Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Looking at this plumbing diagram;

www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2003/03_q40e_plumb.pdf

It appears to look like only the shower drains into the gray tank. Looks like both sinks(no w/d) drain into the black along with toilet. Am I reading this right?

We Always have way more black than gray water. On short outing w/o the shower in use we are pretty much empty. This would sure explain things. But, does it make sense to be plumbed this way? I would think at least the vanity sink could be considered gray.

Gonna have to start doing dishes in the shower.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Looking at this plumbing diagram;

www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2003/03_q40e_plumb.pdf

It appears to look like only the shower drains into the gray tank. Looks like both sinks(no w/d) drain into the black along with toilet. Am I reading this right?

We Always have way more black than gray water. On short outing w/o the shower in use we are pretty much empty. This would sure explain things. But, does it make sense to be plumbed this way? I would think at least the vanity sink could be considered gray.

Gonna have to start doing dishes in the shower.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Our MH is plumbed the way you describe. I would guess that the reason is that the black tank requires a fair amount of water to keep solids suspended so they will flush. At least that is a possibility. The other is that is was simply easier to plumb this way, which is very likely given the idea of saving a dollar or two. We always fill the grey tank first, but it is also easier to find a place to dump if the nead arises.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

McDuff

The plumbing diagrams are pretty hard to read, so I can't tell you where to look to see it, but I am nearly 100% sure that on my '03 UA 40e, the commode and bathroom/vanity sink go to the black tank (absolutely sure on those ...wife has failed to completely turn off water in the vanity a couple of times!), and the shower and galley sink go to the gray tank. I guess the best way to test it out would be to open the gray valve, and run water through the galley sink and see if it comes out. In fact, I may try that just to be sure ...I have a transparent elbow in my dump line so I could easily see the results.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Guys,

Dirk - I would agree on the "whichever is easiest" theory. We'll haveto figure out a way to equalize the tank usage.

Paul - You're right, the diagrams are a bear to figure out. You may be right about the galley sink, they kinda hide the connection for that in the diagram. If you happen to try the experiment, that'd be great. Otherwise I wll try when I get the chance and let you know.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

On my 04 40E the kitchen sink, shower, and washer empty in the grey. The toilet and bedroom sink go to the black. I was told that having the lavatory empty into the black tank is better in that it helps keep the solids suspended.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On our 02 UA,,,the toilet and the bathroom lavatory empty into the black tank,,,the shower, washer and kitchen sink empty into the gray tank.

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote