Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 Meridian When it Rains water gets inside coach

I took delivery of a new 2014 Meridian 36M in July 2014. On the test drive when we got back to the dealership and I hit the break, water came in above the door and onto the dash. The salesman said it had rained hard that morning and the slides were out so it must have come form there. Two days later at the dealership I went into see how the pre-delivery prep was going and found water all over the tile floor and the bathroom was totally fogged over and the walls were wet. I should have run at that time but was told the roof vent was left open and rain came in because there was no Max air cover on at the time. They were to clean up the mess and inspect for leaks at that time.

They cleaned up the coach, I took delivery and we have had water come in the coach every time we were in the rain since then. I took it back to the dealer and they resealed the roof, it still leaked so I took it back and they did a pressure test and sealed the places they found that showed a leak. Our next trip was 4 weeks later to the Tampa RV show and we had more water and condensation in the coach than ever before.
I am in contact with a Winnebago Service Rep and I hope he will take this serious problem to heart and help me get this fixed.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

That does not sound good at all, keep us posted on how you get this resolved. Hard to understand how they can pressure test the coach and not find where this is happening but then how good is their word about what they actually did.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Your coach has been leaking for almost 2 years. It sounds like it is saturated if your getting condensation on the inside walls and windows. You should be careful of mold and mildew going forward. Make sure you run a dehumidifier and heaters to dry it out. Does the water leak into the basement as well?
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

dehumidifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
Your coach has been leaking for almost 2 years. It sounds like it is saturated if your getting condensation on the inside walls and windows. You should be careful of mold and mildew going forward. Make sure you run a dehumidifier and heaters to dry it out. Does the water leak into the basement as well?
I bought a dehumidifier in Tampa and ran it from 6pm to 8am the next morning and it had collected 15 pints of water in the 30 pint container. I had never had that much condensation in any coach after 15 years of camping. I feel that the rain on Friday night leaking into the coach somewhere is the source of the condensation. I tried to post pictures of the condensation but couldn't do it. I am in the process of making an appointment with Camping World to try again to solve this ongoing problem.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Wow, that is unbelievable. Have you considered taking the coach back to the factory? Have you had it tested for mold? I hope you can successfully resolve this.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

mold test

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Wow, that is unbelievable. Have you considered taking the coach back to the factory? Have you had it tested for mold? I hope you can successfully resolve this.
It is a long way from South Georgia to the factory in Iowa. I had hoped a good service department could consult with the factory and find the problem. That hasn't happened yet and my next move is to try another Camping World service location. That sounds crazy as the Camping World that we bought the coach from is 2 miles from my home but that store has disappointed me too many times and I will not buy a pack of toilet paper from them again! How do you test for mold? It only leaks when it rains Thank goodness I have a covered poll barn to keep it in when we are home.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

So sorry to hear about your leak problem. We had a2013 36M that would occasionally drip water during periods of heavy rain from the ceiling joint directly over the entry steps. Never could find the source but I suspected the roof joint at the front cap even though it looked tight.

Given the few actual openings on the roof, I would suspect that your leak could possibly be coming from one of the rooftop A/C units seals. Sounds like you may be getting a lot of water trapped between the roof and the ceiling. The Dicor material makes a pretty secure seal at the fan openings, antenna wiring, etc. The A/C units depend on a compressed foam gasket which is why that would be my suspected entry point for water.

On the other hand, we had an 05' Journey that had a hairline crack in the Fantastic Fan housing above the roofline and it leaked quite a bit of water during heavy downpours (which stained the ceiling). I absolutely could barely see this crack. I only found the crack when after I removed all the Dicor material to reseal the unit and pressed on the fan housing!

It's a terrible problem to have and so I wish you a swift and best outcome. A trip to Iowa is a long way, but a much better potential for properly diagnosing and correcting the problem. They have both the expertise and the materials on site.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

JimBob -- Several posters have suggested a trip to the factory. Yes, it is a long way, but the difference between the factory and Camping World is like the difference between a Mercedes and a Yugo. The factory will take your problem seriously, find the cause, and fix it. In my experience, if they determine that your problem is the result of a manufacturing defect, they will absorb the cost, even though the warranty has run out.
You have a lot of money invested in this coach -- but how much can you get for it now? Who would buy your coach with a history of leaks all the time?
So, I suggest running the dehumidifier all the time (that was a good idea to try) and making an appointment with the factory and investing the time to get it right.
Good luck - can't be much fun to have a new coach with a serious problem and be blown off by Camping World.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

trip to the factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
JimBob -- Several posters have suggested a trip to the factory. Yes, it is a long way, but the difference between the factory and Camping World is like the difference between a Mercedes and a Yugo. The factory will take your problem seriously, find the cause, and fix it. In my experience, if they determine that your problem is the result of a manufacturing defect, they will absorb the cost, even though the warranty has run out.
You have a lot of money invested in this coach -- but how much can you get for it now? Who would buy your coach with a history of leaks all the time?
So, I suggest running the dehumidifier all the time (that was a good idea to try) and making an appointment with the factory and investing the time to get it right.
Good luck - can't be much fun to have a new coach with a serious problem and be blown off by Camping World.
I am presently dealing with the Regional Service Rep for Winnebago and he is trying to help get the problem fixed once and for all at Camping World. I am going to give Camping World one more try to fix the water leak and then in the spring I will make a trip to Forrest City if the problem is not resolved. I have been keeping a record of each time I have seen a leak (every time it rains) and the times Camping World has had it in the service bay to fix it. My way of thinking is if it has never been fixed from the time of delivery, then the one year warranty has not taken effect. I haven't contacted Winnebago customer service yet but with the help of the Regional Service Rep I am dealing with now I feel the factory would welcome a chance to repair what has to be a factory defect. I have had a Winnebago since my first 2000 Itasca Horizon I bought new and we had great service from it. Camping World on the other hand is a sore subject to me. I hope I have something positive to report after this next attempt. Thanks for the support of the members on this forum, Jim
Old 01-30-2016, 05:39 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If Camping World is not resolving the issue why keep going back to them? As the rep if you can take it to an independent and I will lay odds it will be fixed. We have found that CW is not the first choice for repairs.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:46 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
If Camping World is not resolving the issue why keep going back to them? As the rep if you can take it to an independent and I will lay odds it will be fixed. We have found that CW is not the first choice for repairs.

Seems to me that OP is about 6 months late getting to the bottom of this, warranty ran out 6 months ago
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Seems to me that OP is about 6 months late getting to the bottom of this, warranty ran out 6 months ago
So the warranty from Winnebago should read: "We will work on your problem for the period of one year from the date of purchase and if it is not solved in that period you are on your own"

There are folks that just like to complain and nobody wants to hear it, including myself. However in the interest of others learning from my experiences I am willing to take my time to share.

I have learned a lot from reading this forum over the years and I hope others can use any information I post. Have a blessed day, Jim
Old 01-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

rream,

Why do you think that Winnebago is not still warranting this problem. With the Regional rep working with the OP I think they are stepping up to the plate with the water leak.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:21 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

misunderstood about Winnebago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
rream,

Why do you think that Winnebago is not still warranting this problem. With the Regional rep working with the OP I think they are stepping up to the plate with the water leak.
Sue46 you are right that Winnebago is stepping up to the plate.

I have no complaint with the service they offer their customers. I have had many e-mail and phone conversations with this Regional Service Rep and have nothing but praise for the time and effort he has spent with me. The repairs on the other hand is where the problem is.
The question was asked Why keep going to Camping World, well they are the dealer I bought from and they are the company responsible to preform the warranty work. I have the extended warranty through them too. If I can just find one location with a service department that has the staff to do the work properly. With the help of Winnebago I am trying one more time to see if this next Camping World location can get it right this time.

I hope this clears up the misunderstanding about Winnebago and their customer service, Have a blessed Day, Jim
Old 01-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago will resolve your issues, when we had a slide problem they found an independent dealer that fixed the issue. They repainted the front and side of our last coach when it was 3 years old. (a Journey)We had a leak that our very good dealer couldn't find with a pressure test, that was in 2000,(Adventurer) and we took it to the factory and they fixed it on the second try.

We had small things done at 2 different Camping Worlds and they screwed both up. (Dish fell off roof ,not installed correctly) told me no one made awnings in the size we wanted, ordered them elsewhere, then they almost installed them wrong but DH was on hand to stop them.)

Our last three rigs were Winnebagos so am sure they will work with you. Let us know how everything works out and have them test for rot and mold. Good Luck
Old 02-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

2014 Meridian When it Rains water gets inside coach

Just a suggestion since you said one leak was near the front and dripping on the front dash. Did they check around all outside light fixtures for proper seals? Do you have a satellite on the top of the roof that was installed? Have you checked the dish mount for proper sealing at the base or possibly a cable crimped in between the base and roof preventing a proper seal?
We had a similar issue and found these were the culprits.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

pressure test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Snake View Post
Just a suggestion since you said one leak was near the front and dripping on the front dash. Did they check around all outside light fixtures for proper seals? Do you have a satellite on the top of the roof that was installed? Have you checked the dish mount for proper sealing at the base or possibly a cable crimped in between the base and roof preventing a proper seal?
We had a similar issue and found these were the culprits.
Had a pressure test done in December and found a leak around the top marker light over the drivers side along with 3 other places. It was supposed to be fixed and then 4 weeks later we had all the water problem again, same place. I am taking it in again on the 11th to leave it again to be checked out. Wish me luck!
Old 02-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #18
srh
Winnebago Camper

While a leak of this kind is hard to find, nonetheless it is not impossible. I had my windshield replaced in a 2005 Essex. Shortly after, occasionally I would see a drop or two of water dripping on my dash. I thought for sure the water was coming from around the replaced windshield. I called the glass company they said to bring it back they will look at it. They checked the windshield from inside and outside and said it wasn't coming from around the windshield. Two guys got on the roof with a water hose after about 20 minutes they discovered that the water was getting in from where my air horn was attached to the roof. I caulked around the air horn and my leak stopped. I'm wondering if something like this could be done in your case to find the leak?
Good Luck OP!
Old 02-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

One thing you might do is check RVServiceReviews.com and check for 3-4 'good' reviews of Camping World service in an ever widening radius from your home base. Then take it to them. It may be hard to find a good one though.

Good luck, sorry for your problems. Leaks are the worst.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water