Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

TV removal and upgrade

My 2007 Voyage still has the huge CRT in the front and one in the rear bedroom. I want to remove the old TV's and replace them with LCD's. I know I have seen threads in the past with pictures from those that have done this, but can't seem to find them now.

I need instructions on how to remove the wood framework for the front tv. I think I remember that many were able to build a mounting board attached to the metal framework for the new TV, again I can't seem to find the previous postings.

I am also interested in what other's have used for mounts. Most of the wall mounts that I have seen in stores seem less than secure. I am concerned that the TV might bounce out of the mounting while on the road. I would be interested in hearing what other people have used for secure mounting. I think I saw a moveable mount somewhere that locks for travel, but can't find that again either. Brand name and model # of your preferred mounts would be appreciated.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looks like your front TV setup may be similar to mine in my 2005 Vectra. Here's my thread on replacing my front TV: Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)

You also may find a bunch of good info on this sticky thread over on rvforum.net: Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements (Note that you may need to join the forum to see pictures, but that's free to do if needed).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Re TV upgrade in your Voyage

Tom
I have a 2007 Voyage and did this a few years ago I removed the heavy tvs and replaced them with 32" Samsung flat screens, makes a difference not only in picture quality but believe it or not I think taking that top heavy weight out made the coach handle better. I contacted Winnebago and they gave me the removal procedure if and when you do it get some help that dam tv over the cab has rocks in it for added weight just kidding but is really heavy. I had to do some carpentry to make the flat screens fit just right and added some weather stripping foam to the inside face of my new front trim so the front of new tv would not get damaged in transit you may have better Idea's but I chose not to use mounting brackets and used my own design to secure TVs now in use with no problems for past four years. If I can be of further help let me know I've never done pictures but if you need I'll try and post for you if you think it would help.
Good luck
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thank you both for your response. Chris the pics in your link are very helpful. I will also be reviewing the thread on the other site.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Follow Up from previous post

Tom
Just wanted to add I took out the heavy steel frame that held the Front TV I also removed bracket for rear TV.
Good Luck
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

TV removal and upgrade

After removing the old TV, I bolted slotted angle iron to the metal frame such that I was able to secure 2 horizontal pieces across the opening, to which a standard, non-telescoping wall mount could hang from. The wall mount has 2 spring-loaded catches that hold the tv in place on bumpy roads; clips on top and bottom. I was able to fit a 42" Visio in the opening with room under to store the remotes. 2005, 34' Winnebago Sightseer. I'll see if I can find the pix I took.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:23 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Here is a link to my TV replacement project:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/tv-re...ct-321576.html

My TV is mid ship but I have seen quite a few replacements like mine done for the overhead TV's.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hey Tom,
Well Sir, here's mine that is as we speak, an "in progress" project.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/new-...in-341487.html

In short, I gutted the old "DHS" 5.1 surround sound (make believe) system and have installed a new Marantz 5.2 Receiver and, a Pioneer Amp for the factory sub woofers. So far, I've just completed all the speaker wiring etc. At present, I'm making mini-speaker boxes for a set of Bose speakers that will be installed and used solely for the dash radio. Once those are done, I will be re-structuring the TV capture area for the new Samsung, 32" LED Flat screen. I can tell you that there is substantial metal up there that was to hold and keep secure, that boat anchor Sony 24", 100 lb. TV. About 98% of that metal, will be removed since, the new Samsung, weighs in at a whopping 8.5 lbs. That's right, EIGHT POINT FIVE POUNDS.

So, needless to say, there is absolutely ZERO need for all that structure, especially the low hanging part(s), to remain in place. The lower part of the wood framing will be shortened due to the new Samsung is shorter but wider.

Anyway, it's a fairly intense project but, as you can read, many have taken it on and survived with great outcomes. I hope to be there real soon.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Tom,

Well Sir, here's mine that is as we speak, an "in progress" project.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/new-...in-341487.html

In short, I gutted the old "DHS" 5.1 surround sound (make believe) system and have installed a new Marantz 5.2 Receiver and, a Pioneer Amp for the factory sub woofers. So far, I've just completed all the speaker wiring etc. At present, I'm making mini-speaker boxes for a set of Bose speakers that will be installed and used solely for the dash radio. Once those are done, I will be re-structuring the TV capture area for the new Samsung, 32" LED Flat screen. I can tell you that there is substantial metal up there that was to hold and keep secure, that boat anchor Sony 24", 100 lb. TV. About 98% of that metal, will be removed since, the new Samsung, weighs in at a whopping 8.5 lbs. That's right, EIGHT POINT FIVE POUNDS.

So, needless to say, there is absolutely ZERO need for all that structure, especially the low hanging part(s), to remain in place. The lower part of the wood framing will be shortened due to the new Samsung is shorter but wider.

Anyway, it's a fairly intense project but, as you can read, many have taken it on and survived with great outcomes. I hope to be there real soon.

Scott

Scott.... I see you went with the Samsung 32 inch flat screen in your Journey. It is the same one you saw in our Itasca last winter in Bullhead City. Good choice. It is a perfect for the hole where the boat anchor lives...LOL....Like your choice of surround sound system as well. Mark
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

BTW, when purchasing a TV, if you think you may use a Cable connection (basic digital cable), make sure your new TV has a QAM tuner. Doesn't matter for satellite or OTA. Typically included in larger HDTV but sometimes not in smaller TVs. Check the specs.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryd73 View Post
I was able to fit a 42" Visio ...

Meant to say 32" Visio ...
Old 06-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

A couple things to add.

1. You are not really bound to a 32" display. The 32 will look great and fits inside the hole perfectly but it's rather small for the size of the coach. A 42" or larger display will easily fit on the outside of the framework.

2. You can use a full motion articulating wall mount for a much heavier TV, like say a 55 or 60" TV. The mount can attach directly to the steel frame left by the old TV. This mount will enable you to pull the TV out away from the cabinet and angle it toward your sitting area. This type of mount will allow you to have full access to the empty space left by old CRT. A robust mount meant for a much larger TV will be solid as a rock and the TV will not move or jiggle even when people go inside or bounce around inside the coach. You might get a little movement if your washing machine is out of balance. Haha

3. For traveling, you can tie a bungee to the front of the steel mount and the hook the bungee to the mount directly behind the center of the tv. This will pull the TV up tight against the cabinetry and secure it for traveling. Four 1" round or square stickie pads on the TV or the cabinet will prevent the TV from scuffing the cabinetry. The bungie is simple to unhook to gain access to the back of the TV or to position the TV for a better viewing angle. This will also give you easy access to the back of the TV to reconnect cables or hook up additional devices to the TV if necessary.

4. Try to find a TV with audio output RCA jacks. Most cheaper TV's do not have audio output RCA jacks. IF you are replacing your surround sound device with a modern AVR then you don't need to worry about Audio out because all the audio will come from the AVR.

5. Spend a little extra for a smart TV. All modern smart TV's come loaded with APs that are super handy when you are within wifi range. You can stream music, watch the weather channel, netflicks, vodo, hudu, youtube, etc, etc. Many of these features are 100% free if there is wifi where you're camped. If you don't get a smart TV be sure that your blue ray player or AVR is wifi capable and has those AP's.

I replaced my big CRT in our Suncruiser. I went with a 42" LG smart tv. The install was simple. Everyone who steps inside the coach now says, "wow, that is a nice set up. wish I would have done mine that way".

I can post a few pictures if anyone is interested.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Just saw your thread in the "Recent Discussions" box. We have a different coach but thought this might be of some help to you. I won't be following this thread but if I can help just PM me!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I did two in the '02 DSDP and now two in the present rig. Would have been three but the one overhead in front was already done. The salon one was a 42" 720, thick and heavy. Replaced it with a 48" that was 1/3rd the weight and only about 1" wider.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
A couple things to add.

1. You are not really bound to a 32" display. The 32 will look great and fits inside the hole perfectly but it's rather small for the size of the coach. A 42" or larger display will easily fit on the outside of the framework.

2. You can use a full motion articulating wall mount for a much heavier TV, like say a 55 or 60" TV. The mount can attach directly to the steel frame left by the old TV. This mount will enable you to pull the TV out away from the cabinet and angle it toward your sitting area. This type of mount will allow you to have full access to the empty space left by old CRT. A robust mount meant for a much larger TV will be solid as a rock and the TV will not move or jiggle even when people go inside or bounce around inside the coach. You might get a little movement if your washing machine is out of balance. Haha

3. For traveling, you can tie a bungee to the front of the steel mount and the hook the bungee to the mount directly behind the center of the tv. This will pull the TV up tight against the cabinetry and secure it for traveling. Four 1" round or square stickie pads on the TV or the cabinet will prevent the TV from scuffing the cabinetry. The bungie is simple to unhook to gain access to the back of the TV or to position the TV for a better viewing angle. This will also give you easy access to the back of the TV to reconnect cables or hook up additional devices to the TV if necessary.

4. Try to find a TV with audio output RCA jacks. Most cheaper TV's do not have audio output RCA jacks. IF you are replacing your surround sound device with a modern AVR then you don't need to worry about Audio out because all the audio will come from the AVR.

5. Spend a little extra for a smart TV. All modern smart TV's come loaded with APs that are super handy when you are within wifi range. You can stream music, watch the weather channel, netflicks, vodo, hudu, youtube, etc, etc. Many of these features are 100% free if there is wifi where you're camped. If you don't get a smart TV be sure that your blue ray player or AVR is wifi capable and has those AP's.

I replaced my big CRT in our Suncruiser. I went with a 42" LG smart tv. The install was simple. Everyone who steps inside the coach now says, "wow, that is a nice set up. wish I would have done mine that way".

