Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

TV Replacement alternative..??

Hi guys:

I have read the TV replacement messages and looked at the pictures about replacing my Sony TV in the overhead up front in my 04 Meridan and the bedroom.

Besides doing it myself, or having the stealership do it, is there any other alternatives?

I figure I can get a 32 in. Sylvania HD, LED 720 DPI for around $389.00 and the width is only 29.75 X H- 20 inches. My openiong is 27.5 X 20 in. So I would have to enlarge the molding a bit. But I am not comfortable trying to rip out the old one, and build a mount with plywood and angle iron, then secure it and then solder the surround sound wires into the new speakers.

I all ready have the bedroom TV removed, but not sure how to proceed with that one either.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Regards.. Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

HI Jim,

You might want to consider going with a 1080p LCD. That is what I moved to, you can really tell the difference- especially when viewing DVD's or watching HD.

Sheila
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Jim, I replaced all 3 of my CRT's, removed and rebuilt cabinets, routed 110v, built framing, etc. If you are not comfortable working with wood, metal, wiring, etc., you should really have someone that knows what they are doing. The possibility of the electrical shorting, mounting failure causing TV to fall, etc., are worth the cost difference.

By the way, I bought all my LCD's from Craigs List at less than $.50 on the dollar and all three were less than 2 years old.

If you lived in the San Diego area, I would be happy to do it for you.

Good luck,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi All:

Thanks for info so far. I can probably manage if I put my mind to it, but my weekends are always a zoo.

And when I park the coach in my driveway, it takes up the WHOLE thing and I can't move my other cars around...LOL

Regards... Jim P.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Jim, This is something that you will only have to do once in your onwership of the MH. I would also suggest you go with the 1080p and have someone do it for you, unless you have some carpentry skills along with electrical know how. When I did mine, I also went with the biggest one that would fit between the cabinets. John H...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Double Ditto the 1080p. Our bedroom 21" is less than great at 720. LR really needs the 1080p
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi All:

I do have carpentry skills, framing houses, not so much cabinet making skills though.

As far as electrial, I know enough to be dangerous. LOL I do know from reading the other posts that I have to solder wires from my surround sound setup to the speakers on the back of the TV. I never had to solder anything before.

Like I said I pulled the TV out of the bedroom all ready. I was starting to try and take out the TV in the front but I knew I was going to run out of time, so it will have to wait for another weekend.

I will probably go the 3/4 in. plywood with the angle iron route to try and mount inside the metal frame. I will have to enlarge the wood frame molding opening about 1.25 in. on each side of the frame to fit the 32 in. Sylvania, 29.75 in. actual width.

The problem is if I get stuck, I am probably screwed. I have no RV buddies in my area to help me out.

But nothing ventured, nothing gained. I was going to buy the Sylvania 32 in. front and the 22 in. for the bedroom. I will probably go with the 720 DPI... cheaper than the 1080 at this point. I know... I know..

I just bought the coach, and I paid over $5K for PA sales Tax, $2K for new towbar and car bracket, wireing and misc. Over $2K for misc. repairs on coach. So now you can understand why I am trying to save a few bucks on the new TV install.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Regards... Jim P.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi Jim:
Regarding the surround sound setup, you can avoid the soldering process if you get a TV that has a "variable output" jack. Then you just plug the existing RCA jack into the new TV.
Hope this helps.

Tom
TomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

HI TomE

So my 2004 Sony that's in there now has an RCA jack all ready in back so all that all I have to do is plug it in a TV with a variable output jack?

That sounds to easy.

