Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I want to remove my VCR from my '01 Journey and replace it with a DVD/VCR combo. The VCR is located in a front cabinet on the right side atop a shelf with no obvious access.

Is there a trick to the removal of the VCR as it must be clamped down somehow and I can't determine how. Would appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I want to remove my VCR from my '01 Journey and replace it with a DVD/VCR combo. The VCR is located in a front cabinet on the right side atop a shelf with no obvious access.

Is there a trick to the removal of the VCR as it must be clamped down somehow and I can't determine how. Would appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mine is held down with industrial strength velcro...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Just as Tomsm says the VCR is held down with commercial velcro. Taking it loose is like removing something that is glued down. I had to remove mine once and I installed some devices that attach to the side of the unit and the top of the cabinet on which the unit is sitting. They are used to keep items in place especially in earthquake zones. I use them on my satellite receiver that I remove when home. You should be able to get them at radio shack, best buy or circuit city.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
doc
Winnebago Owner

We did exactly the same thing. It is velco that holds it in place. Something flat and strong under one corner and smooth pressure got ours out without a great deal of problems. I had some velcro on a roll and took one portion of the new stuff to put on the new player. The new connection seems tighter than the old onel The hook part is heavier on the old velcro and the new, finer loop part will not let go w/o a heavy struggle now. Make sure you have it where you want it to be when you press it into place
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The VCR in our Adventurer is also held in place with the industrial strength Velcro. It takes a strong grip and patience to remove it. You have to apply continuos upward pressure on one corner at a time. After the first 1 or 2 are loose it's easier to get the others off.

I was hesitant to try it after the first time I tried to remove the clock from the wall to reset the time. The manual said it was also secured to the wall with Velcro. The removal instructions said to place your hands at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions and pull sharply. When I did I pulled all 3 screws out of the wall. Apparently in previous years it was secured with Velcro but someone decided to make a change without updating the manual.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:04 AM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Check out a product made by 3M called "Dual Lock". Its like a flexible plastic velcro with strong adhesive backing leave the strips set up for a day before attaching them together. The stuff is sold at Target. $2.49 for a package.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I removed the VCR in our previous motorhome (Adventurer) and replaced it with a DVD/VCR combo by Go Video (Costco). As noted, it is held by tough velcro. The new unit fit tightly and the tray would just fully extend with the door open - but it worked. New velcro held the unit very stable.

From there it is just plug and play.

Daniel C. Ellis
2005 Journey 39F
Portland, Oregon
dcellisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thankyou to everyone that replied. I was able to do the "surgery", remove the old and install the new combo machine. My wife loves me again!

Nick, Journey '01
Old 01-12-2007, 09:29 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Hikerdog,

Sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh, but man, thats FUNNY!!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hikerdogs:
The VCR in our Adventurer is also held in place with the industrial strength Velcro. It takes a strong grip and patience to remove it. You have to apply continuos upward pressure on one corner at a time. After the first 1 or 2 are loose it's easier to get the others off.

I was hesitant to try it after the first time I tried to remove the clock from the wall to reset the time. The manual said it was also secured to the wall with Velcro. The removal instructions said to place your hands at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions and pull sharply. When I did I pulled all 3 screws out of the wall. Apparently in previous years it was secured with Velcro but someone decided to make a change without updating the manual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I laughed as well.Your last comment about somebody forgot to update the manual struck me. My life is centered around learning from my mistakes,thats why I will never be a rich man.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

No Problem with the laughter. It was amusing at the time. Fortunately the holes were just the right size for anchors that expand behind the wall.
For those of you who haven't had to reset the time, the correct way to remove the clock on an 01 Adventurer is to rotate it 90* to the left.