Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

OK guys, I am kind of a organization nut with things in the MH. All of my outside bins are fitted with slide out trays, shelves, or tool hangers to keep all my stuff easy to find and easy to access.

The one I am scratching my head over is that cabnet over the drivers seat. It's about 6" deep, 8" high, and about 30" long. I have various remotes in there for the tv, stereo and such now, but they are just stuffed in there. Have you guys came up with a good way to utilize that space? Trying to organize the cabnet to make everything accessable is tough. I am trying to avoid just having a bunch of baskets next to each other.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

OK guys, I am kind of a organization nut with things in the MH. All of my outside bins are fitted with slide out trays, shelves, or tool hangers to keep all my stuff easy to find and easy to access.

The one I am scratching my head over is that cabnet over the drivers seat. It's about 6" deep, 8" high, and about 30" long. I have various remotes in there for the tv, stereo and such now, but they are just stuffed in there. Have you guys came up with a good way to utilize that space? Trying to organize the cabnet to make everything accessable is tough. I am trying to avoid just having a bunch of baskets next to each other.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My wife got some of those small plastic baskets for me...I have one behind each of those doors....filled with 'stuff.'
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

I use a combination of the little baskets and clear Sterlite containers with lids...

I got some of them at Target and some of them at Wally's World...

My storage "issue" is the very small cabinet right over the entrance door as you walk in the coach.
It's only a couple inches deep,(about as deep as an iRV2 sticker is tall as that's what is in there...)

Same thing was on my Vectra....shallow cabinet in that space....same as over the driver's side window.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Small lite things that will not hurt when they fall out on your head Rip

Toad 2007 Nissan Xterra off road 6 speed 2 JRT'S Jack & Demi
itsrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Registration, Ins Card, Dog Biscuits, & Dog Med Papers
Old 10-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I added several wood strips put velcro on the lower ones for the remotes and on the upper strips I put l-shaped cup hooks and put cards and keys there on the hooks. Nothing falls out and you can look and see if something is missing as i used the emblossing tape below the strip to label them.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara
GLTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The little cabinet above the driver on our Journey is our "Library" ... ours is just the right depth for paperbacks, bird guides, flower books, etc.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I think I may go with a combo of baskets for the little stuff and velcro for the remotes. I was considering building some mini shelves to stack some stuff on, but may be more work than benefit.

It's tough being a "serial organizer".

Old 10-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Both the driver's and passenger's side cabinets iin our Vectra will hold CDs jewel cases very nicely. I like the idea of using the one over the door for bird books, etc.--I'll have to try that out.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cbeierl:
Both the driver's and passenger's side cabinets iin our Vectra will hold CDs jewel cases very nicely. I like the idea of using the one over the door for bird books, etc.--I'll have to try that out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CD cases are a good idea there,but I can't teach the bird to read!!

Sarge, the wife and daughter are used to me "organizing" with the plastic totes by now...

I'm actually getting ready to REDO the coach basement storage and I just got the coach in JULY!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

CD cases and DVD cases fit in ours. An office style bookend with a non-slip bottom does a great job of holding them upright.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cbeierl:
.... I like the idea of using the one over the door for bird books, etc.--...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CD cases are a good idea there,but I can't teach the bird to read!!

.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's good one. Must be a dodo bird, huh?
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have add a strip of plastic parts bins for screws, bulbs, fuses, --- great to have all small parts in one place.

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm actually getting ready to REDO the coach basement storage and I just got the coach in JULY!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reb,

I just did my basement storage about a month ago. I got tired of reaching over the stuff in the front of the curb side storage area to reach the stuff I had stacked in the upper rear area.

The solution I came up with was to build a shelf that was the same level as the upper storage area and extend them to the front of the bay. The shelf baords were made out of white Melamane coated shelf boards that were cut to fit. They rest on a 1X2 rafter system, and "L" brackets hold everything up. Now I have a two tier storage system, the lower half I bought and built storage rack systems from Home Depot which hold all the small stuff, and on top I made slide out trays that extend all the way to the back of the bay.

Each tray was made out of white Melamane coated MDF board about a 1/4" thick, and the sides are 1X3" white pine screwed together at the corners. The MDF was attached to the 1X3 frame with gripper screws about every 6" from the bottom. All screws were pre-drilled to eliminate cracking or splitting of the wood. The trays fit nicely in the bays, are about 24"X60", and allow me to use all the space available in the back of the storage areas.

The trays, shelves, and storage bins were had for about $100 dollars from HOme Depot. The trays slide out with little effort, and require no shelf slides or hardware that would take up precious storage space.

Pretty easy to do, and not much coin. I could take some pics if anyone is interested.

Good luck!!

Sarge