Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

With my forward galley the designers elected to install two grey tanks. The forward galley tank is the smallest and has become our limiting item for dumping because just doing a couple days of dishes efficiently will tend to fill it.

I sure would like to find an easy way to transfer that grey water to the other grey tank or the black tank. Has anyone found a bullet proof solution to this problem? One of the guys at my dealership said there is a check valve in the outlet piping of the grey tanks to prevent backflow. I haven't found it yet on the schematics and wonder if he was just trying to discourage me from doing some re-engineering. Do you know where such a check valve would be located?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

With my forward galley the designers elected to install two grey tanks. The forward galley tank is the smallest and has become our limiting item for dumping because just doing a couple days of dishes efficiently will tend to fill it.

I sure would like to find an easy way to transfer that grey water to the other grey tank or the black tank. Has anyone found a bullet proof solution to this problem? One of the guys at my dealership said there is a check valve in the outlet piping of the grey tanks to prevent backflow. I haven't found it yet on the schematics and wonder if he was just trying to discourage me from doing some re-engineering. Do you know where such a check valve would be located?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

This post offers a good solution Pump Grey Water to Black Water Tank
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thx a bunch John. That's the thread I needed and sounds like a eloquently simple solution
Old 07-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

and if you are concerned about plugging up the backwash mechanism with the grey tank effluent ... you could always use a couple of hose washer strainers ...

Hose Strainers

The picture is from E-Bay ... I'm sure you can buy these at your local ACE or True-Value Hardware store
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I put together a pump package that can transfer from the gray to the black and have found it handy a few times. Works great!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I looked at your plumbing diagrams online.

If you install a slide valve between your drain hose and your outlet you'll then be able to leave both gray tank valves open. Thus gray water will be able to pass between the two gray tanks.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Paul ...

This gizmo should do what Tom suggested ...

Sewer Gizmo
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
Paul ...

This gizmo should do what Tom suggested ...

Sewer Gizmo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At only $15.95 one of these would come in handy as an emergency fix if one of the stock valves failed.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

we've used the sewer gizmo extra slide valve for a couple years now as our grey water tank would fill up in a hurry- think showers- and our black water tank wouldn't even be 1/4 full. The gizmo works great, I wait until our grey water is almost full and then open the black and grey tank valves while leaving the extra valve closed. I can hear the grey water flowing over to the black tank and we have another couple days before we have to dump our tanks. I also do this procedure while dumping as it helps flush out the black water tank. It was an easy way to "increase" our grey water tank capacity without having to do any fancy plumbing. And it was very inexpensive to do with a great payback in use.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote