Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba1106 View Post
thanks I will check again when it is light out but I cannot seem to "tilt" my screen out. I don't want to force it so maybe just too dumb to get it. Like I said I will wait until the weekend when i can take my time and do it in the light. Thanks again to those that answered
You can hit the eject button to load a CD/DVD, and that will tilt it out momentarily, or go into the settings and you can adjust the tilt (and it will stay where you set it). Think there are about 4 settings from flush to full out.

Cliff
Old 11-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Very timely posting. I read it and went out to get my card and the radio showed the message that the map info is older than a year for the first time. My computer (tried 2) will not read the files on the micro SD card (in a SD adapter) but the card shows it is 4G. My river park radio is a XSG2NA-X1S with the card easily accessible on the right front under a small cover.

Here's my problem - when I try to install RM Dock, I get a message that I must have the device connected to complete the installation. What device? I have the SD card connected (via a USB adapter). Do I need to somehow connect the radio?

Thanks,

Norman
neschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neschultz View Post
... when I try to install RM Dock, I get a message that I must have the device connected to complete the installation. What device? I have the SD card connected (via a USB adapter). Do I need to somehow connect the radio?

Thanks,

Norman
Norman,

I get that same message, but when the card is plugged into a card reader it treats it as the "device" and runs and installs the updates.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Rusty,
Help me understand the process. Does the download.... download to the pc and then try to copy to the SD?? Do you just delete files or programs from the download to get the size small enough to load onto the SD??
It seems strange they would sell an update that cannot be downloaded onto their own SD?? Also, someone said they dropped Canada and Mexico but didn't think the download included Mexico??
Thanks for any info.
>> Dennis
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I got RM Dock installed and the program and maps updated last night by removing the card from the USB reader and installing it directly into my windows tablet.

RM Dock installs and runs on a computer. After installing it, the first thing RM Dock wanted was my name and email to register. Then I signed up for lifetime map updates (no mention of $$$$s). Then I updated both the program and the maps (separately) by downloading new files and then transferring them to the GPS Card.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I got RM Dock installed and the program and maps updated last night by removing the card from the USB reader and installing it directly into my windows tablet.

RM Dock installs and runs on a computer. After installing it, the first thing RM Dock wanted was my name and email to register. Then I signed up for lifetime map updates (no mention of $$$$s). Then I updated both the program and the maps (separately) by downloading new files and then transferring them to the GPS Card.
I think you have the new Rand McNally system and lifetime maps included. Please verify this for me.

When I looked at the support site and browsed the different RV systems I see little change in the "settings" or the look of the touch screen. For some reason the older systems seem to have data heavy maps that don't fit on the card. I don't understand why the old maps are not just overwritten with new data. I do hope RiverParks gives us a solution better than what we are now experiencing.

As far as reading the SD card goes, I simply plug it into my SD card slot on my laptop. I am using Windows 8.1 OS. It sees it as a removable devise. I simply double click it and a window opens with the list of file folders in the SD. I am not savvy enough to know what I can delete without destroying access to my program.

This is a case of 'misery enjoys company'.

Rick Y
Old 11-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Rusty,
Help me understand the process. Does the download.... download to the pc and then try to copy to the SD?? Do you just delete files or programs from the download to get the size small enough to load onto the SD??
It seems strange they would sell an update that cannot be downloaded onto their own SD?? Also, someone said they dropped Canada and Mexico but didn't think the download included Mexico??
Thanks for any info.
>> Dennis

Dennis, my card is NAV CARD V1.0. Apparently it was originally loaded with maps of North America, including Canada and Mexico. When I paid for and downloaded updated maps, I used the PC Downloading Toolbox at Naviextras.com. I assume there may be another toolbox for Apple. This allowed me to update the geographic areas I wanted. It also gave an option to download 3D maps. To make room on the card, I deleted Canada and Mexico. That still did not provide enough space to update all CONUS. So, I only updated NE, East and South. That doesn't mean I no longer have the rest of CONUS, it is just that they exist in their original, outdated version. I didn't even consider 3D in any fashion. I paid for all the updates, so they still exist in my toolbox, as does Canada, Mexico and any other item I may have deleted. I can go in there at any time, delete the updates I did and add new updates as needed and/or add back things that I deleted, e.g. I am heading to NW US and Canada. This is the process as I understand it and as I have confirmed with Riverpark. Hope this explains it a little better. If anyone needs help with this, Josh Larson at Riverpark was helpful to me. He prefers email, [email protected].

