Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I just found out that neither of my TV's in my '07 38T will work after February '09 and will need to be replaced or have converter boxes added. I would have thought that any motorhome that new would have modern TV's installed. What a rip-off! I guess Winnebago used up the ones that they had in stock. Be careful if you buy a new motorhome and be sure the TV's are suitable.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I just found out that neither of my TV's in my '07 38T will work after February '09 and will need to be replaced or have converter boxes added. I would have thought that any motorhome that new would have modern TV's installed. What a rip-off! I guess Winnebago used up the ones that they had in stock. Be careful if you buy a new motorhome and be sure the TV's are suitable.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Same here. Mine are both 05's. Got my digital credit cards and ready to put in the digital converters.

I too was a little disapointed.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My 08 Aspect. Front TV is DTV the rear one is not.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Our '08 View has a digital.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Porchdog, I agree one would think someone would have thought about this. The law was only passed....8+yrs ago! This and a few other items just don't make sense when you spend this type of money. Yeah, yeah everyone says that RV manufacturers are trying to 'keep the price down'. Well there are some things that just don't make sense and could be of better quality and I would be willing to pay a little more. I guess that is one way they get you to upgrade to higher end RV!
I use satellite so the digital issue doesn't affect me.

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

If you have satellite or cable, who cares??????

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
If you have satellite or cable, who cares?????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Related to Marie Antoinette, are you??

Those of us who want to watch the local news and weather (local channel option on DTV doesn't work away from home); or happen to get parked where the Sat won't pick up, in a campground without cable, might find it a wee bit useful.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

If you feel the need for a converter, get the coupon and spend the extra $7-15 bux. If you can race porsches, you can buy the box.

Have another drink of whine. In fact, looking at your RV set-up, I can see that you have more $$ worth of toys than my net worth! not

Old 06-29-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
If you feel the need for a converter, get the coupon and spend the extra $7-15 bux. If you can race porsches, you can buy the box.

Have another drink of whine. In fact, looking at your RV set-up, I can see that you have more $$ worth of toys than my net worth! not </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hamguy - I think you misunderstood his post a tad. Not complaining about the money - complaing that an 07 coach has 05 equipment. it's just comes as a little surprise that's all.

Your compassion and understanding is underwhelming and not very nice either. No need for that here.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:43 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

You should understand that RV's are designed and prepped at least 2 years (prolly 3) before the sale year. To be competitive, Winne must buy materials and appliances (incl. TV) in advance.

Even though the law was passed a few years ago, the cost of digital TVs was very high (and still is, kinda) back in 04 or 05. Besides, Winne may have gotten a big price cut on these TVs which work for 90+% of campers.

I keep a weather radio for that info and as far as local news is concerned, I really, rarely care.

While I can see your point, in the long run I believe it is minimal compared to $4.09 gas.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I just had to chime in. I too am surprised that late model TVs would not be digital capable. Personally, I find that 99% of the parks I stay in have cable so that I can partake in local news. I still, trees permitting, get my satellite channels and news back home. My biggest concern is replacing the POS RCA TV when it decides to quit providing images, and incorporating my DHS surround system.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My sole intent was to reinforce the fact that SOME of us still use the local antenna at times. Buying the converter is not the issue.

And, as a moderator on a 30,000 member forum whose average member age is 24, I'm used to e-thugs.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

OK boys and girls, let's find a neutral corner puhleeeze.

As I'm sure we're all aware by now, differences of opinion are expected here in the forums, but there's no place for personal comments aimed at one another.

Please take this into consideration before hitting that "post now" button.

Many thanks,

Bob Gregory
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I really love these forums - they provide such a great help with owning and maintaning our RV. We have also met some really nice folks on here. But it really is getting annoying to see the constant bickering in forums - that is why I dont even LOOK at rv.net anymore. I really hope this place doesnt become a place of bickering.

We are all bothers and sisters with something in common. Cant we all just be friends?

Remember, what might seem like a silly question to one, might be a legitimate issue for another.

Just my .02 cents. Now, off to another thread to enjoy the Winnebago forums..
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #16
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">that is why I dont even LOOK at rv.net anymore. I really hope this place doesnt become a place of bickering. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can wholeheartedly assure you the instances of what you call "bickering" here on iRV2 are miniscule compared to the "other" forum and I can further assure you that we're not going to let anything like that happen here on iRV2.

I have a wonderful staff of volunteer moderators and forum leaders who work very hard to keep the forums family oriented and hopefully keep everyone happy.

There's NO SUCH THING as a stupid question, as not every member is as savvy as the last, whether it's with computers or with an item with regard to their RV.

Thank each and every one of you for your continued support.
I encourage you to continue posting and would also ask that, when making that RV related purchase that you peruse the list of our valued sponsors and maybe give them a chance to earn your business.
It's because of these sponsors, (like Winnebago for instance) that we're able to keep doing what we're doing.

Respectfully,

Bob Gregory
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Thanks Bob Gregory for having your hand on the throttle of this invaluable engine, Irv2. I must admit I have been wondering what demeanor was taking place over the 8 years since I have been here. It is good to know you have it under control.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Thank you Bob - we all apprecaite your time and efforts. This site has been our best friend as "newer" RV owners.

And yes, the instances are "miniscule" compared to that of RV.net, I was just saying that a trend can quickly fall into "bad things" and/or much more work for you guys and gals that moderate. I feel you, I am the owner of a mens Cancer Support website with over 12,000 active members - I have 5 moderators that volunteer their time to keep things nice. It is is no way easy work, and we all owe you and the team a big thanks!!
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Are we bothers and sisters or brothers and sitters?

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And, as a moderator on a 30,000 member forum whose average member age is 24, I'm used to e-thugs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I belong to three Mercedes-Benz forums and always amazed how quickly someone will rip on another's question or post. I myself have gotten it right here on this forum... It gets so tiresome that at times I just don't log on to the M-B forum's for awhile, which is too bad since I own two of them and there are some great questions and answers that come up. It's almost as if when we type behind the anonymous wall of the Internet, the more keys we push, the more the steroids kick in and turns us into people we usually are not; kind of like road rage but using a computer keyboard instead of a car to intimidate or attack.

Personally, I agree with your assessment of buying a 'new' motorhome and having equipment that is already two - three years old. In technology terms, that can be an eternity. To me, the whole idea of buying something new is that I'm getting the latest and the greatest... but it sure isn't if it's two/three years old!

Thanks for the perspective of some of the ˜new' equipment that manufacturers install...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote