Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2006 Itasca Sunova 26P Shower goes hot and cold, hot and cold alternating

The shower in our MH, all of a sudden, alternates between hot and cold, back and forth. It does not do this when the shower head is removed or when running both hot and cold water in the sinks. Also there is a buzzing noise from the hot water heater when running hot water. I have heard this could be the check valve. I wonder if the check valve is also responsible for the alternating shower water. Anyone have any experience with this?
GPanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
Site Team

I don’t know if this applies, but I’ve heard from others if the outside shower faucet is open even a little that it will cause this or something like it.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, but I already checked that and its tightly closed off. I am pretty sure its a clogged check valve on the HW heater. Just have to figure out how to get the dam thing off. Its in a really tight spot, tough to get at, not to mention get a new one back on.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Is it an Atwood HWH and have you used to the pressure relief valve to ensure there's a sufficient "air gap" in the tank?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We have a similar problem in our Sunstar. I have found via experimentation, that turning on bit the hot and colt faucets only about a quarter turn evens out the temperature with still enough flow for a shower.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I have made sure there is an air gap at the top of tank. I just got the check valve out and will replace it and hopefully that will help.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I made sure there is an air gap at the top of tank. thanks.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem with my Sunstar 35F. Only happens when we are dry camping using the water pump only. We have normal operations at a camp ground using external water source.
Geneb1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I replaced the HW check valve, which was not easy due to awful location way under the sink. It stopped the buzzing noise but still have the problem with the shower temp fluctuating. I ordered an Oxygenics shower head and I am hoping that will keep the shower temp consistent. If not, I may try getting a new water pump and if that doesn't do it, then at least I have a spare.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneb1737 View Post
I have the same problem with my Sunstar 35F. Only happens when we are dry camping using the water pump only. We have normal operations at a camp ground using external water source.
The pressure is consistent with external water source. I noticed the water pump pulses differently when cold water alone is on, than when hot and cold are both on, in the shower only, not at the sink.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
Is it an Atwood HWH and have you used to the pressure relief valve to ensure there's a sufficient "air gap" in the tank?
Yes Atwood HW and I did make sure the air gap was at top of tank.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have the same pulsating cold-hot issue when on the water pump. Winnebago factory tech said to adjust the pressure switch on the pump head by turning the screw slightly. My pump is tough to access because it's under the bed mattress. So all I do is just turn the hot on about a half turn and then adjust with the cold...works fine with no pulsating hot-cold anymore.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I have the same pulsating cold-hot issue when on the water pump. Winnebago factory tech said to adjust the pressure switch on the pump head by turning the screw slightly. My pump is tough to access because it's under the bed mattress. So all I do is just turn the hot on about a half turn and then adjust with the cold...works fine with no pulsating hot-cold anymore.
I think this was it. I adjusted the pressure on the shureflo pump by turning it 1/4 turn clockwise and now the pump runs consistently while showering and the temperature stays just right. Thanks for this.

Tags
shower, itasca