Hey Rick, just kidding on getting a new RV. we just recently returned from a 13,000 mile trip to AK and back and aside from a loosened shock and a rear driver's side air bag replacement, the rig performed flawlessly. Also did have to swing by RV Glass Solutions in Coburg, OR for a new windshield.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Rick,

I believe it is a new Rand McNally system. River Park lists it as a XS90111C model but as you go thru those pages, you see info on a RM XSG2NA. When the program 1st came up, it said I did not have lifetime map updates but after registration, it let me sign up for them....... no mention of cost.
The card worked fine when I plugged it into my Windows Surface (8.1) directly...but not thru my USB card reader. It did overwrite existing files as it updated.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I too have the same problem with my SD card. Just came back from the maiden voyage with my Reyo and the Nav did just fine, however, I cannot update using the dock on my Mac.

I find the Navigation a bit difficult to get used to but after a while the partner and myself were able to do ok.
It did seem to lose the route when we powered down for fuel.
Does anyone else have this problem or are we just doing something incorrect?
Rbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Hey RBK394, you interested in sharing info on your AK trip? I'm going next June for about 3 months. Have little plans, would love your suggestions.
Bob
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick,

I believe it is a new Rand McNally system. River Park lists it as a XS90111C model but as you go thru those pages, you see info on a RM XSG2NA. When the program 1st came up, it said I did not have lifetime map updates but after registration, it let me sign up for them....... no mention of cost.
The card worked fine when I plugged it into my Windows Surface (8.1) directly...but not thru my USB card reader. It did overwrite existing files as it updated.
RM is what I understood for the later GPS maps. I am not certain what mine would be considered by popular brand name, if any. I do find their site a bit hard to navigate or understand clearly. I don't like guessing that I am in the right place or doing the correct thing when it comes to programs and data.

I have recently started experimenting with programing my rv GPS. I have been using Streets and Trips for years and the change is not going smooth for me. I guess I like the big screen. S & T is not great but it works for the most part. Because of this I am not certain I want to experiment with the RiverParks system by paying for updates.

What you are doing to preserve your data seems a bit risky. I hope you have a couple of backups just in case. Besides that, I don't recall my files being marked clearly as to which file was which area. Again, I am not a good guesser.

With all this said, how do you like the performance of your system?

A side note: My daughter lives in Elkridge. I couldn't find a RV park in any reasonable distance from her home. My 40'er kind of dominated her street.

Rick Y
Old 11-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I backed up the existing files first (via RM Dock). The SD card is 4 GB. I cannot discern any association between file names and function or map location.

We both like the performance and especially like the feature that tells us the current speed limit, warns you before it lowers, and warns you if you exceed a (settable) amount over the speed limit. Directions so far have been accurate. It did take us down one short windy road in the VA mountains, where the Waltons was filmed) that I'm glad we didn't meet anyone else coming from the other direction.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I backed up the existing files first (via RM Dock). The SD card is 4 GB. I cannot discern any association between file names and function or map location.

We both like the performance and especially like the feature that tells us the current speed limit, warns you before it lowers, and warns you if you exceed a (settable) amount over the speed limit. Directions so far have been accurate. It did take us down one short windy road in the VA mountains, where the Waltons was filmed) that I'm glad we didn't meet anyone else coming from the other direction.
I did take another look at my card. I opened the file folders and found the map names. Each state is represented.

My first time RVing in VA taught me the meaning of "rolling hills of Virginia". If you did find a flat spot Gog didn't put it there.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
Hey RBK394, you interested in sharing info on your AK trip? I'm going next June for about 3 months. Have little plans, would love your suggestions.
Bob
Bob, please check your email. Rusty
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

By deleting the other than "eng" folders and "Removing" Canada and Western Europe I was able to expand my free space to 2.25G. I did this as an experiment.

Does anyone know if the update state maps are replacements for what is there now or additions to that data? If the updates are replacements then there should be enough room the way I did it. Look forward to your input.

Rick Y
Old 11-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #36
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

Do I have to update maps on a 2014 Adventurer?

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

Do I have to update maps on a 2014 Adventurer?

If your GPS was installed before the 2014 1Q (first quarter) updates were released I would say yes. But, I do believe you have lifetime maps. I was reading the update FAQ's last night and the sight detects your status when you go for an update.

For the folks who payed for the quarterly updates, it looks like they got cheated this year because I only see a 1st Q and we in in the 4th Q. I am holding off till Jan before I PAY for mine.

I went back into my SD card last night. I don't see the 2.25G any more but more like 1.9G available. I put a copy of my card data on a flash stick just for safe keeping and when I do the update I will do the same thing.

I think you can look at the properties of your map to see the build date of it. That is only a guess. Let us know what you do and how it goes. I just don't understand why this GPS system is so limited. Technology has come so far.

Tags
gps, winnebago