Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV signal distribution box

We have Dish Network in our 2013 Sunstar 35F. I have two ViP211k receivers in the coach. The other day I set up the Dish system in preparation for an upcoming two month trip. The living room TV accesses Dish via the component input. I am not getting a signal on that set or the outside set. This system has worked well in the past. The bedroom TV is working fine on its own receiver. My thought is the component cable that is plugged into the living room TV is either loose at the distribution box or has a broken wire. Here is the problem: according to the Winnebago parts diagram the distribution box is supposed to be located right behind an access panel in the front passenger side overhead. This distribution box is powered by a transformer plugged into the 110v outlet in that overhead compartment. I opened that access panel and could not find the distribution box. When I called Winnebago this afternoon I was told that the box was supposed to be right inside that panel. Going back to the storage place and again opening that panel revealed the following: the box must be sitting on a flat metal part of the front cab frame. The reason I say this is that all the cables including the power cable are routed up there. While I could neither see nor feel the distribution box I am reasonably certain it is there. How to access it is the $64 question. I think it is immediately behind the right overhead speaker. Any ideas?

Yes, I did check the cables on the TV and found them to be secure.

As an alternative have any of you run an HDMI cable from the driver's side overhead compartment to the living room TV in a 35F?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

artgpo, The drawing below is looking down at the area where the distribution box is supposed to be. Make sure the power transformer for the distribution box is plugged in and the recept is hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35F TV Dist Box.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	96979  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

That is exactly the drawing I used. That box is not where it is depicted in Winnebago's schematic.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Your best access is to take all the stuff out of the bin above the passenger and then remove the top panel from that bin. Then look for the distribution box.
Before you do all of this verify that the output from the Dish box is still connected. Make sure all of the wires are pushed all the way in. Check not only audio L/R but video. Have you verified that the DVD player works to the inside TV? What about over the air TV, also check the input to the outside TV and make sure you are on the correct input. Also check to make sure the distribution box is actually plugged in and has power, in other words verify there is power to the outlet that its plugged into.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It is not the cable plugged into the Living room TV (Might be the one to the outside TV)

On the 211K there should be a coax fitting marked TO TV

This goes to the switch box,, nto the TV.. Sat IN jack

Then the coax goes from there to the outside TV

THERE MAY BE A MENU SETTING ON THE SAT BOX THAT NEEDS CHANGING.. not sure been a long time since I set up a 211K.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

wa8yxm, artgpo's coach does not use the coax output from the dish receiver and does not have a switch box.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I will look again tomorrow but it appears the distribution box (as I call it) is located far away from prying eyes and hands. My engineer son (more smarts than I) will be looking at it tomorrow. I have removed the access panel and the trim on top of the compartment with no luck. The 211k is wired correctly so it has to be the component cable somewhere, more likely than not the one the Dish box outputs to.
I still welcome any suggestions because all have been helpful.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My son found the amplifier box within two minutes. It is located at the top of the center overhead compartment not in the right compartment as per Winnebago. After the process of elimination it was determined that the box itself was bad. So instead of spending $50 for a new amplifier we bought five RCA female/female connectors for $6. He made a direct connection from the Dish box to the living room TV. Beautiful picture!
Old 06-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

artgpo, The HD Video Distribution Center also sends the sat signal to the external TV. Looks like the distribution box 168942-01-000 cost about $115.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

TV signal distribution box

Buy exact same box anywhere from $50 - $80 online.

I rarely use external TV so not having sat outside no big deal.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

artgpo, duh , senior moment, I usually look on line first but got in WBGO price instead. I would think twice about not replacing it now you know it is bad. Never know when the DW is going want to watch a satellite program outside.