Regards Jim P.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

There is a good article on this forum where the guy put a flat screen on the outside of the old TV surround molding but did not interfere with the two side doors. It looks real clean and if you use a TV with a back that will fit into the old opening the new TV looks factory installed. Make sure that the TV you use has the controls on the front or side so you can adjust it without a remote. He sent me a PDF but for some reason I can't resend it. Soldering isn't necessary if you use crimped fittings or the new type that screw on with a nut on either end of the union.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I installed a LCD in the front and in the bedroom. Getting the heavy TV out of the overhead in the front reduced the stress on the windshields. Tradewinds are famous for popping windshields and I believe the motion created by the front TV contributes to this problem.
Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1809.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	3572   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1812.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	3573  

Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Smile TV

Be cautious. The Sony weighs 77 lbs. Just unscrew and remove the wood framing and pull the Sony out. The steel cage in which it lived can be cut and folded using a sawsall. The "plastic" shroud is likewise altered. A standard LCD/Plasma mount is bolted to the "folded" sides of the cage. The TV is then mounted. The surround speakers will require a variable volume control fed by the RCA jacks n the new TV.
I installed a 32" LG up front and a 22" in the back. Have fun.

rvr2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Jim - I mounted a Vizio VOJ320F in our Journey. It's too big to fit inside the cabinet. I mounted it with a very sturdy articulating mount. A couple of strong bungees snugs up against the front of the cabinet. It's the same width as the cabinet so it doesn't interfere with the doors on the side cabinets. And best of all, it has variable sound output jacks, so you just plug in the RCA connectors to the surround system - no soldering... You also have the option, with the remote control, of turning the internal speakers off. The case is dark brown with a small amount of gold trim. It looks very nice with the cabinetry. Sorry, I don't have any pictures and don't have access to the RV right now. This model has been around for a year or so and has gotten excellent reviews.

Here's a link to one on Amazon. There may be better prices out there, I just pulled up this listing to make sure it was still available.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Jim:
The existing Sony will have a device attached to the rear of the TV. It has a small black canister with a female RCA connection. There is a corresponding male jack that is connected to the amp for the speaker system. If you install a new TV that has a "variable sound output" then you can plug the existing RCA jack into the new TV and your "surround sound" should function.
Tom
TomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I can't really help with the install as I am just getting my first RV, but hopes it works out.

In regards to the TV to pick I can assist and will provide links if you don't believe me. Hopefully this will mean that you save a few bucks

The 1080p vs 720p information depends on your seating distance. The benefit of 1080p on a 32 inch TV would not be noticable until you sit within 6ft (which you may do in an RV). Many people thinking there is a difference do so because they bought an overall better model that has other features making it an overall better TV.

Don't belive me here you go....just one of many links I could provide on this subject

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

Now you are getting a flater screen than the CRT TV you had so can you have it stick out some?

Something like this as a mount - not sure how that would work in the wall etc just a thought

MAX-Q P-7010 LCD TV Bracket Mount Swing Away Flat Panel RV Trailer P 7010

The sound advice that people are giving you is very sound. Run it through the TV should give you good enough sound in an RV

mikeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

One caution, when using a extension swing mount the rule of thumb is get a mount that has a listed capacity of double the weight of your TV. Also, once mounted ensure you have a means to secure and support the TV while the RV is in motion. There is alot of weight hanging from the mount and it's mounting hardware.

If TV weighs 50# get a mount that will hold at least 100#. Could be costly experience.

I am experienced :(
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Flat Screen TV

Jim, I am now just completing the instlation of a 32" Vizo Model SV32OXXT HD with 1080P in my 07 Merdian. I chose this one because it was their slim line version with the speakers to the front of the TV. At the same time, I also replaced my satelite dish with a Wineguard HD Slimline. If you go with the 32" remember there is a steel cage frame where the old TV is mounted into and this could cause you problems. The way I wanted to mount my TV, almost flush, I had to cut 2" off the steel cage because of the depth of the TV. Then I built a frame out of 1-1/2" square tubing to mount the TV. For a TV mount, I went through www.monoprice.com for a killer deal on the bracket to mount the TV - $16.00. As far as the electrical, I was told by the Tech. guys a Park River, 574-522-7781, if your TV has a variable volume setting, then you can just use the regular RCA cables. The cabinet does have to be modified and I will being doing that this Monday. If you want more information along with the pictures I took just e-mail me and I will be happy to send them to you. I hope to be up and running this Wednesday. Good luck
R. Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Hi RF

Thanks for the help. I sent you a personal email with my email address.

Jim P.