Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Jamin, I see that you have yours suspended in front of the wood trim. Can you tell me what mount you used to hang the TV, and how it is locked down for travel?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Tom, the frame behind the tv is all wood. I can take it down as an assembly, it's held in place by screws through the metal bracing on the sides which I access from the cupboards, kind of like how Winnebago did it. You can see the screw holes in the cherry frame I cut down. Three screws on each side and it's out...or in. It's not complicated, very light and very solid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	165222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	165223  

JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaminSamin View Post
Tom, the frame behind the tv is all wood. I can take it down as an assembly, it's held in place by screws through the metal bracing on the sides which I access from the cupboards, kind of like how Winnebago did it. You can see the screw holes in the cherry frame I cut down. Three screws on each side and it's out...or in. It's not complicated, very light and very solid.
Jamin,
I'm interested in your approach to mounting the TV. At present, I'm staring at all the steel that Winne used to secure that boat anchor Sony. Since our new TV is going to be very similar to yours, we certainly won't need all that steel and, I plan on cleaning all that up and, raising the new TV height. I see you cut off the top of the original cabinetry, correct?

You also added interior wood, to attach the existing cabinet framing too, that captures the back of the new TV, correct? I like that thought. One of the main differences in the way you did yours and, the way I'm thinking about doing ours is, I'd like to "inset" the TV into the existing wood framing. In order to do that, I'll have to slice about an inch, from the INSIDE of each of the uprights, in order for the TV to be recessed into the framing. Not sure yet but, that's the plan.

We purchased a swing-out residential TV mount while we were buying the new Samsung, just in case I'd need some parts (mainly the actual plate for attachment to the TV). But, I may adapt your idea. Did you remove all the steel structure behind the TV? If so, how? That's pretty substantial steel supports back there. About the only way I can think of is to use a 4" grinder with a cutting wheel on it. WHAT A MESS that will be.

I'll have to tape off the whole front of the coach so I don't have metal dust EVERYWHERE!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Scott, I cut the top rail away from the stiles because I wanted to keep the factory profile cut into the top of the stiles, it matches the ceiling contour. Measure from the top inside of the stile down the height of the tv and that's your bottom cut.

I used an air saw and a lot of blades to cut away the frame. It did make a mess but I covered and encapsulated the best I could. I did use an air cut off tool and air grinder too, but mostly the air saw.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0727.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	165262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	165263  

JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:54 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Pictures of Framework, TV Bracket & Final

I located pictures of the framework and my install to the original metal frame, the TV mount attached ... also the final result. I used the original wood frame, cut down to fit the sides (cabinet shop) and made a new piece, stained to fill the gap in the bottom, which is now a hinged, fold-out tray for remotes.

However, my Cousin (Winnebago Journey) left the wood frame and mounted the TV on the outside of the woodwork and made a Plexiglas tray to fill the gap at the bottom where he can store the remotes.

I really wanted to use all that space behind the TV for shelve/storage, but the compound angles made it more of a project than I wanted to get into before a trip. Also, others have mounted the TV to 1/4 plywood that is piano hinged along the top of the opening, so the TV could flip up for access to the storage. Another great idea that takes a little more engineering than I wanted to get into.

Note: I tried a swivel type mount and could not get the TV to stay put while traveling on bumpy roads, regardless of how tight I made the adjustments on the swivel. I did not want to use any bungee cord across the TV to hold it in place while traveling ... but I suppose that works too. I also stuck with 32" as I didn't want to move the TV every time I needed to get into the two side cabinets.

I hope this helps some ... Dennis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1344.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	165409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1347.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	165410  

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	165411   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1343.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	165412  

Name:	IMG_1346.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	165416  
Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo Tom View Post
My 2007 Voyage still has the huge CRT in the front and one in the rear bedroom. I want to remove the old TV's and replace them with LCD's. I know I have seen threads in the past with pictures from those that have done this, but can't seem to find them now.

I need instructions on how to remove the wood framework for the front tv. I think I remember that many were able to build a mounting board attached to the metal framework for the new TV, again I can't seem to find the previous postings.

I am also interested in what other's have used for mounts. Most of the wall mounts that I have seen in stores seem less than secure. I am concerned that the TV might bounce out of the mounting while on the road. I would be interested in hearing what other people have used for secure mounting. I think I saw a moveable mount somewhere that locks for travel, but can't find that again either. Brand name and model # of your preferred mounts would be appreciated.
I purchased matching doors for the hole and used a wall mount for a flat screen mounted on bottom of cabinet I would add picture but can't figure out how.
1953Tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Regarding the issue of TV mounts, I bought a couple different types of TV mounts on Groupon and sites like that for about $35 to $50 each. I was not sure what I was going to encounter when I removed the existing TV, so I wanted a couple different mounts so I could complete the project in the same day. I ultimately used a TV mount from Harbor Freight for $20. I was able to bolt it nicely to the cabinet and it gave me some flexibility in connecting the TV to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3116.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	169032   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3120.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	169033  

Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
The 32 will look great and fits inside the hole perfectly but it's rather small for the size of the coach.

Well Sir, I don't know what your original arrangement of the cabinetry surrounding your original TV looks like but, a 32" WILL NOT fit in the present hole for ours. It will fit vertically but, not horizontally. I will have to modify my face frame to accept it horizontally. And it IS the largest TV that will fit, in that area, if we don't want to destroy the use of the adjacent cabinets, on both sides. Besides, those adjacent cabinets house the Satalite control box and Blue Ray player on the left and, on the right, there is the multi-switch box and new Marantz receiver, and the Pioneer amp that was needed to power the factory sub woofers.

I have seen where folks have used extra large TVs and actually overlapped the two cabinet doors on each side. It's ok if that's your thing but, I, like many, are trying to keep it looking as close to original and still get the function and improvement of a newer, modern TV.

Mark,
I don't remember yours all that much other than it was overlapping the original hole horizontally. I'm gonna pull my face frame down and slice off some of the inside of each up-right ( the actual correct term is "Style" for you cabinet builders out there) to be able to accommodate that new LED unit. I'm still finishing up my small speaker boxes for the Bose speakers I installed for the radio use only. Once that is complete, I start on the hole for the TV.

Once that's done, then I attack the rear bedroom TV. That one will be easy.
Scott
Thanks for showing the photos. Exactly what I was thinking could be done.
Hacksaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, upgrade