Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
AndrewnPam

TOGO - "Unlimited" Data for RV's?

Hello Quick Question,
So I was researching better "unlimited" cell and network / tethering plans and I came across this Wingard V2 variant backed by Thor Motor Coach and another partner, called the TOGO.

The ability for anyone to host the TOGO hardware was opened up to other RV's besides the Airstream back around Feb 2019. Prepay $360 for the year - according to sites I looked at it appears to have good large download capacity. As a 'full-timer' working remotely I need work-data and movies from on-line retailers.

Informational video: Wingard TOGO C2 RV Wi-Fi System & $30 Unlimited AT&T 4G Data!

TOGO Web site.... ( https://www.runswithtogo.com/roadlink-product-details )

--> Anyone have experience with the TOGO / AT&T package?

We use the 'unlimited' plan on another "V"endor and after 22GB we have no usable access. Network availability is good, speeds are good until you hit the wall. So comparing my cell provider to AT&T they appear to be close to similar coverage. Here is a link to the Connected-Car prepaid plans: https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/airstream.html
AndrewnPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have an "unlimited" plan with AT&T, but that's unlimited talk, text and cellular data. The mobile hotspot data (ie, internet) is limited to 15GB per month per phone on the plan. So I get 15GB / month and my wife gets 15GB / month. If we're not streaming video, that's more than enough. My experience has been that streaming video (Netflix, YouTube, DirecTV NOW, etc) sucks up about 1/2 GB per hour. So between us, we can get about 60 hours of video per month. As soon as we a) bring the grandkids on board; or b) start tailgating during football season and want to watch games we very quickly hit our limits.

I did find this vendor: Skyroam Hotspot | WiFi Wherever You Travel. You buy their Solis X wifi hotspot (connect 10 devices) for about $180 list price OR their standard Solis (connect up to 5 devices) for about $150 list price. You can also rent the device for $8.99 per day, which would work for a short trip. Then you can either buy unlimited wifi data for a 24 hour period for $9 (which would be perfect for us on game day); OR 1GB of data per month for $9 per month & buy as many 1GB as you need; OR unlimited data for $130 per month (special offer currently for $100 per month). No contracts, cancel any time. NO CLUE how good the service actually is and whether the company is long term viable. But definitely something I plan to check out as tailgating season draws closer.

Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with SkyRoam?
Fritos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Check out NetBuddy
ItinUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
Site Team

These resellers come and go all the time. Never heard of SkyRoam. Netbuddy has been around awhile, though.

This topic is one with lots of ins and outs. To get up to speed check out www.rvmobileinternet.com. This site specializes in up to date info about the best ways to get internet while on the road. There is lots of info there for free, but you’ll quickly notice that to really get all the info you have to pay to join.

I’ve been a member for 3-years now and have found it to be well worth the cost. But you can check it out first for free.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:35 AM   #5
Site Team

I have the AT&T Mobley. It’s a OBD II port device that is built to give older cars the “connected car” ability. I got it in 2017 when we were just getting into full-time travel while I full-time work too. It’s the same data plan that that Togo uses. I’ve only been to a few places where it’s not worked for me and in at least one of those there was no cell service for ATT or Verizon so I’m not sure if that really counts.

The plan itself is unlimited to 22gb then they *may* throttle you. If you’re in a busy place you may see this when the “retirees” are checking their email in the morning and from 5-10ish PM when people tend to stream more. I just had a month where I used 200GB (the wife started working too and we were in a place with no OTA tv so we streamed a lot).

We rarely (read as 99% of the time) connect to park wifi as we’re a bring your own rig. We have a router to get past the limit of 5 device connections and the router connects wirelessly to the Mobley. I guess I’m just trying to say that the service if you can get it cheap enough is good enough to travel the country (or at least where we’ve been for the past 2 years / 26K miles.