has the tank emptying now. I don't know the technical terms so bear with me. Added Rid X to the toilet and let it sit for 24 or so hours. He removed the cap where the macerator is and used his screwdriver to turn the macerator (blades?) a couple of times and that got things flowing again. The test will be to take it back to the campground and do a good dump.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to raise a "messy" thought....you may have created the dreaded "black pyramid" with either excessive amount of toilet paper that failed to dissolve, or not fully flushing out the system during prior dumps. I do not have a macerator, but I can tell you that after installing a "Tornado" flush system, I'm seeing that continual flushing AFTER the tank empties shows waste still coming out for perhaps 5-10 minutes. You can also begin using something like Happy Camper to dissolve solids before you dump. Took me almost 30 years of dumping to "get it right". Happy Camper in added to your gray tank (be sure it is diluted) to your kitchen sink will also help with odor control and breakdown of solids that adhere to tank walls due to body wash, food particles, etc.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbud View Post
Sorry to raise a "messy" thought....you may have created the dreaded "black pyramid" with either excessive amount of toilet paper that failed to dissolve, or not fully flushing out the system during prior dumps. I do not have a macerator, but I can tell you that after installing a "Tornado" flush system, I'm seeing that continual flushing AFTER the tank empties shows waste still coming out for perhaps 5-10 minutes. You can also begin using something like Happy Camper to dissolve solids before you dump. Took me almost 30 years of dumping to "get it right". Happy Camper in added to your gray tank (be sure it is diluted) to your kitchen sink will also help with odor control and breakdown of solids that adhere to tank walls due to body wash, food particles, etc.
Hello,
I’m considering installing the tornado in both black tanks. I have a 36’ vista with a bath and a half-this two black ranks. I watched a video today and the guy said manual says pressure has to be between 45-60 psi. I’m concerned about how well it works. Can you advise on yours and how long you have had it.
Bruce brannum
[email protected]
Gentracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I installed a Tornado last year while on an 11 month trip. I had been using a flush system (hose connected to clear coupling) to backflush the black tank and thought it had been doing a good job after we experienced the dreaded pyramid shortly after purchasing our pre-owned 29R. Before installing the Tornado, I put my iPhone against the open mounting hole and took a picture....something you don't want to see....yikes!

The Tornado does an amazing job. I've found it most effective if I have water flow on during the flush (use without a pressure regulator). When tank empties, close valve, fill tank at least 1/3, then flush (with water on) again. "Rinse and repeat" about 3-4 times...you'll be amazed at the paper that continues to come out at the end of each cycle.

While on the subject, you might also create a flush wand with your hose, remove the vent cap above the tank on the roof, then insert your wand until it enters the tank. It's necessary for the hose to reach into the tank, so using something flexible is important. Turn on full pressure (remove a pressure valve if you are using one), and 'twist' the wand around. The hardened waste will be flushed through.

With a clean tank, add some Happy Camper and fill to at least half-full. Drive to your next destination and empty. You'll never have another problem again!

Tags
tank, black tank