Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

With all the talk about replacing the radios in our Winnebago's I was wondering if anyone has added or modified their speakers?

In our Sightseer, and I assume others are similar, the speakers are located in the cabinets above the driver and passenger. As a result I end up having to turn the volume up. Has anyone tried to aim the speakers down or mounted any that are located better for the driver/passenger seats?
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

With all the talk about replacing the radios in our Winnebago's I was wondering if anyone has added or modified their speakers?

In our Sightseer, and I assume others are similar, the speakers are located in the cabinets above the driver and passenger. As a result I end up having to turn the volume up. Has anyone tried to aim the speakers down or mounted any that are located better for the driver/passenger seats?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Y-Guy, I was just thinking the same thing. Also, how hard to just add more speakers in the ceiling of the RV.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Y-Guy:

Good question, I am happy with the sound from my stock speakers. The salesman at the radio store took me into his sound room and tried to explain the various speakers that are available, but I wanted to give the stock speakers a try with a new radio.

My brother-in-law took out his standard sound system in his Monaco and replaced it with an entire new home entertainment system. The sound it great, he said it was easy to rewire the coach by removing panels and pulling wire.

Adding new speakers should be an easy weekend project.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would think that the main problem would be the "pulling" of new speaker wires. If you can find the "channel" that they are in and use the old to pull new, then not a problem. But to run wires to locations that do not presently have speakers it might get tedious. I would look at the electrical and see if there were other options for sound systems. If it had a "deluxe sound" option like mine, then there might be wiring already in place, just not connected.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Y-Guy,

One alternative would be to add tweeters that surface mount and also swivel. The high notes are very directional and that might give you a little more control.
Our coach has the cubes and I moved the right one to the driver's side of the front TV cabinet. That allows me to turn up the volume and not hurt my wife's more sensitive ears. The wires were pretty easy to find behind the front TV and cabinets. I extended the one and remounted it.

Dave
Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I replaced the front speakers with a pair of Polk Spreakers. The difference was night an day. The stock speakers are lacking the low and high frequency abilities so the sound is muffled. The other thing was after installing the speakers was to put on acoustic back covers.

The audio store also told me that I should replace the fabric face with some thin covering as the fabric will absorb some of the sound. The speakers were already in so that will be the next project

The sound is MUCH clearer than before. Now my DW is complaining about the rear speakers.

Good Luck
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Good ideas - thanks!

I think my first step will be to replace the front speakers and see how that does.

XBoater - which Polk speakers did you go with?