Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I plan to get one of the portable Sirius radios to use in the coach. I prefer not to use the FM transmitter function and would like to use a direct audio connection. Before I pull the dash cover, does anyone know if our Winnebago (Magnadyne) radios have any type of auxiliary input jack on the back of the radio?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I plan to get one of the portable Sirius radios to use in the coach. I prefer not to use the FM transmitter function and would like to use a direct audio connection. Before I pull the dash cover, does anyone know if our Winnebago (Magnadyne) radios have any type of auxiliary input jack on the back of the radio?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Gary - my radio did have an aux input which is what I use for XM. Try to cycle your 'mode' switch and see if it has an 'aux' position.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Gary - my radio did have an aux input which is what I use for XM. Try to cycle your 'mode' switch and see if it has an 'aux' position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No such luck John. I have a 'mode' button on the radio but, according to the Ops manual, it only switches between Radio, CD and Cassette functions. There is no mention of AUX input and I cannot visualize the back of the radio. I did get a FM Direct Adaptor with the Sirius radio so I will try connecting that inline with the existing antenna cable.

Obviously, this radio was inserted from the outside of the dash....do you push some sort of small tool into the four openings in the face of these radios to remove them?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

In my 'Owners Bag' there is a tool in with the Radio Info that is used to releive the keepers and enable removal of the radio.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Mine has 2 Aux-Ins. And it has a pre-amp out as well. What's the model#?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
Mine has 2 Aux-Ins. And it has a pre-amp out as well. What's the model#? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure what model #...in 2002 perhaps they did not provide AUX capability. My Voyager radio/CD player in the bedroom has 2 Aux inputs.

I've considered replacing the OEM radio...it has never been a favorite.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The referenced "Tools" are nothing more than 2 pieces of wire loops, supplied in the radio packet.
You would almost think they were some kind of mistake in the plastic bag.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hummm....
Well, there are FM modulators that install in-line to the antenna and can be switched in n' out as needed. They don;t sound too bad and aren't prone to getting stepped on my co-, or adjacent channel local transmitters. The one I put in my Exploder was around $50

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-02-2008, 02:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
Hummm....
Well, there are FM modulators that install in-line to the antenna and can be switched in n' out as needed. They don;t sound too bad and aren't prone to getting stepped on my co-, or adjacent channel local transmitters. The one I put in my Exploder was around $50 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did purchase a $30 Sirius FM Direct Adaptor when I got the Sirius radio in case I needed it. I plan to use it but may still need to remove the radio to get to the antenna connection.

Finding a good location for the little antenna will be the next decision.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
--snip--Finding a good location for the little antenna will be the next decision. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary - if you can tolerate some signal drop-outs, putting it on the dash or in an overhead cabinet close to the fiberglass will work pretty well.

If you plan on traveling in the northern US or Canada, you will need to have it on the roof in the clear due to the lower look-angle angle of the satellite.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

SMLRanger,

The antenna is pretty simple to install on the roof. Mine came installed but I had to change it when the antenna for some reason went bad.

I removed the headliner in the driver's overhead compartment so I could see the mounting and rough work on the left side of the tv. You'll have to drill a hole in the roof, which I didn't have to do. Then get a piece of flexible dowel about 3' long and tape a LONG piece of string to it. I used bright pink contractor's string. Push the end of the dowel with the string attached down in the hole and toward the left front corner of where you imagine the l/r corner of the tv to be.

Go inside and with a mirror look back in there behind the tv. With a coat hanger bent staight with a small hook on one end, fish for the string. Pull the string thru and then pull the antenna wire thru. That is much simpler to do if you tie the string onto the end of the cable and then tape it up so it is smooth and won't be as likely to get hung up.

I ran my cable down the left "A" piller post. Just remove the three or four screws and add it to the collection of cables/wires.

I found it much easier to work up there by just removing the door rather than fight it.

I emphasize use a long piece of string. I got it all fished out freom behind the TV and pulled it too far before I had the antenna cable attached.

The hardest and most time consuming was getting the headliners out and back in and removal and replacement of the door once I figured it out.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

smlranger....I use the magnetic portable antenna that came with my remote receiver and just place it in the compartment over the passenger's front window on top of my DVD player.Strong signal for 2 years...no need to put thru roof....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Gary: If your dash is like mine, there is a flip-out storage thing underneath the radio that, if you remove it can get access to the rear of the radio to at least feel around. Also if you have the Audiovox FRS gang charger, that comes out with 4 screws for full visual access as well.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I've been using my SIRIUS radio in Canada for 3 years without a roof mounted antenna. Just push into a corner of the dash and the reception is fine.

Workhorse Chassis
Norm3206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

OK folks. Thanks for all the suggestions...as usual, this forum and the folks on it are helpful beyond description.

I installed the little portable radio in the coach today. No problem mounting it on top of the dash...easy to see and reach. I ran the cable for the antenna down under the dash cover, across the flat portion of the dash to the center pillar. I hid the wire under the plastic trim on the pillar, ran it into the rear of the TV compartment and over to the right overhead. I placed the magnetic antenna on the metal shelf in that compartment as far forward as I could get it. I found the coach radio antenna wire connected to a small metal cube near the back-up monitor...some sort of signal amplifier???....I installed the Sirius FM Direct gizmo at that point.

We took a little coach exercise/shopping trip today and the radio works fantastic..strong signal, no static, excellent sound quality. I always had 3 signal bars no matter which direction I was headed. Will be interesting to see if I lose the signal when headed dead north farther north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

It'll probably do OK. XM Satellites are Geosynchronous across the equator, where Sirus are in a figure '8' pattern (I should know the proper name..), so they don't suffer from shadowing to the south, anthough come with other issues at times.
Here is a cute little page the splains' the two better than I.

Jeff - WA6EQU