Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hi all- I was wondering if any of you Winnie owners have heard of a user friendly radio that was put out by Winnie a couple of years ago. My current radio is nice with all the speakers,but I hate the miniturizing of the face plate which makes it necessary to use a pencil to hit the buttons. If you have any info on what brand or model and opinions on them I would like to hear about it. Thank You
jcarew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Hi all- I was wondering if any of you Winnie owners have heard of a user friendly radio that was put out by Winnie a couple of years ago. My current radio is nice with all the speakers,but I hate the miniturizing of the face plate which makes it necessary to use a pencil to hit the buttons. If you have any info on what brand or model and opinions on them I would like to hear about it. Thank You
jcarew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have one in my rig. Its called the "RV Radio".
The new models have a detachable remote control on the steering wheel. The radio I have has a CD and a cassette. I find the radio OK but nothing special.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have the winnie radio in my 03 Journey, I like the features, But it is not reliable. It skips easily on potholes or bumps and sometimes won't play cds. I had planned on replacing it with a 6-cd player like ford/gm put in, but a tripto a car stereo dealer has changed my mind. Very unreliable according to them. If you are interested in the winnie radio, it is manufactured by Magnadyne. Do an ebay search and you will find a place that sells them on-line. My model has cd, radio and weather radio, it sells for $299. They have a a model that has come out with satellite radiohookup, But several posts here have been on problems getting that feature to work. Do a search here for that info. Hope this helps some. Bob
rebrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have a "Voyager" am/fm CD radio in our bedroom. It is ok. We like the dash "Visteon" am/fm 6-CD changer very much except for the very poor AM reception.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:12 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

jcarew, here's the current Winnie radio:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/html/pro..._feat/rvr.html
I'm not real enchanted with ours; the CD will skip sometimes and the LCD clock display is not so hot. Search and you'll find lotsa other threads on this subject where Winnie owners have swapped this RV Radio out and opted for better units.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:50 AM   #7

We have the RV radio with "user friendly" buttons too. We noticed that sometimes it would "lock up" and not switch to play a CD. I have to get out a pen and stick it in the reset button on the radio and then it works fine...til next time. However, our daughter and son-in-law gave us a Sirius radio for a gift and he is installing it today. My DH likes to listen to classical or oldies when he is driving and we often travel through areas where he can get only country (which is fine with me !) He can listen to that for a while then he starts looking for another station. He is looking forward to having the Sirius in the coach.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

For us, traditional radio (and CD player) has been made irrelevant by XM satellite radio. We have been on the road for five weeks now and it is a joy and pleasure to listen to different genres of music as our whim dictates.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:45 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Our '01 Adventurer had the "old style" radio with the tiny controls and was a big PITA to operate going down the road. New Suncruiser has Winnebago's big button "rv radio" and is more user friendly when moving. However - when traveling, we use only the XM radio. Sattelite radio can't be beat. Whatever music you want is there when and where you want it!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

We just replaced ours with the Sony CBX400 (CXB?)which comes with a wireless remote control. We have wire the stereo outputs from the TV through it and are quite satified with the results. The remote is prety good once you get used to it and it works from one end of our 1995 Vectra 33RQ to the other with no problem. MP3 etc CD complient and only $129. Circuit City mad up the wireing adapter for $10.

Neil
Old 04-08-2006, 05:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

wait a minute,,,,,,,,, we have that radio that troth gave the link to.. personnaly I think its junk. unless they changed it from 2004 to........now
but at the Winnie site it appears to be back lit......Is it, because mine has never been back lit... couple of close calls trying to tune the darn thing...... we cannot see the stations and I havent found a clock in it

just wondering...still looking for a nice rplacement

New Monmouth, NJ
WALLY NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:50 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Wally, mine is backlit and the clock "appears" where the digital frequency appears as well...

I agree with John Canfield, one of the biggest mistakes I made when I ordered my coach was NOT getting the Sirius option....

A temporary fix for me is going to be playing the XM radio channels through the Directv Satellite tuner.

HERE is a recent radio forum as well....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:55 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

RV RADIO showing clock....(not backlit as radio is off.)

Old 04-08-2006, 06:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Bob -- the radio in your pic is the same radio I have and it is Sirius ready. If you did not get the Sirius option check to see what it would cost for the module. It plugs into the back of the radio.

Sirius / XM - I don't care but I will never be without one on the road again.

Off topic - what is that on top of your dash?

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Adrian,it's the screen for the Alpine GPS.....only think is I'm thinking it should be pointed toward the passenger as I can "see" the GPS feed in the rear cam screen on Channel 2.
While not the "best" place for it,that's about the only place for it.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:33 AM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdrianLee:
Bob -- the radio in your pic is the same radio I have and it is Sirius ready. If you did not get the Sirius option check to see what it would cost for the module. It plugs into the back of the radio.

Sirius / XM - I don't care but I will never be without one on the road again.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to inquire as to whether they can add the module in Forest City when I am there,as the antenna wire has to be run as well.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can "see" the GPS feed in the rear cam screen on Channel 2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob

Interesting! I have the Alpine GPS on my '03 Ultimate ...can't see the display on my backup screen. When I change input channels nothing is there. Guess I could see if I could add a cable and get it on the backup cam screen, but my backup monitor is B&W rather than color so it may not look too good...
Old 07-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Cruthfield.com recommends replacing the 1.5DIN radio with a double-din unit. This means enlarging the opening a little taller. Kenwood makes a nice looking one that uses the sleeve mounting system. Just have to connect the wires properly. It is cheaper that buying the "special" RV-radio ($315+s/h)...
Old 07-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

OK, OK. I have the RV Radio and added XM which plays thru the radio on FM freq 89.7. Works great.

But AM reception is the pits (lousy antenna system), & I'm an AM listener of talk shows, which are not yet in abundance on FM or Sat radio.

My RV Radio has the Cassette Tape option, which I now use while camped & AM reception on the RV Radio antenna is zilch. So I use a portable battery operated radio that receives ok (when I find a good spot); and hook it up to a Radio Shack cassette adapter (w/extension cord) plugged into the Headset output of the portable radio. Use the "Tape" function; works jes fine.

Another use of the adapter is to listen to computer down-loaded programs, like Kim Komando, while driving (& using DeLorme GPS).

Bottom line: I like my version of the RV Radio.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote