Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago TV replacement

Hey all this is my first post and I have read and read about replacing old TV's with new flat screen. My problem is I love all that I have seen and read but everyone seems to have the wood frame work around where the old TV was. My Adventure has a plastic frame that I have off snd I have the old 19 inch out but all thats left is the metal insides to hold old TV and some more plastic that hangs down. I have 24 inches exactly between the cabient doors on either side. I want a bigger flat screen than that. So any suggestions on how to go about this upgrade would be appreciated.
LakePeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The flat screen TV will mount on the outside of the enclosure. You will probably have to make a wood frame to attach to the metal part. Then you will have to attach a flat panel mount to the frame work.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had the same issue when replacing the 25" TV in our '03 Brave. I found a 26" LCD which fit behind the plastic trim and between the metal bracing.

The results after a lot of work were a little disappointing. First, a move from a 25" tube to a 26" widescreen "feels" like you went down in screen size. Second, there are gaps at the top and bottom of the TV since I basically put a rectangle into a square hole.

I think I'm going to go with John's recommendation and mount a larger TV (32") in front of the plastic trim. It will still be out of the way while giving a cleaner looking installation. I will move the 26" to the bedroom since it's useless in the DTV world.

Ron
Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Here's my 2 cents.......

I have been reading allot about TV replacements to new LCD's and everyone is putting the new LCD in the hole the old tube TV came out of.

If possible, look for another location in your coach to mount it on the wall, OR even better, to the ceiling with a drop down mount. If this can be done the old cabinet can now be used for storage, just add shelf(s) and door.

I have helped allot of local friends explore this idea, and they found a new world, so, if possible, as said before, think outside the box. (No pun intended)

I have accomplished this in a number of RV's and it has been very rewarding for all.

If I can help, let me know.

David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We replaced our old monster TV with a 32" LCD and it is mounted on a swing arm on the outside of the old enclosure. To get it between the cabinet doors we just cut about 3/4" off each door. Re-stained the cut and looks perfect. We also put a vent in the rear of the old TV compartment and finished off that compartment for storage.

Actually our son did this all in a campground with little to no tools.

Another thing he did was remove the smoked glass front the front cabinet doors and replaced it with expanded metal (like in a screen door for strength) spray painted to match the other metal in the rig. Gave much needed air to the components.

Coach is a Journey 39k
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Just re-read the thread here and we also replaced the TV in the bedroom at the same time we did the front one with a 32" LCD. We have a sink in our bedroom that had a mirror over it which we had replaced with a large medicine cabinet. The TV was in a swing out cabinet in the corner over the washing machine. We removed the medicine cabinet and put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the wall with liquid nails and screws, covered the plywood with wallpaper that matches our wall and framed it with molding. The plywood goes from the ceiling to the counter top and is wide enough for the TV mount. Then mounted the TV on the straight type mount (no swivel, just tilts). That nice BIG cabinet over the washer is now shelved and has the medicine cabinet stuff PLUS a lot more in it.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
Another thing he did was remove the smoked glass front the front cabinet doors and replaced it with expanded metal (like in a screen door for strength) spray painted to match the other metal in the rig. Gave much needed air to the components.

Coach is a Journey 39k
I like this idea a lot. Do IR remotes work when the doors are closed?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Another thing to look for is a LCD with the speakers below the screen vs on the sides of the screen. This allows you to use a larger screen model (I was able to use a 32 inch LCD in front). It also makes the LCD a little "taller" which takes up some of the space below and above the replacement LCD.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Bruceh, no problem with the remotes and the expanded metal.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You might look at this - I replaced mine and here is how I did it. Sorry I did not see your post sooner -
http://www.grossie.net/Michael/TV_in...Adventurer.htm
Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

HERE is a 32" mounted outside the frame. It's floating within this frame, but solidly attached to the steel frame in the back with a heavy-duty wall mount and 1" angle aluminum similar to what Mike has done.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

LakePeople:

Check out this thread. I just finished mounting it last month. Very happy with it, and it works with the surround sound using the TV volume control.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/lcd-t...zel-50550.html
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

As usual there is more than one way to skin a cat. One way is to cut the metal cage back aprox. 8 to 10". You can then build a wood frame wall 2x4" and plywood. With a standard wall mount you will be able to get most 32" Flat screen TV's in. A little wood trim and it looks like the factory did it.
Or any of the previous suggestions will work also...

Good luck
Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Jeff,
I have the exact same coach and I was wondering if you had any problems getting the old TV out. It appears that I have to remove the frame and it looks like it will not come apart very clean. Any ideas would help..
Thanks,
Bill
bmickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmickels View Post
Jeff,
I have the exact same coach and I was wondering if you had any problems getting the old TV out. It appears that I have to remove the frame and it looks like it will not come apart very clean. Any ideas would help..
Thanks,
Bill
Bill: See PM

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

If interested photos of our solution along with other projects at: Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Great mods Terry. That's a very clean conversion. I'm in the planning stage of replacing the front 25" tv in our 04 Sightseer with a 32" LCD. Couldn't I just bolt the mount arm to the metal right side of the enclosure?
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to BubbaJePH Send a message via Yahoo to BubbaJePH
I took out the old TV and took a piece of plywood to fit behind the new HD Digital LCD TV. I got some deck angle hardware and some self drilling screws to mount it to the box the old TV was in. I mounted an LCD TV wall mount to the plywood and the back of the TV. It fits perfectly inside the cabinet. The new models of Winnebago have their TVs outside the cabinet that I just do not like the look. Just wished I could mount the Bose surround sound I have in the coach and hide the wires to look factory.
BubbaJePH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to BubbaJePH Send a message via Yahoo to BubbaJePH
The face comes off the cabinet. Remove the plugs and there are screws under them. There is a bolt / nut over the top of either side of the cabinet. It holds the TV down. Mine also had double back tape to help that bracket keep the TV in place. I took my 5 in 1 painter's tool and ran it between the top of the TV and the bracket. It took a little hammering to cut through the tape. The TV is HEAVY. Be careful.
BubbaJePH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

New to the it. I have a 2005 Adventurer and the front panel has a 'J' shape. I am able to loosen the top so it slides forward but then hangs up when the J portion hits. It seems like it needs to go down but won't move, any suggestions
xrmeav8r is offline   Reply With Quote