Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Which one?

Going crazy reading about all of these Garmin GPS units. I see that the RV 770 is made to consider the size of your RV, and has Campgrounds and such on it's list. But for less than a quarter of the price I see the 61 LMT... geeze, even so-called Rebirbished units for under $50! Every review that I have read says that it is a great GPS.

Is it worth the Huge difference in price to get the RV unit?
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have one of the newer RV specific units (660 I think) and like it. It will factor your RV length and weight in when calculating the route. I don’t use the campground feature at all, nor do I use any of the Bluetooth stuff.

I would consider buying one of the tractor trailer GPS units if it does the length/weight as well and was cheaper.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't think it's worth it, but that's just me. I used my brothers Good Sam unit for a couple thousand miles and ended up hating it. And it's a $300 RV specific unit.

Try this one from eBay. It's inexpensive but it has a BUS setting for your RV to dodge low bridges and such. I've used one for a couple years now and it does reroute you when needed. But like all products of this sort, even the Garmin, it can mislead you. The problem I have with it is remembering how it does things from one trip to the next. The low cost will get you something now while you're considering the features of the expensive units.

It will show RV parks as place to crash along with motels and things. I always research my route before travel anyway so seldom have to find a park in a unknown area.

XGody GPS

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I use the Garmin Dezi770LMTHD. It is a truckers version. It is a bit more heavy duty so the dash heat and sun will not do as much damage. You can input your RV size and weight to help with road limit issues. I added camp ground software available on line. Very happy with it.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Well, I found a New Rand McNally RVND 7 for $125... Looked at some You Tube videos on it and it seemed to be OK... If I don't like it... I'll pass it along to one of Grandsons and get something else. At least the Drama is over for now. Should be here in a couple of days, and then we are heading out on a trip... What the hey. Tnx for the feed back.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

So, the RVND 7 arrived. I don't like it. Leaving on a trip in a couple of days so I'll take it along, but I should have just not been a tight wad and got a better one. I found that using the Trip maker software was not what I had hoped either. I want a unit that will direct me to RV friendly Gas stations coming up in my travel area and to local enroute RV overnight parking. With this one I end up having to do all the research ahead of time for such places and then adding them to the POI. Pretty much kills any deviation from the pre-planned trip itinerary. I want one that I can enter expected fuel mileage and have the GPS unit show me near by RV friendly stations on it's own. A unit that connects to the Smart Phone would be preferred.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
I want a unit that will direct me to RV friendly Gas stations coming up in my travel area and to local enroute RV overnight parking. With this one I end up having to do all the research ahead of time for such places and then adding them to the POI. Pretty much kills any deviation from the pre-planned trip itinerary. I want one that I can enter expected fuel mileage and have the GPS unit show me near by RV friendly stations on it's own. A unit that connects to the Smart Phone would be preferred.
Snakebite, what you are looking for doesn’t exist, I’m sorry to say.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Check out the copilot GPS app. You can designate the type of vehicle and dimensions of what you're driving.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Trying to find out more about the copilot app. The website does not tell you which devices an Operating systems it will work with. I also does NOT tell you the cost. Seems like anytime the price is Hidden, it is because they know it is too much!
Old 02-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Trying to find out more about the copilot app. The website does not tell you which devices an Operating systems it will work with. I also does NOT tell you the cost. Seems like anytime the price is Hidden, it is because they know it is too much!
I use the free version (put up with some pop up ads for the trouble). I believe their app is available in android version, but I downloaded it from the Apple store onto an old first gen iPad I have had laying around. The app immediately recognized the old IOS version and adapted perfectly.

Edit: just checked the app and it looks like they want $29.99a year for the premium version. I'll stick with the freebie for now
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Going crazy reading about all of these Garmin GPS units. I see that the RV 770 is made to consider the size of your RV, and has Campgrounds and such on it's list. But for less than a quarter of the price I see the 61 LMT... geeze, even so-called Rebirbished units for under $50! Every review that I have read says that it is a great GPS.

