Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I am attempting to connect an Apple TV to my RV video system. I thought I could connect to the existing connections routed to my Sony DVD/VHS player. I looked at the Sony connections and found the red, white and yellow RCA connections (audio and video). The Sony player also has two coax cable connections: In for antennae and out to TV. THe coax wires route through the wall and probably to the TV. Any idea what these connections are for. I see no need for antennae input to the DVD player.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am attempting to connect an Apple TV to my RV video system. I thought I could connect to the existing connections routed to my Sony DVD/VHS player. I looked at the Sony connections and found the red, white and yellow RCA connections (audio and video). The Sony player also has two coax cable connections: In for antennae and out to TV. THe coax wires route through the wall and probably to the TV. Any idea what these connections are for. I see no need for antennae input to the DVD player.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It has a VHS recorder in it as well, yes? A tad archaic these days, but that's why the antenna input.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes it has a VHS recorder with the DVD player.

If I replace this unit with a new slim DVD player will I lose anything by disconnecting the coax cables?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Well, on mine it's a combo VHS/ DVD Surround Sound amp, bla-bla. If you're replacing it with something like the Bose Home entertainment center with the built-in amps you'll be fine with audio. But make sure that you have an RF OUT to feed back into the distribution switch or you will lose the DVD at the rear TV since it's probably fed via RF (at least mine is).

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The AppleTv only has component (RGB) and HDMI 16:9 video output. You would need to upgrade to a new LCD or Plasma for that to work. The COAX cables are connected to the RF video switcher that routes the antenna and cable TV signals to the two TV's. They do not go to the TV per se.
aux_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think yours may be configured the same as mine. The A/V cables go to the front TV to provide a better picture than what you'd get through the video selection switch. You watch that input on the TV by switching the TV input to Video 1. I'm talking about on the TV itself and not the video selection switch. Doesn't matter what's selected on the switch.

The 2 coax cables are to and from the video selector box. The input coax gives you whatever input you select for the VCR on the selector switch. The output coax feeds the DVD/VCR output to the selector switch. So, if you don't connect the input coax, you won't be able to record on the VCR from any source. If you don't connect the output coax you won't be able to watch the DVD/VCR output on the outside or bedroom TV.

Hope that didn't make it more confusing...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote