Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

XM Radio Antenna

Well, I finally got all of our "STUFF" from the 5'er into the MH this weekend....

The next project that I'm thinking of is installing my SkyFi XM radio. The power wiring and the integration into the current radio will not be a problem. I need to know how you guys have installed the antenna. I have found the way to route the wiring from the front cap down to the dash, but not sure how to secure the actual antenna to the roof. Do you use some sort of epoxy to "glue" the antenna to the fiberglass, or do you epoxy a piece of metal to the roof and use the magnet on the antenna to secure it? On my coach, the radio antenna is mounted in the center of the front cap. I plan on routing the XM antenna wire along the same path.

Thanks in advance for the advice....

Duane
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Duane;

I installed a Sirius radio in my rig last year. The radio came with one of their magnetic antennas. Just for simplicity, I put the antenna in one of the overhead compartments on the passenger side (since the front cap is fiberglass). I ran the wire down the A pillar to conceal it.

We have been all over the U.S. with it and never lost signal. So, you might want to save time and forego drilling holes in your rig and try placing it inside.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hey that's awesome! I'm one for not having to add another entry point for water intrusion.... I will give that a try.

Thanks again!!

Duane
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I use a XM home antenna in my Brave. Just sitting on the dash. Sometimes I have to turn it to pick up a signal but it works fo me.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

To be assured of a signal, it is best to mount on the roof. If you have roof top air conditioners they will cause a shadow when driving certain directions. I went from North Dakota all the way to Arizona with out a problem with it on the metal plate above the passenger seat. When we started north we had intermittent problems. A friend of mine with a Journey found the same thing and he doesn't have roof top AC. I bought a marine XM antenna and mounted it on the roof and haven't had a problem since. In my Jeep I tried mounting it on top of the Sound Bar. Had interference from things on the horizon. Got a 8 x 12" piece of 16 ga sheet metal at Menards and tie wrapped that to the Sound Bar, then put the magnetic antenna on that. It works great now. The friend with the Journey we mounted a 12 x 12" piece of sheet metal on the roof. We just used Dicor sealant. We used a TV coax entry device to weather proof the coax entry thru the roof.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
TBI
Winnebago Camper

I went the same route as smlranger only mine is on the drivers side. The shevles are metal. I just removed the top cover, inside the compartment, three screws and stuck it on top of the shelf. I also have a amateur radio antenna, rubber duck, on a mag mount there also.
TBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I got real lazy. I mounted the antenna in the middle of the dash, right up against the window. It works, but heading North is a direction the antenna does not like. I'm thinking of moving it to the roof and I'll use the 3M automotive trim tape (double sided)
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I'm real intrigued by mounting the antenna inside and above the cabinets over the driver and passenger seats, basically above the windshield. I have pulled one of the inside side covers where I can see the inside of the fiberglass cap. I guess what I hearing, or reading, is that the antenna should be able to "see" the satellite through the fiberglass??

I really don't want to drill a hole in the fiberglass if at all possible....
Old 10-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneMiller View Post
I'm real intrigued by mounting the antenna inside and above the cabinets over the driver and passenger seats, basically above the windshield. I have pulled one of the inside side covers where I can see the inside of the fiberglass cap. I guess what I hearing, or reading, is that the antenna should be able to "see" the satellite through the fiberglass??

I really don't want to drill a hole in the fiberglass if at all possible....
While it is true that it works thru the fiberglass, a problem is anything that can block the signal horizontally, such as satellite TV receiver, DVD/VCR, metal framing around the passenger and drivers compartment. The satellites are rather low on the horizon from the northern parts of the country. It is best to get it above anything that can cause a shadow. You can use a Winegard CE-1000 weatherproof entry plate for the coax. This is an easy to install device to make it weatherproof.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Duane;

I installed a Sirius radio in my rig last year. The radio came with one of their magnetic antennas. Just for simplicity, I put the antenna in one of the overhead compartments on the passenger side (since the front cap is fiberglass). I ran the wire down the A pillar to conceal it.

We have been all over the U.S. with it and never lost signal. So, you might want to save time and forego drilling holes in your rig and try placing it inside.
Wonder if I just take off the plastic cap on the antenna and place it under the fiberglass in the cabinet. Don't need the weather proofing of the plastic cap if it's going to remain inside the coach!?
luckymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymick View Post
Wonder if I just take off the plastic cap on the antenna and place it under the fiberglass in the cabinet. Don't need the weather proofing of the plastic cap if it's going to remain inside the coach!?

My little Sirius antenna has no cap. It is just a small disk with a magnetic base so it 'sticks' well to the metal shelf in the compartment next to the TV near the windshield. While others have said it is better to put the antenna outside, we traveled as far north as Minnesota, then into the West and back with never a loss of signal. Try it.....you have nothing to lose and it may keep you from drilling holes in the roof.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

smlranger:

I can confirm: I just installed Sirius yesterday in my Meridian. I place the antenna in the driver's side compartment (pulling the header board off above the top most shelf and reinstalling when complete) next to the TV.

I stuck the magnet to one of the steel cross beams. The antenna sits right under the fiberglass cap/spray on insulation.

I drove the rv for about 20 minutes - all directions (N, S, E ,W) and had full signal in all directions. Even worked under a gas station canopy when filling up w/ diesel.

Ran the cable down the driver's side pillar to the dash. behind the dash, over to the radio to a Sirius SCC1 receiver. Connected the SCC1 to Kenwood KCA SR50 to a mp638u head unit. Sound is awesome!

One question: I'm only receiving sound through my home theater system. Not getting sound out of the two car speakers behind the cloth in the cabinetry. Any suggestions? Anyone?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
smlranger:

I can confirm: I just installed Sirius yesterday in my Meridian. I place the antenna in the driver's side compartment (pulling the header board off above the top most shelf and reinstalling when complete) next to the TV.

I stuck the magnet to one of the steel cross beams. The antenna sits right under the fiberglass cap/spray on insulation.

I drove the rv for about 20 minutes - all directions (N, S, E ,W) and had full signal in all directions. Even worked under a gas station canopy when filling up w/ diesel.

Ran the cable down the driver's side pillar to the dash. behind the dash, over to the radio to a Sirius SCC1 receiver. Connected the SCC1 to Kenwood KCA SR50 to a mp638u head unit. Sound is awesome!

One question: I'm only receiving sound through my home theater system. Not getting sound out of the two car speakers behind the cloth in the cabinetry. Any suggestions? Anyone?
If you get FM sound out of the dash speakers and you are using the FM modulator there is no reason that it shouldn't come out the dash speakers. Check with an FM station, if that doesn't come out the dash speakers look for a speaker switch.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Just installed my XM MiFy last week in the MH and mounted my XM antennae overhead as SMLRANGER did. I have a portable unit so I transfer it from truck to boat to shop to MH as needed. Taking a trip next weekend so I'll report back as to any reception problems. It works great sitting in the RV Park!! I agree, don't want any more holes in the roof than necessary!!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I have installed both Sirius and XM under the front cap and on the roof with silicone. Both installations seem to work well.

Remember when testing your installation that XM satellites are "fixed" and Sirius satellites are in low orbits so Sirius is constantly changing satellites for reception.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

We did the cabinet thing and it works great from as far north as Maryland and as far south as the Yucatan. I had it on the roof on the previous MH and there is no diff in coverage.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I would go with the inside mount as discussed above. I did not think of it and I did mount mine on the roof --- I used the magnetic base and mounted the antenna on the metal plate that the air horns are mounted on. I have no signal problems with it mounted there. I then ran the wire down the driver's side outside windshield trim and about 2 1/2 inches down there was a hole that allowed me to get inside of the MH. I then ran it on down the driver's side pillar to under the dash and then to the radio. The hole that I used to come inside was already there -- I did fill it with caulk to prevent any moisture from running down the wire and then getting inside the mh.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

John -
Thanks for the reply. No FM modulation though... I'm 100% wired.
I place the magnetic antenna right under my fiberglass cap stuck to one of the steel support beams.
Rand the wire down the driver's side pilllar, under my dash (behind the steering column), across into the compartment that holds the radio. I'm using the SCC1, to SR50 (Kenwood interface) to the Kenwood head-unit.

Us Journey/Meridian owners have 4x6's in the upper side cabinets. Only getting sound form the surround sound speakers not the 4x6's. I know it's not wiring: my Kenwood is wired EXACTLY like the Magnadyne it replaced. Probably missing a switch on the dash or something!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Sirius antenna install in Vectra 40AD

I'm interested in how you removed and reinstalled the header board (roof of the compartment above the windshield). Is it attached with velcro? How much work? Thanks.
Quote:
smlranger:

2004 Vectra 40AD
VectraDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I have a Portable XM radio and I mounted the antenna inside under the cap. There was a piece of sheet metal covering the TV cavity and I just slid it on top of that. Reception is good and we never have a RF problem.
Here is a picture of the cradle installation.
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1808.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1890   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1809.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1891