Is it worth the Huge difference in price to get the RV unit?
You get what you pay for. Spend the $$ and get the 770LMT. I have the 760 and love it.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Harming 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
You get what you pay for. Spend the $$ and get the 770LMT. I have the 760 and love it.
We also have the garmin 770 and love it. Yes, it’s pricey but we consider the investment worth it to avoid getting stuck somewhere that we can’t get out of easily. Or worse, damage our unit.

We also research the route and don’t rely on the campground feature or Bluetooth. One of the features I like is the rest area locations. Yes, you could also find these using other sources...but we prefer the garmin.
cjnexpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

What features do you want or need?

The cost difference between them all is at most $250. So what features do you need and what would be nice?
First thing you want is a GPS that doesn't get you lost.
I need to have the vehicle height size and weight included in my trips... there have been a number of times my car took me one way but the bus GPS took the safer longer way.
I need a big screen, hard to see those little toy GPSs when your about to make a turn off a freeway in LA.
Being able to load various files of favorite places. Rand McNally lets you load your own POI like walmarts, Flying J's or almost any other interesting thing like sight seeing locations.
I don't think any GPS will do everything you may want or need, but to find what works when hauling 10's of tons of vehicle into areas that you are not familiar with is worth the money. And then use a mix of other computer tools to make the route the one your want.
Right now I have some weather related ones that tell me where there is snow on the ground so I can decide which way I'm going to go home from Phoenix.
PolarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Go with the regular auto GPS by Garmin

I've worked with many of the GPS units mentioned and feel the best selection is a 6" or 7" Garmin. The normal type you would buy at Costco, Walmart or online. I didn't want to be directed to any of "their" featured gas stations or campgrounds. No thanks, I can find Flying J, Loves, Pilot or other RV friendly stops myself and can look up good campgrounds on "RVParky" or other service. Then I'll just put the address in the Garmin. You usually want to call ahead to the campground anyway.

Just looked on Amazon. A 7" screen Garmin with all the features for $190.
Garmin DriveSmart 61
Old 02-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I use a cheap TomTom and a DW101. The DW101 does all the smart app stuff really well
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

I have the Garmin RV 760LMT as well. I love it. Free lifetime updates, made for RVs, length and weight specific. Shows posted speed limit and your speed, alerts when you go over posted speed. Easy to find, fuel stations, restaurants, rv parks. What really love is photos of upcoming off ramps so you rarely miss you turns. Very happy with this unit.
Soul Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #17
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

I too have the 770LMT, Love it as a good GPS and if you have a "hot spot" giving you WiFi, I really love it then. Look ahead weather, look ahead traffic, "Live" camera shots, especially good at BIG INTERSECTIONS. Lots of nice features, HOWEVER it too DOES NOT give me a list a RV FRIENDLY gas station. If I have concerns, I either call the station ahead of me or Satellite Google it and it shows me the Layout of every Pilot or other gas stations. Like someone said, "Nothing is Perfect".
Joshua 24:15
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #18
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

The Garmin 770LMT has a nice feature of ALLOWING our son or daughter follow our trip, every turn, every stop, etc. ONLY if we allow them too. Nice feature if you are old like us.
Joshua 24:15
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
I agree with DGundy. I have had a 760 for 5 years and I am very happy with it. The 770 is the replacement for the 760. The LMT stands for Lifetime Membership updates. The T stands for Traffic. There is a receiver built in the power cord that in some areas you get a warning on your screen about traffic delays ahead. It will adjust your arrival time based on the estimated time of delay. It will also tell you if you are on the fastest route.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Loved our Rand McNally

Though we no longer need the low clearance, etc. after downsizing to a small Class C, we used the Rand McNally RV-specific model when we had our diesel pusher. Large screen was great. Accuracy was pretty spot on.

We have a new Garmin for our car and will likely just throw it in the trash. If I did not have a map and a phone backup, heaven only knows where we would end up. We cannot get it to update or reinstall software.

We know just use an online trip planner and our iPhone.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote