Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

TV Replacement

I have read a lot of the treads about replacing the livingroom TV with a flatscreen one. There have also been treads about the surround sound systems in the Winnebago lines.

Now that we have changed out our bedroom to a 26" Vizio, we are now ready to tackle the livingroom. My question is what I sould be looking for in a flatscreen that will be compatible with our surrond sound.

Thanks,
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Ron, continue the research. My coach had a synthetic surround sound (I'm guessing your's may also) and I was not able to control the volume. I simply upgraded the TV and bought an inexpensive surround sound system at Costco and the sound system works great. For pictures of the project check out SVCJeff, his pictures and finished product turned out great. I followed his ideas and was happy with the outcome.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You need a variable audio output if you want to control the surround sound output with your TV remote. A lot (most?) of the TVs have a fixed audio output level, assuming you will control the volume at the sound system.

Vizio makes some units with the varible output. I put a 32" Vizio in ours and the sound output can be switched between "fixed" and "variable" in an onscreen menu item. Can't remember the model number, but I think it was VOJ32xxx? To be sure, download the owners manual and check for variable output...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check the back of your present audio system and notice what type of input jack is being used. Most likely it will be RCA Audio plugs. Those red and white ones, and yellow for a video input. Now look at the television you are going to purchase. What is the "line output" on the television, sometimes just labeled "audio out." I will venture to say that most of the newer flat screen televisions are missing the RCA Out jacks and instead are using the TOS (optical) output, or Coaxial output.

If the television audio output is not compatible with the audio input of your stereo system you will not have all your speakers working and will have to rely on the television speakers. Or, you can look for a television that meets your audio system requirements. Or, you can replace the audio system.

That is what I am going to do, replace the audio system. We never use the am/fm feature of the audio system. So a good receiver with a DVD player (fancy of course) with the necessary audio inputs is what I'll be looking for.

Also, looking at televisions consider if it is going to sit in a present hole or be able to be extended. If it is in a present hole then you want the television speakers on the outside edge of the television. This will decrease the screen size that you can have by having the speakers underneath or on the insides. I went from a 30" digital ready on my 2008, to a 36" tv. The outside width was 36 inches and I have it mounted on a swivel mount. When traveling it fits into the original hole. When we are watching it, I pull it out 3 or 4 inches so the speakers are outside the hole.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If your audio unit is like mine you use the RCA connections for audio in so the sound cannot be true surround but rather a synthetic version created from the analog audio input. This really ticks me off to because my audio unit/DVD player has an optical (digital) audion out but not optical audio in. I'm not sure what purpose they thought this would serve but it's useless.

Find a TV with variable audio out or replace your audio system with one which has a digital audio in.

Good luck...

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Tomsm! Purchased my Vizio a year ago and have done without surround sound since I couldn't figure it out. Your post solved my problem.

Gotta love this list.

Nick, Journey '01
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Tomsm!,
Based on your post, I found a Vizio VOJ320M on sale and ordered it. Once it is delivered, I will start looking at mounting option. Have already got some good ideas from other members.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote