Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

10 gal hot water AC/propane? heater

HI..i have winnie journey dl 2001.. 10 gal water heater.. on the black cover of the water heater it says"behind this is ???? is 110vac". the water heater has not AC switch? the gch10a-3e water heater? says it is AC or Propane. it always starts the propane heater part when I push the switch "ON" at the control console inside.

How do you test if it has 110vac heating? when connected to 30amp or 50amp house power!?

i cant close the propane 1 psi valve if i need furnace or refrigerator to use propane? so i dont see any way to tell if it uses 110vac? the element inside the water heater maybe burned out? but i cant find that to test with ohm meter .

joe
joeastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

joeastro There is a switch on the wall next to the engine heater switch that controls the AC to the Hot Water. The push button at the control center is for gas to the water heater only.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

switch for AC to water heater? location?

HI>>>

oky you say there is a switch? that switch is not on the standard control pannel
in the kitchen pop out wall...that switch does do propane start up..

if i go to the Laundry area.. across from the bathroom sink.. there is a panel
that opens with 110vac plugs and some switches???? i have removed
the freeze out solenoids that are down in the water pipe area.. they were all
rusted out...

but you say there is a button or switchd that may turn on the water AC 110vac..??
ok.. i will go look tomorrow.

thanks
joe..
joeastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeastro View Post
HI>>>

oky you say there is a switch? that switch is not on the standard control pannel
in the kitchen pop out wall...that switch does do propane start up..

if i go to the Laundry area.. across from the bathroom sink.. there is a panel
that opens with 110vac plugs and some switches???? i have removed
the freeze out solenoids that are down in the water pipe area.. they were all
rusted out...

but you say there is a button or switchd that may turn on the water AC 110vac..??
ok.. i will go look tomorrow.

thanks
joe..
the switch on my 02 Journey is in that location and looks just like a wall light switch. Mine has two in that location, one is for the engine heater (top one) and the other is the 110v water heater. This is behind the door above the washer/dryer cabinet across from the shower.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinrvers View Post
the switch on my 02 Journey is in that location and looks just like a wall light switch. Mine has two in that location, one is for the engine heater (top one) and the other is the 110v water heater. This is behind the door above the washer/dryer cabinet across from the shower.

This is the same as my Journey 02. I would say a reasonable test is to use the shower for a longer than normal time and see if the propane heater kicks on while you are plugged into shore power. If you are on 30A the amps panel sholud indicate. However, if it does not go to Harbor Freight and buy one of those clip on amperage monitors ans see what happens if you use the shower.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

On my 2001 Journey there are three heat sources on the water heater. Source #1 is from a heat exchanger using the engine cooling system will going down the road. Source #2 is propane and controlled by a switch on the main control center under the pump switch. Source #3 is 110 volt A/C controlled by a switch over the washer dryer cabinet.
Not sure why the put the wiring and thermal limit switches on the back and in a little hand hole but that’s engineers for you. I cut the back of the of the cabinet out for access and fashioned a sheet metal cover secured by a self tapping screw for next time.
Good luck and turn the power off before reaching in there.
Macland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, propane, water