I can post a few pictures if anyone is interested.

The 32 will look great and fits inside the hole perfectly but it's rather small for the size of the coach.

Well Sir, I don't know what your original arrangement of the cabinetry surrounding your original TV looks like but, a 32" WILL NOT fit in the present hole for ours. It will fit vertically but, not horizontally. I will have to modify my face frame to accept it horizontally. And it IS the largest TV that will fit, in that area, if we don't want to destroy the use of the adjacent cabinets, on both sides. Besides, those adjacent cabinets house the Satalite control box and Blue Ray player on the left and, on the right, there is the multi-switch box and new Marantz receiver, and the Pioneer amp that was needed to power the factory sub woofers.

I have seen where folks have used extra large TVs and actually overlapped the two cabinet doors on each side. It's ok if that's your thing but, I, like many, are trying to keep it looking as close to original and still get the function and improvement of a newer, modern TV.

Mark,
I don't remember yours all that much other than it was overlapping the original hole horizontally. I'm gonna pull my face frame down and slice off some of the inside of each up-right ( the actual correct term is "Style" for you cabinet builders out there) to be able to accommodate that new LED unit. I'm still finishing up my small speaker boxes for the Bose speakers I installed for the radio use only. Once that is complete, I start on the hole for the TV.

Once that's done, then I attack the rear bedroom TV. That one will be easy.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The 32 will look great and fits inside the hole perfectly but it's rather small for the size of the coach.

Well Sir, I don't know what your original arrangement of the cabinetry surrounding your original TV looks like but, a 32" WILL NOT fit in the present hole for ours. It will fit vertically but, not horizontally. I will have to modify my face frame to accept it horizontally. And it IS the largest TV that will fit, in that area, if we don't want to destroy the use of the adjacent cabinets, on both sides. Besides, those adjacent cabinets house the Satalite control box and Blue Ray player on the left and, on the right, there is the multi-switch box and new Marantz receiver, and the Pioneer amp that was needed to power the factory sub woofers.

I have seen where folks have used extra large TVs and actually overlapped the two cabinet doors on each side. It's ok if that's your thing but, I, like many, are trying to keep it looking as close to original and still get the function and improvement of a newer, modern TV.

Mark,
I don't remember yours all that much other than it was overlapping the original hole horizontally. I'm gonna pull my face frame down and slice off some of the inside of each up-right ( the actual correct term is "Style" for you cabinet builders out there) to be able to accommodate that new LED unit. I'm still finishing up my small speaker boxes for the Bose speakers I installed for the radio use only. Once that is complete, I start on the hole for the TV.

Once that's done, then I attack the rear bedroom TV. That one will be easy.
Scott
Hey, Scott, take lots of pics, will ya? I have an '03 Horizon and I'm sure it's similar. I bought a 32" smart TV about a year ago. It's still in the box. I've done this change-out in two other motorhomes but this Itasca kinda has me stymied. Particularly interested in exactly what's holding the CRT in there and what has to be loosened/removed to get it out. I'm probably good to go after that, but anything you come up with will be useful, I'm sure, and appreciated!
Old 06-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Hey Scott,

I just went out and measured and you are correct a 32" display won't fit inside the cabinetry. A 30" display is about the biggest that might fit. To fit inside the original cabinetry it may have to be as small as 27" depending on exactly how the cabinetry is configured.

The OP didn't really say that he wanted to keep the TV looking original.
He didn't say exactly how he was planning to mount the TV or what size he was going to go with. He was asking for options and examples of what others have already done. My post was just another option.

As far as destroying the adjacent cabinetry, that simply isn't true. As I explained you can use a full motion articulating wall mount. If you spend a little extra you can get one that is made for a larger TV and it will be very robust. The TV will not move going down the road or when articulated out for better viewing. I have full access to both cabinets with moving the TV just slightly off center.

My installation was simple, the mount cost about $100 and the entire process of removing the old and installing the new took about an hour. I think the OP will take a little more time as I haven't looked at how his cabinetry comes apart.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I would like to thank all of you that have responded to this post, you have all been very helpful for me. I am especially grateful for those that posted pictures for me, it really helps to see the process. I have sent an email to Winnebago requesting instructions for removing the front tv. I think I can figure it out, but if they send instructions it might go a bit easier for me. Thanks again, everyone, please keep posting for me, it is appreciated.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Here is a picture of my 32" Samsung conversion. I thought it was important to get rid of the structure that hangs down. Cutting it out did create more work but now that it's gone I'm glad I did. I reused some of the old cherry cabinet in an attempt to maintain a factory look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	165146  
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:25 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaminSamin View Post
Here is a picture of my 32" Samsung conversion. I thought it was important to get rid of the structure that hangs down. Cutting it out did create more work but now that it's gone I'm glad I did. I reused some of the old cherry cabinet in an attempt to maintain a factory look.
That looks great Jammin. Nice work.

Tags
removal, upgrade