Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Video switches

Our new to us 2012 VISTA 30T did not have a rear tv. We have since added a flat screen and the provided rear hookups allows for over the air and park cable to the rear but not satellite without another box and probably rewiring. A friend's motor home-04 has a video switching box that allows that. Has anyone added a switch/box to their coach to switch different inputs to various TV's? I see Camping World has one for under a $100.

How difficult will it be to find the various coax feeds to plug into the box-thanks
Old 08-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You have to be careful with these BOB (box of buttons) and satellite signals. Most of them are splitters and splitters won't work with satellite signals because the LNB requires electrical current to operate and the splitters cannot back feed the voltage.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Syntst View Post
You have to be careful with these BOB (box of buttons) and satellite signals. Most of them are splitters and splitters won't work with satellite signals because the LNB requires electrical current to operate and the splitters cannot back feed the voltage.
They don't split the LNB feed, they switch and split the satellite receiver RF Ch 3 or 4 output,
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Each satellite receiver box needs direct access to the LNB. BOB has 1 satellite input and 1 output, 1 cable input and multiple outputs. If you want to watch the same satellite program on both TVs then BOB will work. To watch the second TV the the main one must also be running. If you want to watch different satellite channels then BOB won't work. I run one line through the satellite access on the roof and one through the cable input in the electrical bay. I bypass the BOB for the cable access and run it directly to the back TV which has it's own receiver.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

jazzerjump, if you have a RF video output on your satellite receiver you can add a combiner in the cable coax behind the antenna/cable switch wall plate and inject the satellite video in. Will work just like viewing cable on channel 3 or 4 depending which one is selected on the satellite box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable combiner.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	137521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1532.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	137522  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	137523  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret Syntst View Post
Each satellite receiver box needs direct access to the LNB. BOB has 1 satellite input and 1 output, 1 cable input and multiple outputs. If you want to watch the same satellite program on both TVs then BOB will work. To watch the second TV the the main one must also be running. If you want to watch different satellite channels then BOB won't work. I run one line through the satellite access on the roof and one through the cable input in the electrical bay. I bypass the BOB for the cable access and run it directly to the back TV which has it's own receiver.
When using the RF output of the satellite receiver, the main TV doesn't have to be on. You can use an RF remote and tune the receiver from the bedroom.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all. Our current receiver is a Dish 211Z and it only has the RGB output. I am assuming the RF output being referred to is a coax cable output. We don't have dish at home so don't have a "normal" dish box. Will check out the upgrade Wally box now available to see if it has other output connections.

I am not sure yet if the BOB boxes have RGB inputs other than maybe for the DVR player. Will keep pursuing
Old 09-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerjump View Post
Thanks all. Our current receiver is a Dish 211Z and it only has the RGB output. I am assuming the RF output being referred to is a coax cable output. We don't have dish at home so don't have a "normal" dish box. Will check out the upgrade Wally box now available to see if it has other output connections.

I am not sure yet if the BOB boxes have RGB inputs other than maybe for the DVR player. Will keep pursuing
The 211Z doesn't have RGB output. It has HDMI and Composite Video with RCA jacks for video and stereo audio. Some of the switch boxes with composite video and audio RCA inputs have a built in modulator to convert to Ch 3 or 4 with coax RF output to remote TVs. You could also install a modulator on the composite and audio outputs and use it's coax RF output with a regular Winegard or other switch box.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Right on the RCA. I found that out when searching for a converter (that may be the modulator maybe) for RCA to coax (or RF I think). Am not totally up to speed on the lingo for electonics as you can tell. Thanks
Old 09-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

OK we are getting there with the TV issue but not quite yet. We purchased a Wally Dish receiver. Interestingly the info with it says that if you only have a coax connection to your tv that you can purchase an RF modulator to convert the RCA output to coax.

I purchased a RF modulator and a diplexer/combiner/splitter.I hooked all up yesterday and do get a signal to both TV's now but the picture is very snowy.

Checked all connections twice but no luck on clearing up.

Any thoughts, suggestions are welcomed on this. The modulator is powered and the RCA cords were new that came with the Wally. The coax from the modulator is integral with the modulator and the coax from the combiner to the on board antenna panel is also new-came with the rear TV. I did check to be sure the booster power on the antenna panel was off. Good news is I still get over the air to both TV's.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

There must be a splitter or bad connection on one of the coax cables. Do you get a good picture on main TV if you use the RCA cables?
Old 09-15-2016, 06:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerjump View Post
OK we are getting there with the TV issue but not quite yet. We purchased a Wally Dish receiver. Interestingly the info with it says that if you only have a coax connection to your tv that you can purchase an RF modulator to convert the RCA output to coax.

I purchased a RF modulator and a diplexer/combiner/splitter.I hooked all up yesterday and do get a signal to both TV's now but the picture is very snowy.

Checked all connections twice but no luck on clearing up.

Any thoughts, suggestions are welcomed on this. The modulator is powered and the RCA cords were new that came with the Wally. The coax from the modulator is integral with the modulator and the coax from the combiner to the on board antenna panel is also new-came with the rear TV. I did check to be sure the booster power on the antenna panel was off. Good news is I still get over the air to both TV's.
In my experience, an amplifier is required following the modulator. I have used modulators for years at home and never found one that did not require an amplifier. If you search Amazon for "RF Amplifier" you will find several low priced units. You don't need anything fancy.
aiken rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

jazzerjump, try a coax cable from the modulator directly to the front TV to check the output of the modulator. If that checks out connect the coax without the combiner to the wall plate. Check that the coax is connected to the center jack on the back of the amp wall plate.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

You should have all the connections in the cabinet to the left, close to door. I had a TV there on my 30T. I thought it was standard. Was yours removed?Use a second receiver.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all. Our coach has the tv on the driver side wall across from the couch. Cables and sattelite outlet in the overhead above the driver. Wall plate for antenna power supply is in overhead above passenger. No contols or plugs in any of the side overheads.
Am going to try running to the antenna connection on antenna switch instead of cable as it seems like we never got decent tv on park cable tv. May be a bad run of cable on that connection. Over the air has always been good. Is there a particular reason it should be on cable connection?
Old 09-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

jazzerjump, most park cable tv is fair at best when compared to HD tv that we are use to now days. I added a booster which may have helped a little. My son was at a KOA a couple of weeks ago and he said on sunday morning the cable TV signal just kept getting better as RV's were leaving the campground.

Tags
switch