Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sound system

Hello, I have a 2004 Adventurer 35u with the 5.1 surround system and my dash unit crapped out. I have gotten rid of the original tank tv and replaced it with a Sony Bravia 32" led one that only has a 3.5mm headphone audio out. I have read some of the threads that talk abut getting into the tv menu and selecting variable audio out which of course my Sony doesn't have. Right now I have a Y adapter from the systems rca to a 3.5 into the tv. I get sound through the system but one volume only.....loud! The tv remote does not change the volume of the system and the tv's speakers are defeated. I've also read that the DHS system has a dedicated power amp for the "tv" section. My question is does anyone know if there is a separate set of power amps in my system for the "stereo" or is the dash unit powered. What options do I have in getting my system up and running like it was designed to? Thanks for any help in this matter!
Old 08-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

One option is to open up the back of the new TV and connect the sound system input directly to the TV speakers. That's what Winnebago did with my original Sony tube TV and what I did when I replaced it, as illustrated in my earlier thread on the topic: Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Chris, nice job on your new tv install! Connecting the system to the speaker output of the tv seems like a fairly simple solution, is the"walwart" a filter of sorts? Where do I get one and what do I ask for? That would solve that issue. The radio/cd player is a different issue. I would like to replace it with a modern unit but I'm not sure what to buy. If there are separate power amps driving the speakers then I need to get a pre amp unit only. I called crutchfield and explained what I have and they have no idea how the system was designed. Winnebago (factory service) was of no help either. I haven't torn the system apart yet until I have more info.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I assume the 'wart' (no wall-) is a filter. It was in place on the audio line connected to the original TV. I just unsoldered the wires from the old Sony and soldered them to the speakers on my new Vizio TV.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Btw, the TV/VCR, Front Wiring Installation for your coach should show you how the original TV was hooked up.

You also may find the TV Coax Wiring Diagram and TV/VCR, Side Wiring Installation diagrams helpful.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

monarchman53, here is the link to the wiring diagrams for your coach this may help. The filter is a ground loop isolator.
Wiring Diagrams
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again Chris, I'm not very sharp when it comes to electronic stuff but I am learning. And thanks Grant for your input. According to the diagrams my power amp is in the overhead left of the tv area. I'll see if I can track it down. I'm not sure what I did with the wire that was connected to my original tv (I swapped it out 3 years ago) so I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchman53 View Post
Thanks again Chris, I'm not very sharp when it comes to electronic stuff but I am learning. And thanks Grant for your input. According to the diagrams my power amp is in the overhead left of the tv area. I'll see if I can track it down. I'm not sure what I did with the wire that was connected to my original tv (I swapped it out 3 years ago) so I'll see what I can come up with.
Actually, if you have the surround sound 5.1 system I think you need to look at page 7 of the Front End Wiring Installation diagram for your coach for the amplifier.

If I remember correctly on my coach the wires from the amplifier (down in the left front outside compartment for me) ended up near the TV with a set of male RCA plugs that plugged into the 'wart' cable. I would presume that yours was setup up similarly. I guessing that RIVER PARK @ 1-800-442-7717 supplied Winnebago with the TVs (and surround system) with the 'wart' cable already attached to the TV. You might give them a call if you care about including the ground loop isolator and see if they have the cable available.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here is an option, there may be others, that you can use to remotely control your line level tv output to your coach amp:

MCM Custom Audio Line Level Volume Control with IR Remote | 50-8394 (508394) | MCM Custom Audio

I'm not sure if you could pair this up with your tv remote or not.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Fyi, from a posting on rvnet here's the info on the 'wart':
“Wort” Riverpark Audio, Elkhart IN, MT02 Modification Pigtail, Part #0000HRN-MT02, $10.xx + shipping=$24.70

Old 08-23-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I've never heard of a headphone output for a TV where the audio out wasn't controlled by the remote. Doesn't make sense because most headphones are not amplified, and have no way to set or adjust the volume.

Have you contacted Sony's tech support?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again for all your help Chris. I saw the amp on page 7 but I'm not sure what I was looking at. Back of dash? The text really wasn't clear as to location. I will try calling river park for that part.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I've never heard of a headphone output for a TV where the audio out wasn't controlled by the remote. Doesn't make sense because most headphones are not amplified, and have no way to set or adjust the volume.

Have you contacted Sony's tech support?
I thought the same thing. Maybe it's not considered a headphone out (I've not tried headphones in it), all I know is that the sound comes out of it and into the system at one volume only.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

As I understand, the Riverpark DHS system was optional on some units. Some just have an amp for the TV. The Surround sound system uses inputs from both tv and dash radio, dependent on the tv/radio switch position.

On my 03 Adventurer the DHS surround amp was located on the passenger sidewall under the dash.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
As I understand, the Riverpark DHS system was optional on some units. Some just have an amp for the TV. The Surround sound system uses inputs from both tv and dash radio, dependent on the tv/radio switch position.

On my 03 Adventurer the DHS surround amp was located on the passenger sidewall under the dash.
Thanks Dan, when I have a little time I'll do a little hunting. When I had everything apart a couple of years ago I followed the wire from the center channel speaker and it was connected to something under the shelf that the vcr combo unit was sitting on left of the tv. To get at it one would have to dismantle the whole overhead! I don't know if that was some sort of junction box or an amp. Why can't they make things simple for us?