Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Another thought - if you still have the old TV, you could scrounge the added jacks and see how they were connected...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:33 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Tom:

You don't know how I've kicked myself for not keeping the old TV around longer....it was 'dumpsterized' last week. That was before I found out that no TV that would fit in the opening has audio outputs. I would love to have removed the stuff from the old RCA.

I got two 10K pots at Rad. Shack and a small project box. I'm going to create the box with the pots and hope that I can easily get to the speaker terminals (the TV is waiting for me in Richmond, VA...only one I could find was in a Best Buy 160 miles from me). Best Buy refused to ship to me...local Best Buy store refused to order one for me...had to have relatives in Richmond get it for me.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:51 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Chris - before you go to the trouble of mounting the pots in a project box, I would just wire it all up (actually just practice on one channel - unplug the other one) to see if it works. You might not even need to solder anyhing - just get some 22 gauge solid hookup wire and twist it all together. Once you get it all sorted out, you can 'pretty' it up.

In these days of the Internet, it shouldn't be that difficult to order a TV fer crying out loud

Let us know how it works out.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:30 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

I agree with John - don't go to too much trouble. Once the level is adjusted on the pots, you never need access to them again. So they could just be tied to any convenient anchor inside the TV cabinet and forgotten. The other thing you'll need is a couple of RCA phono jacks to mount on the back of your TV. Connect the center tap of the pot to the center contact of the jack and, of course, the ground side of the speaker wiring to the ground/shield connection on the phono jack. When you're all done, the only visable change to the TV will be the new jacks.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:19 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Well, I just finished making up the box....two pots, two pairs of phono jacks (R & L, in/out). My plan is to install R & L outputs from the speakers to the back of the TV..I will leave the box where I can reach it if I need to.

Hope this works. Thanks for all the help.

John...about Best Buy...they have the TV (Sharp 25c340) on their web page...however, they refuse to ship it. The wouldn't even ship to one of their stores...said I had to go to the store and have them special order it. When I did that, the store personnel said it was listed as 'deleted' and would not order it for me. Great customer service...eh??
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I would guess that you have the Q Surround Sound - which is a pos. No true surround sound - it just uses the front speaker input from your radio or TV for all 4 channels and for both base speakers (if you have them). For example if you try to FADE the radio speakers from front to back - you can only fade both the front and rear speakers from loud to no sound. Try it.

But having said all that you may have a very easy fix so that it will be as good as it can be - which is not very good but as good as it was before you had to replace the TV.

If you have the Winnebago RV Radio there is input jacks on the back of it that will accept the audio output from your SAT receiver. just plug the audio into them and switch the dash radio to AUX and you will have the signal on the radio with all controls - volume, base, etc.

PHE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quick follow up to my front TV issue.... The Sharp 25C340 fit like a glove. It was also very easy to attached wires to the speakers for outputs to the Q-Surround. The 10K pots worked like a charm. TV is in, Q-Surround works as it did before. DW is happy.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:15 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Glad it worked out so well and thanks for the update. If I keep my Journey as long as I plan to, I may face the same problem some day. My unit came with a 24" Sony flat screen (not flat panel) and the owner's manual doesn't show any audio outputs. Somebody must be adding them for Winnie and I doubt that it's Sony...
Old 09-12-2005, 03:01 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
DW is happy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy

Good job Chris

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:41 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Tom:

We looked at the Sony WEGA flat sceen 24" as a potential replacement. It would not fit due to width...but it did not have any audio out jacks. None of the tube TV's we inspected had outputs...some of the flat LCD's did.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Really surprised that the Sony wouldn't fit. That's the model that I have and it's factory original. Winnie must have changed the cabinetry to use the Sony - surprised they went to that much expense.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Tom:

When I called Winne about a replacement TV, they advised the opening was engineered for the particular TV they were using on that model of motorhome that year. They then told me the TV model for my rig had been discontinued.

I think the engineering could be improved to make that steel cage behind the trim somewhat adjustable (the width, at least) to accomodate some variance in TV's. Maybe RV TV's hold up pretty well and it is usually not a problem. My local experts tell me the 25" RCA TV's were problematic.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I need similar help. So I have new to me a 2002 Itasca Horizon. The surround sound volume is not adjustable when on TV mode. But on radio mode, the sound adjusts fine. The TV volume on the remote does not adjust the sound (regular TV or dvd). The TV output volume is fixed. The rig has the stock Sharp 25 inch TV. Anyone know how to get sound addjustment when in TV mode. I cannot beleive that the factory config is no sound adjustment. BTW, the sound is very loud on the surround when in TV mode making it not possible use the sound system.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:26 AM   #34
Winnie-Wise

I replaced my front TV with a new 32" LCD panel TV. On the back it had the RCA outlets for sound out. When I went into surround sound on the coach, it "blew me away" with the volume and no adjustment available in the menu. Found out that the output is a not a variable output and this is not uncommon on today's TV's. I went to Navone Engineering (they have a web site and you can order from the site). They have a stereo remote volume control which has RCA plugs in and out and a passive stereo potentiometer in the package. It is a small black box about 2" square and about 3/4 inch thick. I installed it and "walaa" -- now I can control the volume from the TV when I go into surround sound. I have left the box loose beside the TV behind the front molding on the cabinet -- easy to get to. The cost of the "box" was $21.50 and the shipping was $6.00. I ordered two as I think I may have the same problem when I connect the new rear LCD monitor to the remote speakers in the bedroom. This is a nice package that will solve the problem.

The web site location is www.autosound2000.com and then scroll down the page (first item after stereo amps) until you see the product N-22V. The description is there.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Thanks David K for the tip. I will try this box if I cannot get the surround hooked up to the TV with variable vol control. I don't really want to remove my TV right now. BTW, did you consider connecting the audio out of the rear TV to the rear stereo? I was thinking about doing this some way. The rear stock TV sound is very bad - only one side speaker on this 19in TV - but the stereo sound is great in the rear bed room so I was thinking if this stereo has an aux input, then that would be great for the rear TV.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

Jhanan - I just looked at the parts list for your rig on the Winnie web site and guess what? It lists a 25" RCA as original for your rig. Your Sharp must be a replacement and probably has no audio out jacks as was the original problem on this thread. That's probably also why the previous owner wired the DVD output to the surround amp.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:23 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Tomsm - you got it - thanks for looking - as I kept messing arround with the TV, I could never find a config to turn off the internal speakers - which would be required to use external surround system - so yes, I think you got it. I will have go with the external vol control pot until I replace the TV (long range plan to go to an HD unit). (now if I could only find a N-22V like unit with a wireless remote control!)
Old 07-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Jhanan

That is why I bought 2 of the boxes. I plan on connecting the new 26" LCD that I put in the back to the rear stereo. I figured if I had the same problem, I would go ahead and have the box ready to insert in the circuit. I really like the way the front one is controlled. As far as a remote control for it, after you set it the first time, unless you really want to increase the volume or decrease it, you do not have to make any further changes to it.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Curiosity got me on this so I went into my TV menu. There I found, under "AUDIO" 3 selections. They were Variable Sound, speaker On/off and FIXED volume speakers off. With the last one selected, I got my surround sound only and wasn't able to control the volume at all. Hope that helps.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

If your TV has a headphone connector you can connect an adapter that will allow audio input to the surround sound. The volume control adjusts the output of the headphone output. This does disable the internal speakers of the TV but that really does not matter with surround sound. I did this with a LCD TV that I recently installed in place of the tube monster.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote